Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call
Quote | Reply
It seems Challenge is having a tough time transitioning to North America. From what I know, they do a great job putting on races in Europe and have invested pretty heavily in the Atlantic City race. Large pro purse, some big appearance fees for Macca, T.O. and Rinny, good race directors, and they promise big race features and swag. So why aren't they booming with business and selling out as fast as Lake Placid, Chattanooga, and Florida?

My thought is that Americans are as IM branded as their m-dotted calves. IRONMAN is not commonly known as the brand, rather it is incorrectly recognized as the distance. Does it really matter if you do the distance in a Challenge race or an IM race? It's the same thing, with different event management and title. But the event management and title owns the identity of this distance of triathlon. I like Ironman; I think they do a good job putting on events. I'd like to see Americans give Challenge a chance though, because I think they will likely do a good job as well, and competition among event management will ensure quality and value.

So how can Challenge be given a chance when people want to be an Ironman? It's annoying to answer the questions of 'Are you doing any Ironman races this year?' with 'Well, sort of. I'm doing the Challenge full distance triathlon in Atlantic City.' I like the ring of Ironman, but I think we may need to start referring the 140.6 distance as 'full' to allow other brands into the Americas. The other thing that is helping dilute the Ironman association to full distance is that IM branded halves are Ironman 70.3, and the participants are starting to be called Ironmen... since first time half racers are likely to be offended by being called half ironmen :p

Those are some thoughts. I hope we can bypass the Ironman identity enough to give Challenge a chance.

I also thought I'd start a roll call to hopefully build some hype for the race... Include or exclude whatever you like...

-Relay or individual?
-First full?
-Where are you from?
-Time goal or just finish?
-Anything else?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [Shankster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'll respond to myself :P

I'll be racing!

-Relay or individual?

Individual
-First full?
Nope, I've done 4 other 'fulls' in the past two years (and all were Ironman branded... so they reaallly count, lol)
-Where are you from?
Greater DC area
Time/rankings. Crossing my fingers for top three amateur. We'll see though.
-Anything else?
My dad will be racing too... so that's pretty sweet.

Well, if you're thinking about signing up, I hope you do so. Train smart and I'll see you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge just only started its presence in North America. You can't (and shouldn't) expect instant success and recognition from athletes. It takes time to build a brand. They did this well in Europe, Asia and now Australia, time will tell if they can crack the stubborn 'mericans :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Relay or individual?
Individual
-First full?
-Where are you from?
Born and raised in Cali, currently stationed in Texas
Just Finish
-Anything else?
I like your goal, mind putting a first and last name to it?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post and I am in. Looking forward to a good turn out from the east coast and mid west. It should be a great race...

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will take some time for Challenge to build name recognition in the US. I am an endurance athlete, come from a bike racing background and never heard of the Challenge events until this popped up on my friends radar screen. If they do a bang-up job with AC and stick it out for a few years, it will grow but it is going to take time.

I will be there - Doing the bike leg for masters women relay team.
First time doing any distance longer than a sprint
Goal time for bike - under 6 hours
I live in Titusville, NJ about 60 miles northwest of AC
Last edited by: themadcyclist: Mar 28, 14 3:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was excited about Challenge coming until they picked Atlantic City, been there and have no desire to go back. I was hoping for Mrytle Beach.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing the AC relay with some friends. I've down 1 IM before, doing 2 later in the year. IMO Challenge has a lot of work ahead of them. I want to do IM branded events to qualify for the legacy program, but I'd be happy to see Challenge do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for this race during it's first hours. I ONLY signed up because 1) it's not an Ironman branded race and 2) it's conveniently close for me and for those coming to support me. In that order. As my family continues to talk about my upcoming "ironman" I don't bother to waste time correcting semantics. All that really matters to them is that they're coming to cheer me on after all of my preparation for "some long-ass race."

As a bonus, I'm excited about the fact that Challenge wants to "make a splash" with this inaugural race. I'm confident that not only will this lend itself to me having a great experience with the race, but that my supporters should have a fun, full experience as well.
----

individual
1st full (after 10+ years of olys and halfs)
outside Philly
10:59:59
Last edited by: gienopes: Mar 28, 14 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
I was excited about Challenge coming until they picked Atlantic City, been there and have no desire to go back. I was hoping for Mrytle Beach.

I've never been to AC, but man, it must be bad if you like MB over AC..............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're pushing water uphill with me. AC is a 3 hour plane ride for me so that is a negative. I like IM. I haven't ever met anyone who has done a Challenge event so they are an unknown commodity. Since I like IMs ... why search for something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Challenge Penticton, doing CAC as relay (I am the marathoner) and I have done 7 IM branded races and besides Challenge Penticton, Great Floridian (did not like at all and will never do again!) - love what Challenge is all about - bringing 2 other relay teams and 2 individual racers all from the DC area! Love being a part of the Challenge Family!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to quit LC, but this came along and I thought it was a great opportunity. Early season, but not too early. Warm, but not too hot. Flat swim, bike, and run. Run on a boardwalk and next to the ocean. About 2 hours from home. I get the rest of my summer to enjoy with the kids.

It all works for me!

No Kona, so no pressure. Like to run the ENTIRE marathon and finally nail it with a 3:30. 1 hour swim, 5:20 bike, 3:30 run. Finish around 10 hour mark. Anything less is a bonus, anything more and I'm not TOO disappointed.

After 4 disappointing attempts at IM (IMLP 2009 just wasn't a fun event, 2010 IMLP got sick right before race week, 2011 IMLP was with a broken collar bone and the ONLY non-wetsuit swim there ever, 2012 IMNYC had me at top 10 in AG before I just stopped running at mile 17 and mentally farted for a 10:06), I'm looking to have a non-pressured good time. I want to bike and run with a smile (probably not wise to smile while swimming).

Hoping for a beer tent near the finish. And maybe some beach babes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up early as well since I grew up on the Jersey Shore and was excited about Challenge bringing more competition to the table for IM. I really feel that they will do a great job and wow the participants. As others have echoed, they are new to the US and despite all the success overseas people want to see and hear others before trying something new. IM does a great job at their races but so do many others. M-dot has a stranglehold but I think that the competition will be good for the sport. Word of mouth is the best marketing and I think Challenge will get a big boost after the races in NJ and CA this year.

To answer your q's:
individual
4th
live in NC, grew up in NJ
sub 10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the total count is for individual race at AC?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind, looks like 700+ right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha... just finish?!? It looks like my new goal is to keep up with you! My name is Matthew Shanks... current PR was from Kona this past year, where I had a near perfectly executed race and was 24 minutes behind you. My training should bring me closer, but good thing I'm looking for top 3 and not 1st. Heck... what's that humble/self doubting mindset? The Real Starky would reproach. Better watch out Brad... I'm going for first!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I/we (PBN) will be there just about all week as I will be speaking at the CAC Sports Medicine Symposium & also at the expo. I may be doing a relay, but the original one I was supposed to run for, fell through...but if anyone is in need of a swimmer, I can be in 55ish shape by then, so lemme know. Swimming 2.4 hard vs running 26.2 hard, is a lot more palatable!

PBN is also carrying all on-course nutrition (Gatorade Endurance Drink & Chews) as well as the gels, which should also be made public within the next week & I think most are going to be pleased by that selection as well.

Any questions on the nutrition-front, please feel free to drop a post here or contact me via e-mail: Brian@PersonalBestNutrition.com

PS - Point Pleasant Beach reunion in AC DMags311!! Looking fwd to seeing everyone....except prattzc of course ;-))))

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, you should be happy to see me. With my new found weight gain, I'll need to eat a whole lot of products...

And please do the swim, I don't need to be passed by a skinny dude in gold short shorts.

Since you are up on the nutrition thing, what about post-race carb loading...a beer tent? I mean, come on, jersey shore, situation like abs, and fist pumping. This calls for PBR on tap!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the race would have sold out had they announced it sooner (ideally a year out like most Ironman races). By the time they announced the race most folks had already signed up for their Ironman-branded June/July races (at least that is what I have heard from friends). Provided this race and all other Challenge-branded races have a good first year, I see no reason why they will not have much improved second years and then flourish after that.

-Relay or individual? - Individual
-First full? - Second (IMAZ 2010)
-Where are you from? - Doylestown, PA
-Time goal or just finish? - 11:00:00....but ultimately to finish
-Anything else? - Really looking forward to being part of this inaugural event, I think the race directors are going to go above and beyond to make a statement with this race.

Jamie
Last edited by: jwadtri: Mar 28, 14 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [jwadtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwadtri wrote:
I think the race would have sold out had they announced it sooner (ideally a year out like most Ironman races). By the time they announced the race most folks had already signed up for their Ironman-branded June/July races (at least that is what I have heard from friends). Provided this race and all other Challenge-branded races have a good first year, I see no reason why they will not have much improved second years and then flourish after that.

I think this is key. They announced late. 2015 will be huge.

I'm doing the relay. Using it as a lead up to IMMT, my first 140.6. Coming from Central PA. Just make the cutoff for my runner is my goal.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kept thinking, it would be Asheville, NC after all the hub bub about WTC wanting to get into the area but then went with Chattanooga.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be cheering on friends at the marathon turn around. The run course is gonna be great! It runs south through down beach with the turn around in longport. Great beach towns, Super flat and fast.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBR? God I hope not. Lots of really good NJ breweries have opened over the last few years with Kane and Carton being the best. If you can get any of their IPAs I highly recommend them. Oh, sadly they are only on tap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really looking forward to this race

Individual
Central NY
10:30??

I've got some friends doing the relay, including a 2:18 marathoner. Interested to see what they can do.

Internet User
Quote Reply

Prev Next