Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Watkins Glen???
Quote | Reply
Anyone hear the race director mention Watkins Glen into Jans ear as he came across the finish line? Not sure how they run the amateur races but the Pro races have been awesome to watch. Hoping one of these comes to my neck of the woods. Would love to make a trip of it.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
Anyone hear the race director mention Watkins Glen into Jans ear as he came across the finish line? Not sure how they run the amateur races but the Pro races have been awesome to watch. Hoping one of these comes to my neck of the woods. Would love to make a trip of it.

There is already a great duathlon on the track. Fly by night.

Hopefully cuomo doesn’t cancel it again this year.

Scheduled for may 1st.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the glen and sonoma are next expansion/ race venues for the current challenge NA strategy, per the breakfast with bob interview challenge NA ceo did earlier in the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come in July and Join us for the most fun you can have in Summit County-

https://www.andypottsracing.com/vailbeaver-creek-2020

Or, shoot me a DM and I can help you out with rides, runs and pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The elevation change would make for a much different race. So much elevation per lap.

If you’re and amateur and race outside the track, the climb up 414 and Montour Road is brutal for a triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup I think that’s confirmed as the next location. For a challenge family event Bill Christy has spoken about it a couple of times on podcasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The climb from the lake to the track is about 600-700 feet but the bigger issue is the 8'ish mile ride before you even get onto the track. Pretty much eliminates the "coolness" for a sprint.

As for the track itself. The climb after turn 2 is long'ish but you come into it after a nice long downhill and then the climb in the boot is short but a nice little spike.

The current F-1 duathlon on the track you do 3 laps twice (3.33 miles per loop). The 2'nd 3 loop times are not much slower for most people.

Assuming about 15 laps on the track for a 70.3. I could see issues in the boot as the faster people lap the slower ones towards the end of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where would the swim be at Watkins Glen? Will it be a duathlon like Fly by Night? I have family in Elmira so it could be a fun option.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to assume the park at the end of Seneca Lake in the village. From there you ride roughly 8 miles uphill to the track.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My car had a hard time driving up that hill :(

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! I heard them say this and I've been trying to find it online since! I am up in that area all summer long and would love to race and watch! If anyone finds anything please post!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Justine_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Sonoma would be appealing to me. This racing format almost has a festival type of appeal and feeling. I’m hoping this will continue to expand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:

Is this a real possibility at WG? I have stayed at the nice hotel right at the end of Lake Seneca for an event at the Farm Sanctuary (big animal sanctuary - the founder is a boston marathon runner and Lake Placid Ironman finisher and super nice guy). Been in the area twice and love it! Especially with all the cute wineries all over the place. The Finger Lakes region is a great location for a race. We are signed up for Musselman which is on the other end of Lake Seneca. (really hoping it goes off this July).

I would love to do a race in WG and hoping this happens someday.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Sonoma....yaaasss! I'm looking at the map right now, trying to figure where the swim would be. It's close to water, but access and suitable water is the question...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny_G wrote:
Challenge Sonoma....yaaasss! I'm looking at the map right now, trying to figure where the swim would be. It's close to water, but access and suitable water is the question...

Any water near there is...well it's disgusting.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting announcement: The flagship CLASH Daytona race will be held in December, and everyone currently registered for Challenge Daytona will be transferred over. It will be followed next March by the second running of Miami, and then come the new events:
  • Daytona, Dec. 3-5, 2021
  • Miami, March 11-13, 2022
  • Watkins Glen, July 8-10, 2022
  • Atlanta, Nov. 12-13, 2022

It appears Watkins Glen will be a 2 transition event, with the swim in Seneca Lake.

https://clash-usa.squarespace.com/clash-watkins-glen
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jun 2, 21 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Book your hotel ASAP. Summer in the finger lakes is very popular and there are not many hotels in the Glen.

Bummer they are only doing a long-ish course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approximately same weekend as musselman at the other end of the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
Approximately same weekend as musselman at the other end of the lake.

Any-one want to bet the IM race moves to perfectly conflict next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's on that weekend already this year. In this case they won't be the ones creating the conflict

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
It's on that weekend already this year. In this case they won't be the ones creating the conflict

OOPS - I misread the date. Stupid move on Challenge part.

The wine festival at the track seems like a nice "bonus" but the same weekend as IM in a low-hotel area doesn't seem like enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF is CLASH?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
London Calling, Rock the Kasbah...

Oh sorry, that is THE CLASH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the new branding this morning...seems like a fail.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Watkins Glen??? [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
London Calling, Rock the Kasbah...

Oh sorry, that is THE CLASH.

I love The Clash.

I see the CLASH races still on the Challenge site. I get that Challenge might not want to lose the races, but letting it run under a different brand is, well... bad for your brand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next