Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Wanaka Full - No More
Quote | Reply
I registered for the 2019 full distance edition of Challenge Wanaka, and received word the event has been cancelled due to low registration numbers.

I can absolutely understand the race organizers wanting to focus their resources and attention on the half-distance event (athlete registration for the half absolutely dwarfs the numbers for the full), but I have a hard time accepting the organizers would simply pull the plug 10 months before the race. In my opinion, either make the decision before opening registration, or announce in advance this will be the last year to race full distance.

Now I sit around waiting to receive my refund and look for a rebound race. Amazingly I have the post race blues for an event I've never even attempted!
Last edited by: Elroy303: Apr 11, 18 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Wanaka Full - No More [Elroy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, 10 moths is plenty of time, better then in the last minute, few weeks or a months or so. Especially if you get a full refund. It sucks only if you have already booked your time off work and can't change it. Hope you have a travel insurance for canceled trip, that is, if you have booked the trip etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you prefer they waited a few more months until people were locked in and then canned it? Seems like they have given it a chance to see if they reach a good level of entries in the first 2 months but that hasn't happened so they have made this call..

Why dont you go and do the half anyway? With the road, weather and course it is harder than a lot of full distance courses and you would struggle to find a better destination... Use the money saved on entry fees to have a good look around the area after the race as it is stunning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly not angry over the decision, just bummed to have missed out on a bucket list destination event after signing up. To be honest, a 24 hour flight is a bit much for a 70.3, so I will be looking for a different race to fill the void.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do Challenge Wanaka as a warm up half distance before Ironman NZ on Mar 2 :-). Two great events and a great holiday too.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Wanaka Full - No More [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually an awesome idea, but work/home requirements wouldn't allow me to stay abroad for two weeks. Bummer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elroy303 wrote:
I'm certainly not angry over the decision, just bummed to have missed out on a bucket list destination event after signing up. To be honest, a 24 hour flight is a bit much for a 70.3, so I will be looking for a different race to fill the void.

I did a 13 hour drive (each way) for a sprint duathlon that took me about an hour... It not about quantity of racing time, its about quality.....

I've watched people travel a long way to do a 100 meter run every 4 years. Some even travel to do a 50 meter swim that takes about 20 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Wanaka Full - No More [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difference of opinion.

It isn't just the distance traveled, it's also the commitment to a full distance event (including planning 2018 / 2019 around it).

I can totally understand traveling for events, as I've done it quite a bit. But for me personally, traveling to Wanaka for half the race I had my heart set on is a little underwhelming. To each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks. I thought I was hard done by when they switched from the old course around Lake Dunstan to the new Hawea Flat course.

I feel even more bummed I never did the full when I had the chance (I only did the half years ago). Ahhh... good times.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A terrible shame. This race always had a rep as being a hard course which put off a lot of first timers. You had to be bike fit, but I actually thought the off-road run protected your legs somewhat, and the bit of singletrack down the river provided mental distraction that made it much easier to manage. Whenever I did this my sole aim on the run was to make it to the outlet track (8k) and from there the singletrack and then the downhill back to town would get you home.

On the plus side my 15 seconds of fame as the winner this year (completely amateur field) will now live on indefinitely
Quote Reply