Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth detials?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to bag a bucket list race with Challenge Roth in a couple of weeks. From what I've been able to gather they don't do special needs bags on the bike or run course and they don't have ice on the run course. Any other particular quirks to be aware of coming from the typical M-Dot long-course race? They also use "Squeezy Energy Drink" on the course. Does anyone know if this is common in the local stores they way you find gatorade and Powerade int he US? I'd like to grab some for the week prior to the race once I get over there.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 19, 18 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I you won't find Squeezy in supermarkets. You should at the expo, but it is a bit late by then!
They had ice packs last year, but they weren't really any good. To be honest, it was warm last year and I suffer in the heat, but they had enough water and sponges that it wasn't an issue for me.

On the run they have lots of coke and red bull, even some alcohol free beer.
Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a number of threads now going on Roth. You'll love it! I'll be there for the 8th time - first was '89. This won't be my last. The race is run like a German machine. It is all pretty intuitive. In 2014 (I believe) it got over 100 degrees . . . they never ran out of sponges and I thought they did a fabulous job managing the conditions. The water in the canal looks to be as warm as ever for the race . . . right now the pros would not be wetsuit legal for the 1st time ever. On the bike there are 80 motos for the 2 lap course . . . almost 1 per K. Best wishes, safe travels, and have fun.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not, DO NOT, give up beer prior to the race.

My biggest Roth mistake was to go alcohol free in the 6 months pre race. Should've tapered off that too. Once in Roth you must be free to go to a beer garden and do it right.

Thank me later. Roth is the best. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were selling a Squeezy trial pack on their website until recently. Shipping costs were horrendous!

TBH Squeezy seems hard to get outside of Germany, so it's a shame they didn't partner with a more established worldwide brand.

I plan to just take my own drinks and gels and bars and be as self sufficient as possible.

Famous last words of course, but I doubt the energy drink will be significantly different from every other drink on the market. Just a case of finding the flavour you like
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy squeezey gels easily which is probably just drink syrup. The flavours are all good not too sweet or acidic

You'll love the special atmosphere, great event!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do silly things like that. I don't depend on this for my paycheck, but even if I did I probably wouldn't completely give up anything that I enjoy.

McNulty wrote:
Do not, DO NOT, give up beer prior to the race.

My biggest Roth mistake was to go alcohol free in the 6 months pre race. Should've tapered off that too. Once in Roth you must be free to go to a beer garden and do it right.

Thank me later. Roth is the best. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
. . . right now the pros would not be wetsuit legal for the 1st time ever.

Every year the same story ;-) But they will manage that. They simply open the canal to let some water float through and temperature will be dialed-in perfectly for a wetsuit legal, even for Pro's (while IM Frankfurt a week later will most likely be a non-wetsuit race, maybe even for AG's).

Other than that:
  • Order from Squeezy and let it ship to the address where you will stay. They typically ship in Germany within two days.
  • Or buy Squeezy at the Expo.
  • You will not find it at a supermarket, but probably at local sports shops like Radsport Buchstaller (in Hilpoltstein, close to the swim start; THE bike shop in the Roth area).
  • In general, Squeezy is my preferred sports drink and gels here in Germany. No difference to e.g. PowerBar.
  • Cool water, sponges and even ice packs are not an issue at all on race day. You will get plenty.

Last but not least:
[url https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?username=TH3_FRB wrote:
TH3_FRB[/url]] I'm getting ready to bag a bucket list race with Challenge Roth in a couple of weeks.

I hope that you have your calendar set correctly. It is just 10 days away! ;-)
Last edited by: motorcity: Jun 20, 18 0:15
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth detials? [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't important enough to me to pay those shipping fees. I'm not too worried about it. I'll have a decent amount of calories along with me on the bike but i'm not going to tape a dozen gels to my top tube and pack a lunch. Water along isn't sufficient so I'll be grabbing some Squeezy along the way.

Race1 wrote:
They were selling a Squeezy trial pack on their website until recently. Shipping costs were horrendous!

TBH Squeezy seems hard to get outside of Germany, so it's a shame they didn't partner with a more established worldwide brand.

I plan to just take my own drinks and gels and bars and be as self sufficient as possible.

Famous last words of course, but I doubt the energy drink will be significantly different from every other drink on the market. Just a case of finding the flavour you like
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeezy tastes like ass. But there's not thing special about it. My friend ordered it ahead of time and I tried it. Needn't have bothered. You aren't misssing anything

Fortunately (ha!) I had such a horrible race, right from the start last year that I didn't much care what I ate or drank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squeezy worked just fine. I didn't pay the shipping either so didn't try before race day. Used the drink, gels, and bars on the course with no issues whatsoever. They *seemed* to me, on the fly, to be very fine products.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply