Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing Polar HRM Batteries ->DIY
Quote | Reply
So, my polar coach finally died this weekend. I had heard all sorts of horror stories re: sending it in for service, what you are charged, the several weeks it takes, etc. (One of my buddies had a serious headache with Polar service). So I figured I might as well try to DIY the battery change, even though polar says it will void you warranty (mine is expired anyway) and may allow water to leak in(?).

My advice...do it yourself. Anyone with a jewelers screwdriver, five minutes, $3.37 and a nearby grocery store can do this.

1) Take the screws off the back.

2) pull off the metal backing. Be careful, as the rubber gasket may stick to it. You don't want to manhandle this as it looks pretty fragile.

3) remove the watch from the plastic case.

4) Remove the gold colored battery retainer. be careful, it hooks to the watch by a clip on either side.

5) Pull out the battery and go to the supermarket (photo section) to get the appropriate replacement.

6) Put in the battery, reattatch the retainer, and carefully replace the watch into it's case.

7) Put the rubber gasket into the groove matching it on the case.

8) replace the back of the watch, carefully replace the screws and tighten them down.

Done deal. It took me less than five minutes, fifteen if you count the walk to and from the supermarket.

Anyway, here's hoping this helps someone.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Polar HRM Batteries ->DIY [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just make sure that you clean the gasket and caseback, some silicone lube helps sometimes too although most polars seem to use a neoprene gasket so it's okay without any lube. Good luck finding a S710 battery locally though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm... Do me a favor and jump in a pool while wearing the watch. I'm curious to see if it's still water resistant. I've messed with waterproof watches in the past and in doing so have made them unusable in the water. I was also careful to do my best to preserve the seal, but to no avail...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Polar Edge almost daily since 1989 or 1990 and have always changed the batteries myself with no waterproofing problems.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Polar HRM Batteries ->DIY [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been in the pool twice with it...no problems yet.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eventually you also have to change the batteries in the chest strap. Has anyone ever done this?

By the way, I've used these guys for service and purchases and they are good. I think you can also swap out old chest straps for new or reconditioned ones. They're also about 15 minutes from my house.

http://www.chponline.com/

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Polar HRM Batteries ->DIY [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chponline is also a authorized Polar service center. Bought my 710 from them, great company.

The battery in chest can't be replaced and still maintain waterproof seal. Unless you want to shoe goo it....

Service from CHP guys is much better that from main Polar service center. Plus everything gets tested out: water proof seals, remaining transmitter life. opposed to jumping into the pool with you $250 HRM and find out the hard way you screwed up the seal...
Quote Reply