Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [trophyhusband] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trophyhusband wrote:
The bike and run courses have been posted: http://setupevents.com/...Half_Course_Maps.pdf

Our triclub regularly rides a good portion of this route! Lots of FAST sections in there. Some rollers as well, but nothing too crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fastest bike split prediction?
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me :)

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [trophyhusband] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That run course is no joke! I run those roads often enough and it is going to hurt. Bike course is going to be awesome.

John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are some guesses for how quickly it'll sell out? I figured I'd have some time to register but seeing as how it's limited to 500, I'm not so sure now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:

Not a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2:18, if only the usual SetUp crowd is racing, maybe as fast as 2:13 or 2:14 if an out-of-towner decides to show up and hammer the bike. I don't think the course will be that fast. Mooresville and Davidson are fairly hilly. You, me, and Donny struggle to crack 24mph on the Lake Norman Y course even though we've each been 26+ on flat courses this year...Donny split 23.8mph this year if the course was the stated 17mi. Stumpy Creek, on the other hand, is a bit faster (you were 25 flat there this year, right?). Given that the course will be a bit of a mix between the two general regions (not the exact courses, but the types of terrain), and the fact that the Half is ~twice as long as Stumpy, I think the winning average on the bike will be low to mid 24mph. a 24.3 avg works out to a 2:18ish...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
2:18, if only the usual SetUp crowd is racing, maybe as fast as 2:13 or 2:14 if an out-of-towner decides to show up and hammer the bike. I don't think the course will be that fast. Mooresville and Davidson are fairly hilly. You, me, and Donny struggle to crack 24mph on the Lake Norman Y course even though we've each been 26+ on flat courses this year...Donny split 23.8mph this year if the course was the stated 17mi. Stumpy Creek, on the other hand, is a bit faster (you were 25 flat there this year, right?). Given that the course will be a bit of a mix between the two general regions (not the exact courses, but the types of terrain), and the fact that the Half is ~twice as long as Stumpy, I think the winning average on the bike will be low to mid 24mph. a 24.3 avg works out to a 2:18ish...

Lake Norman was just under 18 (17.8). Tons of turns at the end. Crappy bike course IMO

I'd guess 2:16-2:18. You gonna do long-course at all next year? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting jaw surgery at an undetermined date between 4 and 6 months from now,so I'm just going to squeeze in what I can before that happens, and perhaps salvage what I can of the rest of the season. I might be more content with being laid up for a month post-surgery if I go long a few weeks before, but you and I both know I suck donkey penis at races longer than 2hr :). I'm meeting with my surgeon Dec. 7 so I may get a more specific timeline then.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
jbnc77 wrote:

Not a chance.

OK, Nick White will have the fastest bike split

John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by: jbnc77: Nov 8, 12 20:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
jbnc77 wrote:

Not a chance.

OK, Nick White will have the fastest bike split

James Duff/Rich Allen

If we're talking NC residents and racers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
That run course is no joke! I run those roads often enough and it is going to hurt. Bike course is going to be awesome.

No kidding about that. There are a few pretty decent hills on that run course and lots of smaller hills between them. Not going to be very many people getting PRs on that course.

I agree on the bike too. I ride those roads every weekend, well, not now that I have a broken ankle, but before that...

Lots of rollers with a few climbs, but I don't think there is a climb of more than 200' anywhere. The biggest climbs I see are:

* Longish shallow climb on Wiggins up to 801 at about mile 10
* Centenary Church Rd. at about mile 30 is significant, little steep (maybe 5% avg.?) and 3/4 mile or so
* Rocky RIver Rd. at about mile 43 up to Shearer's past the Food Lion is probably the toughest of the group, around 180' and 6% or so

I don't have access to my ride records here at the office, so those are all from memory. Do you see any other significant climbs?

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is definitely NOT a PR course. The swim times will be slow, IMHO. While I've never swam in that section off of Langtree. Most areas, like that, in LKN have a slight current in some direction. With that swim course set up, you're likely to have a slight head or cross current for most of that portion.

The bike course is not hard but does have a few rollers. The worst hill will be coming up Rocky River to Shearers. Which, again IMHO, is one of the steeper "hills" around here. This course reminds me of Augusta in some ways. I'd say slightly steeper in sections, but similar in that it has rollers with some flat sections where you can pick up time.

The run course is not easy. There is a nasty little hill towards the end, if I am reading that map correctly, coming back up to Bailey Rd. This should make for a bunch of walkers in that section.

Definitely excited to see this in the area and I'll be doing this rather than Augusta in 2013. Can't wait!

-------------------------------------------------------
Check out {re}vici Upscale Casual Triathlon Apparel
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Fish2587] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Saturday bike check will hurt registration. Even from the Charlotte area, who want to make 2 trips to the site. When I saw a Charlotte half I could not wait but after the Sat. bike check I am out. I am not getting a motel room when I live 45 minutes away.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Macmean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macmean wrote:
The Saturday bike check will hurt registration. Even from the Charlotte area, who want to make 2 trips to the site. When I saw a Charlotte half I could not wait but after the Sat. bike check I am out. I am not getting a motel room when I live 45 minutes away.

I can see not wanting to waste 2-3 hours of your day on Saturday (I live about 45min from the race site as well). But, then again, what are you doing the day before a Half IM?

On the other hand, I kinda like checking the bike on Saturday. It makes for a smoother, less stressful race morning. The Saturday bike check, actually makes me want to do this race more.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1.....less crap I have to carry in on race morning the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ladder exit??

Can we say "bottleneck"

http://www.SpeedyLizard.com
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [marcbarton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcbarton wrote:
Ladder exit??

Can we say "bottleneck"

Sounds like this thread would be very beneficial to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [marcbarton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcbarton wrote:
Ladder exit??

Can we say "bottleneck"

Holy crap.......you registered three years ago, and this is your first post?!?!?!?!

Since you are following the Charlotte 70.3 thread, I'll assume you know about the races at White Lake and a very popular race known as B2B. FWIW, both of those venues have ladder exits.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know there was a minimum per year post quota. :-P

Just started following the thread to be notified with replies.

I do know of those races but haven't raced them or know of their swim logistics. I've primarily focused on XTERRA races the past 6 years. I did Augusta in 2011 and had a blast. Since this race is local, I'd love to give it a shot.

Given this is similar to those other races and the number of racers, I assume that the ladder exit isn't just a single-person ladder. Is that correct?

http://www.SpeedyLizard.com
Quote Reply
Re: Charlotte, NC First 70.3 - September 29, 2013 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
marcbarton wrote:
Ladder exit??

Can we say "bottleneck"

Holy crap.......you registered three years ago, and this is your first post?!?!?!?!

Since you are following the Charlotte 70.3 thread, I'll assume you know about the races at White Lake and a very popular race known as B2B. FWIW, both of those venues have ladder exits.

There's a rather large difference in wave size b/w a 500 person race and a 2500 person race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next