Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Change in fit formula
Quote | Reply
so that you don't think i'm trying to slide one by in the middle of the night, i've slightly changed the formula for armrest drop on our fit page. this is the first change in that formula in about 7 years, and reflects a change in how i think the pro athletes are riding their bikes. the change is in the product ".22D" which used to be ".2D". the entire formula is:

C = .005D(2) - .22D - 1.5cm +/-1.5cm

where C = armrest drop and D = distance from bb center to saddle top along a straight line.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Change in fit formula [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan..just curious as to what change in the pro's behaviour did you oberve?
Quote Reply
Re: Change in fit formula [Geoff Dickson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think the armrest drop formula was slightly more aggressive than what it is i'm observing in real life, and some of those who were more aggressive (scott tinley for example) are no longer racing, which rejiggers where i think the current state of affairs now is.

it's not a big change, fairly slight. but whereas, for example, my drop would've ranged from 13cm to 16cm, now it would be 11.5 to 14.5. i myself am on the steep end of this, perhaps even slightly out of the range, but i think it's a fairer representation of where most of the pros ride.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan:

You should also specify that people have to measure the saddle height in cm, not inches, as due to the d-square in a formula, the wrong units would mess it up. I know the text says the spread is 1.5cm, so people may deduce all measurements are in cm, but they may not. And the drawing doesn't show any units in the formula.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman,

Bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 75cm and the drop to the top of my aerobar pad is 9cm, how does that convert? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Change in fit formula [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bottom bracket to the top of my saddle is 75cm and the drop to the top of my aerobar pad is 9cm, how does that convert?"

formula says the range is 8.5cm to 11.5cm. so you're in the range, albeit in the shallow end. if your saddle is set back a bit then you'll be a little higher in front. i'm in the aggressive end of my armrest drop, but i'm also very far forward, around 80 degrees.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan, I'm at 77 degrees and it feels very comfortable. Just wanted to also say thanks for this site, I can always find an interesting discussion and good information.
Quote Reply