Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth
Quote | Reply
Im looking at trying to get into Challenge Roth and make it a family getaway as well, but I am not looking at 2019, I am thinking 2020, so I am just in the preliminary steps, but this is def. something that needs to be budgeted well.

I was wondering a few things, of course thoughts on the race from people who have done it and what route they went for accomodations/travel/food/etc. I am seriously considering something along the lines of a RaceQuest booking where most things are lined up for you already. I know I would still need to pay a seperate race entry and flights to/from are not included as well, so this does get pricey quickly for the convenience. I was just wondering if the convenience was worth it or what other avenues there are that are similar?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 2018 slot in the December offering - was online exactly at the right time. I also paid for the cancellation protection which allowed deferment to 2019, which I did. I was then ahead of the game when it came to booking a place to stay and found a decent apartment just 25 mins from Roth.

I'll be flying in from HK to Munich, will hire a car for the week and go from there.

All the best!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the benefit of going through these RaceQuest guys?
Surely it's just a matter of entering the race and booking yourself a holiday that puts you at the race venue for the relevant days? Oh, and shipping your bike.

I've never quite understood what made the package deals worthwhile unless it was to get a late entry when direct entry was sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Surely it's just a matter of entering the race and booking yourself a holiday that puts you at the race venue for the relevant days? Oh, and shipping your bike.

I've never quite understood what made the package deals worthwhile unless it was to get a late entry when direct entry was sold out.
Looks like all transportation, or most would be covered unless we decide to do a sight seeing thing. Morning run sessions, all event course orientation/tips, then there are some other benefits that cost (massages, training program for that course, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sent you a PM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a real treat - I have done the race 8 times (first in 1989). Same homestay all 8 times + 3 other visits. I've always just traveled and made my own accommodations, etc. You'll love it!

Here are some teaser photos . . . 2014 might be the best, but 2016 includes Frodo, and of course 2018. I plan to go back again in 2020 to race in 60+!

2018 Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/XTrUnVZ8cYnnW1hL8

2016: https://goo.gl/...os/z3Cu6tKnFKbk8uPs9

2014 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Siu59VoFXfcD2JCHA

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Securing an Online entry seems to be the biggest challenge, so to speak. Sells out in a heartbeat; a lot of that is because a huge amount of people enter on-site before entry opens Online. I should imagine that means companies that offer travel packages probably do a decent busines in the case of Roth.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved Roth, absolutely the best race I have done.
Maybe 2020 I'll go there again (Have Nice (France) on my bucket list for next year)

I travelled (from Sweden) to Munchen och then train to Nurmberg where we lived.

I thought it was alot of work, alot of traveling back and furth and walking when we dident have a car. My girlfriend was pregnant also.

Try to find like a family to live with near Roth. Hade some other people that did that and they even helped us alot.
Borrowed bikes for my girlfried ao she wouldent have to walt around so much, drove me around the course, etc.

I got the feeling that everybody loved the race there, atleast around Roth.

Dont miss the Finnish line Party! It was worth it coming back to the hotell around midnight :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Roth for the first time this year. Great race, awesome experience. I registered on the designated day at 4AM, a year in advance, you must be quick!
I flew with my family into Nuremberg, rented a car, and stayed there at a VRBO place. You don't need to do a touring company, everything is easy to get to and most everyone speaks English.
Do be sure to read all the prerace information as I had a hectic day before the race with the bike racking, etc. The Germans expect you to be punctual!

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sullytriman wrote:
I did Roth for the first time this year. Great race, awesome experience. I registered on the designated day at 4AM, a year in advance, you must be quick!
I flew with my family into Nuremberg, rented a car, and stayed there at a VRBO place. You don't need to do a touring company, everything is easy to get to and most everyone speaks English.
Do be sure to read all the prerace information as I had a hectic day before the race with the bike racking, etc. The Germans expect you to be punctual!
So maybe the tour group as a back up if I cant get in online?

Punctual isn't an issue for me, I am always on time or early.

Big thin I am worried about is my wife amd daughter getting around when I am not around. (Daughter is 15 mo tomorrow)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Logistics are a bit challenging and having someone take care of everything makes race week soooo much more enjoyable. Sure, you can do it yourself but if you don't mind making the investment then I think it could be worth it, especially for something like Roth. I did the race this year and we were part of the IM Talk "camp". 100% of local transport and logistics were taken care of by people who have done it before and knew how to manage the details. For me it was well worth it. For starters, there is vurtually no lodging actually in Roth so you'll most likely need to stay outside town. There is also a split transition and traffic race morning is a biatch. You have enough to think about for a big race let alone worry about additional logistics. This was the only important race I've ever done where I wasn't staying inside walking distance from everything and having that full support made it completely low stress and enjoyable.

Ai_1 wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I did Roth last year and used TRITRAVEL which works as a team with Quest travel.
It is expensive but for me is worth every penny!
Why is it worth the money =
- first you have a guaranted bib number (this yeari tried to apply on line with in 45 seconds I was too slow to register).
- finding yourself an accomodation close to the start is almost impossible since Roth is a small places and all hotels and rooms are booked from one year to the other by the participants and worth of mouth.
We stayed in Nuremberg which is probably 40 mn away and Tritravel provided the following :
Transportation to the expo for me and my spouse and other participants, then on a second day they drove us for swim in the same canal than the race, then they drove the all bike course for us to get to know the course.
The day before the race they shipped all the bikes and bags to the race and we racked them.
The morning of the race the hotel prepared breakfast at 4 am, them they took us amd family to swim start (different locatiom than t2 and finish) , then family can see solarberg watching point for the bike and the tour took them to ROTH to see the run and finish!
Then and it is a sweet thing when you are tired, at the end of the race they took the racer and family back to the hotel and their crew is taking care of your bags and bike and bring them to the hotel during the night.
So again, quite expensive but service is great and since they provided transport from amd to airport you save on rental car which you don’t need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's quite the feat to make the online cut-off....so paying $$ for a guaranteed spot is one advantage of a race booking company.

I did it this year (miracle I got in online) ...there are a lot of places around Nuremberg that are very reasonable - we found a great 3br flat in the Old Town section for $125/night...rented a car and getting to and from is pretty easy...takes about 25/30 min. Plus lots of great sightseeing and places to eat.

If you are bringing family....secure a bike rental...that's my best advice. My husband would have been miserable trying to get around in the car race day. We ended up using the train service to and from race day...worked great...especially if you are punctual ...my husband was able to catch me at the swim and solar berg then during the run we met up at the canal, Roth main square and at the stadium. Then we grabbed my bike and took the train back into Nuremberg....much better than dealing with the post -race celebration traffic.

I definitely want to go back some day...best race experience hands down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you (or someone you know as I think you can buy places for others if you have some form of ID for them) Get to Roth in the early hours of the Monday after the event? If you are Europe based, cheap flight to Nurnberg, taxi to the event village and sit in line, then when you get a place, taxi back to the airport and fly home. 1 Day out, no accommodation costs.If you get there afternoon Evening the day before you can sit in the finish stadium to get your juices flowing

They sell ~1000 places that way so if you can skip the online lottery it will be a weight off your mind PLUS give you a head start on finding accommodation.

If I wanted to do this race again, that would be my plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Can you (or someone you know as I think you can buy places for others if you have some form of ID for them) Get to Roth in the early hours of the Monday after the event? If you are Europe based, cheap flight to Nurnberg, taxi to the event village and sit in line, then when you get a place, taxi back to the airport and fly home. 1 Day out, no accommodation costs.If you get there afternoon Evening the day before you can sit in the finish stadium to get your juices flowing

They sell ~1000 places that way so if you can skip the online lottery it will be a weight off your mind PLUS give you a head start on finding accommodation.

My wife raced it this year and we went back the next morning and got in line. And now we are both registered for next year. If you can register on site that's definitely the "easiest" way but you obviously have to be there on the right day to do it.

Your next best bet is getting in through the travel package companies.

Getting in online is just so hard.

Best to stay in Nuremberg and rent a car. There is plenty to see and do in Nuremberg, and you are only a quick 25 minute drive to the site on race morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:

I'm in the states, so the cost to do this, I might as well just go with the Race Quest option or similar, thanks for the thought. Thats actually how I got IMLP back when it sill sold out within hours online. Ex-wife and I volunteered and then got in line the next day.
Quote Reply