Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing Tires in a Race.
Quote | Reply
This might be a no brainer, but then it wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of that.

I lent some race wheels to a friend, who has a nicer bike than mine (I'm jealous, but that's another thread).
We couldn't get the wheels off of the bike, front or rear, because the brakes were set narrower than the tires.
I looked all over for an adjustment screw, but nothing there on both the front and the rear (bottom bracket style) hidden brakes.
So the only way, according to the local wrench was to let the air out of the tires for the existing wheel and the new wheel before installing.

I would assume that in a race the only reason you change a wheel in a race is because it's flat. But then you would have to remember not to inflate the "fixed" wheel before mounting it. And I can envision all sorts of things going wrong with that scenario. Starting with standing the bike up on a flat, to put air in the tire......and all that can go wrong then.

Ok show me what an idiot I am.

???
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Tires in a Race. [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No barrel adjuster inline or on the brake caliper?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is super common when you have narrow rims with wide (25mm) tires. My old road bike wheels had 22mm brake tracks (IIRC) and getting them off with 25mm GP4K2 tires was tight, even with the brake's built-in release. It is easy since I upgraded to HED wheels with a 25mm brake track.

So yes, if you are running wide tires on narrow rims, you will have to install & remove while deflated on bikes without a brake release (and it will be tight if you have a release).
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Tires in a Race. [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked all over....nada. Didn't try the brake levers though.....but the hidden brake (in the forks) setup didn't have a whole lot of play anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Common enough problem I would think.
Generally easy enough to squeeze the tyre in while partially inflated, as opposed to flat which would avoid any hassle with tubes getting pinched etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let the air out of the tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Tires in a Race. [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let the air out of the tires.//

Or just jam it through..
Quote Reply