Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chattanooga 70.3 practice swim
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations on where to get in an open water practice swim in Chattanooga the day before the 70.3 race next week?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 practice swim [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chickamauga Dam. Watch out for goose poop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know in the past the local swim group has had support kayaks out but I haven’t seen anything mentioned about that on the chatty fb group page. It’s possible current is a bit high right now

I’ll probably swim at the dam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip swimming in the river and go to the YMCA downtown instead. Decent pool and usually free with an IM wristband on.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 practice swim [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have heard some folks advise for river swim races to NOT do the river before race day for fear of getting sick. Is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would skip the swimming in the river because it's typically super fast the day before the race so it'll be like a treadmill going upstream and hold on going downstream. One year I tried like hell to swim from the steps at coolidge park to veterans bridge. I finally gave up after about 10 minutes and having only gone 300 yards. I turned around and took maybe 2 minutes to get back to the steps.

I've never gotten sick in that river. But if you want to test out your wetsuit and get in the river, go over to Coolidge park on the north shore side and swim upstream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't bother with an OW practice swim, but what I would recommend is checking out the course the day before and looking for landmarks to help with navigation. You can often do that from dry land.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 8, 19 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 practice swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

I've learned that, for me, I'm not going to forget how to swim if I miss these last second swims. Flipside, I'm not going to get any 'looser' or get faster if I do get the swim in. It's just one less thing to do.

To each their own, tho.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: May 8, 19 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga 70.3 practice swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I wouldn't bother with an OW practice swim, but what I would recommend is checking out the course the day before and looking for landmarks to help with navigation. You can often do that from dry land.

It's easy to check out the course day before. After a short against the current start, it's all with current after that. And you pass under 3 bridges. Most obvious landmarks ever. Once you pass under 3rd it's getting pretty close to finished. It's a nice swim and super easy to navigate although I'm seen people veering all over the place on the swim.
Quote Reply