Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Change setup for rain at WF?
Quote | Reply
With all this talk about a big storm blowing in for this Saturday is anyone considering changing the setup on their bike? Going downhill fast in the wet pretty much freaks me out, and I'm wondering if a sturdy set of training wheels with maybe a little more surface area on the tires might not be a bad thing?

I was planning on putting on my Jet 90 on the back and Jet 60 on the front. I can't remember the exact tires but their Vittorias and the technical description is that they are very skinny and slick.
Quote Reply
Wider not better for rain [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a car tire, wide means more hydroplan danger, but even wide bicycle tires are so narrow that width make no difference in wet conditions - they can't hydroplane the way car tires can (Specialized prved this years ago with a series of tests). Usually the problem is simply road dirt causing slick roads that only a knobby could help you with (and it's not the width of the tire, its the knobs giving greater point friction). If it rains hard, that is good because it washes the dirt off the road and the tires will actually grip better! So, use the usual tires and go like hell.

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply