Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chattanooga- Anyone going?
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my first IM. It's sold out and I'm curious how many on this board will be there. Any advice from past participants?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [TennesseeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Second IM, first time in Chatt. History of being pretty hot. I rode the course last month. The bike is slower on the way out with more climbing overall, but you make up for it on the way back. Roads are pretty good on the loop portion with a few short exceptions. Save some for the run, which is fairly hilly and often with little shade. Town loves the race from what I hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeTri wrote:
I'm in for my first IM. It's sold out and I'm curious how many on this board will be there. Any advice from past participants?

Be ready for the heat. Occasionally its not bad but there are years where is down right awful with high DNF rates. The last time I did it the heat index during the marathon was 104.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing it, 1st time doing IMChatt and pretty excited about it

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second IMCHOO (did it last year) and 16th full Ironman. Last year's weather was great and its looking like a repeat for Sunday (fingers crossed). Easy swim, moderate bike, hard run when you get to the hills. I didn't execute well on the run last year so I'm back for one more attempt to podium a full distance race and then retire from them;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for my 4th full IM and first time at Chattanooga. Very much looking forward to it.

Anyone know if we are allowed to swim in the Tennessee River on Friday and / or Saturday? Also, does anyone know the water temp and if it is looking like it will be wetsuit legal or not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it still 116 miles?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [lesmash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athlete guide mentions a spot across the River from swim out. Facebook group recommends day use area at Chicamauga lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's really hot then dump water on your arm coolers and jersey at every bike aid station. I was there in 2017 when it was quite toasty and never felt too bad on the bike. Also when you are down there only sleep with AC on o/w try to keep the windows open to get used to the heat. A friend who is a former pro taught me that one. Don't know if it's psychological or physiologic but it sure seemed to help me acclimate (coming from the cooler environment of Ohio).
Also, have fun. If you finish you will PR no matter what!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year and really enjoyed it. There is a pretty steep hill around mile 7 or 8 (and again on the second loop). I can’t remember the name of it, but I wish I would have walked it instead of running it the first loop. That was the point I finally blew up.

A small complaint- With Little Debbie as the sponsor, it should have been raining snack cakes the entire weekend. I expected a full spread when I crossed the finish. All the options…All they had were some Oatmeal Cream Pies.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [mowilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if there are any pros? There was a great 2021 lineup but that was last minute after the California IM was cancelled due to weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be Barton Avenue hill. I know it well.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
That would be Barton Avenue hill. I know it well.

Barton Avenue Hell

Fixed it for you...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got checked in today. Pretty simple process but I have a minor gripe. Why no Saturday check in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is never day before check in for full IM races.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Times have really changed; arrived at Athlete Village around 2:30pm on Friday and no line to buy merchandise and no line to register. Got to say that’s nice but it makes me wonder about the state of the sport. Twenty years ago it took at least an hour to get through registration…
Last edited by: TJ56: Sep 23, 22 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4th time, 11th full IM.
  1. Plan and be proactive being ready.
  2. Don't wait until the last minute... for ANYTHING.
  3. Go to at least 1 athlete briefing in person.
  4. Have backup plans for the "oh crap" moments that you can think of.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m here! Staying at raccoon mountain campground just outside chatty. Swam at the day use area just above the dam today, they have a cordoned swim area with bathrooms and you can get a run in too.

Others have already said it but pace those hills on the run, they got me on the second lap last year.

Chickamauga Battlefield is a nice place to ride the bike for a final shakeout.

Best of luck to all the competitors!
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Sep 23, 22 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my 2nd IMCHOO this weekend. Tough conditions on the bike: rain at first then some moderate winds. But I'll take that over 97deg anyway. Road quality seems to be deteriorating, was way worse than I remember and there were a LOT of flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Give me a Nutty Butty at every aid station!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeTri wrote:

Do you know when it sold out this year? I'm considering it for 2023.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
TennesseeTri wrote:

I don’t remember exactly but it was open for at least a couple months after initially opening. I did my first and second full IMs at Chatty these last 2 years and really enjoyed the experiences, as did my family when they went last year. Fun downtown, stuff for kids to do, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
TennesseeTri wrote:

It sold out a month or two before the race but only 1600 started. In past years it's been over 2500. I'm not sure what that means.
  • They've reduced the number of racers?
  • They just call it full at some point to make planning easier?
  • A ton of people didn't show up?

Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga- Anyone going? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Stelvio wrote:
TennesseeTri wrote:

It sold out a month or two before the race but only 1600 started. In past years it's been over 2500. I'm not sure what that means.

• They've reduced the number of racers?
  • They just call it full at some point to make planning easier?
  • A ton of people didn't show up?

Thanks.

I was curious so I pulled these numbers from Obstri

2022=1653 Participants, 1491 Finishers, 1 DQ, 125 DNF and 36 DNS
2021=2038 Participants, 1825 Finishers 0 DQ, 184 DNF and 29 DNS
2019=2060 Participants, 1308 Finishers 3 DQ, 405 DNF and 344 DNS
2018=2579 Participants, 1889 Finishers 4 DQ, 238 DNF and 448 DNS

Look at the drop in DNS after changing the deferral policy!
Quote Reply