Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Roth, WTC take note
Quote | Reply
Cut off times:

Swimming: 2:10 hours
Swimming and cycling: 9:30 hours
Swimming, cycling and running: 15:00 hours

Each athlete who indicates that he or she intends to finish in less than 9 hours in his/her application and really succeeds, will be reimbursed the start fee, except for a € 99 service charge, and will get a special finisher shirt at the finish-line."

Give incentive to go faster!

In other news my wife is doing this race, she signed up 8 weeks out. 2:50 is her best olympic, she did a sprint in 1:12 before (half oly) but ever since a bike wreck in first oly tri she is scared to go above 20mph. Barely swimming, she does about 2:30 pace. Im worried about her reaching cut offs. I have her doing minimum work of 1k swim everyday with technique work, 20 miles of bike with long rides on weekend. 7-20 miles of run per day. She just ran a 3:16 marathon on hilly course so that is where most of her fitness will be coming from. I think the slowness on the bike could be her fit too... one of the first QR tri bikes, prior bike she had was a bike I built for her where she could do 20mph with forward seat post and clip on bars. Unfortunately it was stolen.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Cut off times:

Swimming: 2:10 hours
Swimming and cycling: 9:30 hours
Swimming, cycling and running: 15:00 hours

Each athlete who indicates that he or she intends to finish in less than 9 hours in his/her application and really succeeds, will be reimbursed the start fee, except for a € 99 service charge, and will get a special finisher shirt at the finish-line."

Here we go again....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it easy to cut the finish time down on a course that fast.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Give incentive to go faster!

Sooo your saying that if someone has the ability to go Sub 9, they would not at a WTC event because they don't get a special tshirt? Really? That makes no sense to me. Plus how many people can go sub 9 anyway? I guess I generally think people go as fast as they can regardless...

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually from an AG perspective, I bet Roth has more some 9 finishes then any other 140.6 event. Did I mention the course is stupid fast (and I suspect short)?

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that it is a fast course...but really why would anyone need any more incentive for going fast than just going fast? In other words if you are fast enough to go sub 9, why wouldn't you??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
I get that it is a fast course...but really why would anyone need any more incentive for going fast than just going fast? In other words if you are fast enough to go sub 9, why wouldn't you??

I know they have given out the shirts for years, this race entry refund might be a newer addition to try and get more entries.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
coopdog wrote:

I know they have given out the shirts for years, this race entry refund might be a newer addition to try and get more entries.

Now that make sense....the OP seemed to think it was an incentive to go fast....cause unless I get a t-shit, my ass is dogging it...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought it would be pretty cool to have different finisher medals for different levels of accomplishment, like Comardes Marathon. It could be gold for sub 9, silver for sub 13 and bronze for sub 17.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
I always thought it would be pretty cool to have different finisher medals for different levels of accomplishment, like Comardes Marathon. It could be gold for sub 9, silver for sub 13 and bronze for sub 17.

yes our reward system in triathlon and running system needs to change.

If people say roth is so easy and fast ... why arent there just as many if not more records broken in florida and arizona?? I would say that the european pool has more talent, and its just the psychological effect that if you are in a mix with faster people you will perform better - giving a high amount of good race results at roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the refund exists at least since 2006
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

If people say roth is so easy and fast ... why arent there just as many if not more records broken in florida and arizona?? I would say that the european pool has more talent, and its just the psychological effect that if you are in a mix with faster people you will perform better - giving a high amount of good race results at roth.

Yeah, that HAS to be the reason. Wow, thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, last year 39 people and or teams finished sub 9. So I would say not many AG did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing thou, WTC does not need to take note of anything until their races stop selling out (yes I know some 140.6 races sell out slower or not at all)

Until their current business model doesn't give them the ROI they want they have zero incentive to change a thing.

That's just the way it is

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The time limits are well known when you sign up (or you should have read them).
No excuses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:

Seems like its less an incentive and more of a reward. There's a difference...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
No excuses.

I knew about the time limits, just figured I show why the challenge series is better (competitive vs completitive). I did not know about the sub 9 refund policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

yes our reward system in triathlon and running system needs to change.

39 people went sub-9 at Roth last year. 37 went sub-9 at IM Florida. So much for a deeper talent pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm....go sub-9 at a Challenge race and get my entry fee back and a special t-shirt. Go sub-9 at a WTC race and go to Kona.

Decisions, decisions......

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Did I mention the course is stupid fast (and I suspect short)? "
---------
Out of curiosity, have you done it? No doubt it *can* be a fast course. However, there have been many friends over the years who have been surprised when reality strikes - remember when reality struck Mark Allen on that course? I doubt he thought it was either fast or short after the fact!

I've done the race 5 times (6th upcoming) and have had friends have their feeling hurt really bad when they didn't go fast or when the course bit them. For example, my Roth times are statistically on par with my (old) Ironman Canada times when done at similar ages

Of course there have also been contentions that there has been draft effects from the lead motorbikes, which has happened on many courses. That many only applies to the very front.

Personally, what I think what makes this course have the real potential to be fast is 1) lots of competition, 2) unbelievable spectator and community support, 3) and rather decent weather that usually doesn't suffer for some of the real extremes.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
No excuses.

I knew about the time limits, just figured I show why the challenge series is better (competitive vs completitive). I did not know about the sub 9 refund policy.

Challenge AC 17 hour cut off
Challenge Penticton 17 hour cut off
Challenge Taiwan 17 hour cut off
Challenge Wanaka 17 hour cut off

Ironman France, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark are all 16 hour cut offs

And so on...

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodney, please stop polluting this thread with actual facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Rodney, please stop polluting this thread with actual facts.

So I shouldn't mention that it wasn't Challenge that made Roth a 15 hour cut off but that is the way it was when it was a WTC race? Or that Ironman Frankfurt "just down the road" from Roth is also 15 hours?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, WTC take note [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have used pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Actually from an AG perspective, I bet Roth has more some 9 finishes then any other 140.6 event. Did I mention the course is stupid fast (and I suspect short)?

Yeah, and it's the same for everyone. If you want to be in that lottery, go for it. Otherwise...

Move along. Especially with the suspect conjecture. Not productive.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply

Prev Next