Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts
Quote | Reply
Looks like there are going to be some angry Slowtwitchers!

http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz2SnyxkCEv

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Last edited by: tdschnei: May 9, 13 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Change to Ironman North American Swim Starts [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Self seeding. Streaming starts. Waves. All three will be used at the full distance. I also noticed the below 52 degrees and above 88 degrees change. That would mean CdA will always be a potential short swim or no swim at all. Yikes.
Last edited by: 3Aims: May 9, 13 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Change to Ironman North American Swim Starts [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IRONMAN Florida will feature a mass start based on self-seeding. Athletes will self-seed into swim start corrals based upon their estimated swim finish time. All athletes will have the traditional 17 hours to complete the entire event (subject to intermediate cutoffs).

How is this any different than what they have been doing? It's been a mass start and you seed yourself wherever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a happier slowtwitcher. I like the self-select seeding idea. Hopefully most people at the IM distance won't have eyes bigger than their stomachs, this will facilitate faster times for all, and more drafting opportunity.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Change to Ironman North American Swim Starts [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Quote:
IRONMAN Florida will feature a mass start based on self-seeding. Athletes will self-seed into swim start corrals based upon their estimated swim finish time. All athletes will have the traditional 17 hours to complete the entire event (subject to intermediate cutoffs).

How is this any different than what they have been doing? It's been a mass start and you seed yourself wherever you want.

It sounds like they will be better organized. I think they are going to organize you into groups before you enter the water. Or rather you organize your self into which group has a similar finish time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing IM Mont Tremblant and the press release says that it is a standard wave start (just like they do at the 70.3 there). No big deal at all. Should break up some of the drafting in the first 60k of the bike course. Great change

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little disappointed by this announcement. I should qualify that statement by saying I've never taken part in a mass start, IMMT was going to be my first this year, but watching videos of it was part of the lure for me. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if I had actually taken part in one though.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to Ironman North American Swim Starts [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Quote:

I read it as self seeding outside of the swim start - out of the water. Then a control filter through the arch to start your swim. Probably like 5-6 per second crossing the line to start the swim. The first few rows can run into the water and the rest will be walking in depending on the location. It will be interesting how they do this in Lake Placid when the swim loop is not two identical loops, the second loop is longer as you have to go around the dock.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to Ironman North American Swim Starts [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Quote:

I read it as self seeding outside of the swim start - out of the water. Then a control filter through the arch to start your swim. Probably like 5-6 per second crossing the line to start the swim. The first few rows can run into the water and the rest will be walking in depending on the location. It will be interesting how they do this in Lake Placid when the swim loop is not two identical loops, the second loop is longer as you have to go around the dock.

That's probably one of the reasons why they're switching to a clockwise swim at LP. Both laps finishing around the dock.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC you should be ashamed of yourself. You just took a dump on the hole sport. Wow, I think FINA should eliminate starting off blocks, well it is dangerous.....how about all those other sports, bobsled, OMG that is too fast.....Makes me want to throw up.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [clarkoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clarkoe wrote:
I'm a little disappointed by this announcement. I should qualify that statement by saying I've never taken part in a mass start, IMMT was going to be my first this year, but watching videos of it was part of the lure for me. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if I had actually taken part in one though.

I was also upset based on the fact that I've never done a mass start either... until I read that IMLT will still have a mass start just with self seeding corrals (or whatever they called it).

I just hate age group wave starts. Not only do you have to wait around for 10, 20, 30 minutes but once you do start you have an endless amount of people who suck at swimming in front of you.

Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
, this will facilitate faster times for all, and more drafting opportunity.

ABSOLUTELY!

but $20 says that the a-hole swimming 2hrs is going to seed himself at the front...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
I am a happier slowtwitcher. I like the self-select seeding idea. Hopefully most people at the IM distance won't have eyes bigger than their stomachs, this will facilitate faster times for all, and more drafting opportunity.

x2.

**Like**

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I don't get is why implement a "pilot" program and the North American Championship?!?!? They should have two amateur waves....competitive and friendly. Competitive is eligible for awards, Kona, premes, etc. Friendly is not. Friendly goes off ~5min after competitive. Only the slowest swimmers would get caught on a two loop course...and it wouldn't be a swarm at that point...just a handful of the best swimmers.

Glad to see they are going to attempt to permit a warm up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How will they handle the finish? Will the cutoff be midnight or 17 hours? There could be athletes finishing after midnight, but still under 17 hours. How will they handle that?
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
WTC you should be ashamed of yourself. You just took a dump on the hole sport. Wow, I think FINA should eliminate starting off blocks, well it is dangerous.....how about all those other sports, bobsled, OMG that is too fast.....Makes me want to throw up.

Very reasonable comparisons

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just WTC making a PR bullshit move. There is zero evidence that the different types of swim starts do anything to improve swimmer safety. People have died in both mass start and TT start formats. If you're worried about the swim start at the back.