Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport?
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to go to Peguera by bus from the airport? Google says it's about 4€ with busses A1 and 102.

By taxi I'm seeing ~80€.

Do buses A1 and 102 allow bike boxes? My hotel is at the venue, so I don't want/need to rent a car.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally in Spain a bus number with an "A" in front, means it is (not always though) an Airport Bus/Shuttle. Fairly sure you can bring a bike bag with you.

However - this page suggest a Taxi is closer to 30 EUR:
¿Cuánto cuesta un taxi de Palma a Peguera?
La forma más rápida de ir desde Palma de Mallorca a Peguera es en taxi que cuesta €27 - €33 y dura 18 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Normally in Spain a bus number with an "A" in front, means it is (not always though) an Airport Bus/Shuttle. Fairly sure you can bring a bike bag with you.

However - this page suggest a Taxi is closer to 30 EUR:
¿Cuánto cuesta un taxi de Palma a Peguera?
La forma más rápida de ir desde Palma de Mallorca a Peguera es en taxi que cuesta €27 - €33 y dura 18 min.

The A1 is an airport bus. I assume that has a luggage hold. 102 is a "low entry" bus, which sounds like a regular city bus. Will they allow a big bike box?

That 30-35€ is from downtown, but the airport is further away. If I enter airport as starting point, it jumps to 55€ before I have a chance to enter that I need a van to fit a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've checked car rental options at PMI airport and I have a question that other people familiar with moving around Mallorca (or Spain) might be able to address. This is not directly related to Challenge Peguera but loosely on topic (as a rental may be a substitute for a bus/taxi), and I didn't want to open another thread.

How bad are the local car rental companies, really?

The Trustpilot site is full of horror stories about companies like Record Go or Click Rent allegedly charging users for pre-existing damage and refusing to accept evidence that the damage was pre-existing. Since these rentals are low cost, sometimes extremely low cost (EUR 40-50 for a WEEK of driving an Opel Corsa in late March! ca. EUR 200 in October, as per today's offer), it makes sense that companies would be tempted to find an "additional income source", as alleged by those complaining.

On the other hand, I imagine that those unhappy with the outcome of their rental are overrepresented on Trustpilot. People are more likely to actively go to an external site to complain they were scammed than to actively go to an external site to acknowledge that things went fine.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jan 26, 23 1:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Is it possible to go to Peguera by bus from the airport? Google says it's about 4€ with busses A1 and 102.

By taxi I'm seeing ~80€.

Do buses A1 and 102 allow bike boxes? My hotel is at the venue, so I don't want/need to rent a car.

The bus from the airport is easy and frequent as long as you don’t arrive late at night.

There is a taxi sharing scheme as well but it might be difficult with a bike.

Have you already booked your hotel? Some of the hotels also arrange pick up as part of the reservation.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already booked a hotel that's on the swim start/finish beach. They don't offer shuttle service, unfortunately.

The A1 airport bus seems easy enough since it has a luggage hold. But do the city busses (line 102 to Peguera) allow passengers to bring large luggage such as bike boxes?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
How bad are the local car rental companies, really?

We rented from Click Rent last April. The car we got was serviceable but not great shape (AC didn't work, there was real damage to some of the body panels). I booked it with the Chase Sapphire Reserve which offers first party insurance even internationally (at least it did at the time, would reconfirm), documented every detail (photos + video) before we left the lot, sent all the photos to the company and followed up when we didn't get a response. We had no issues at dropoff, but didn't want to take a chance (they drop off locations also don't open super early so keep that in mind when booking flights, there are definitely some flights you couldn't make if you have a rental car).

In contrast, other rentals we made on continental Spain were much more low key (but we still documented the cars at the rental company before leaving).

Also, if you're used to American sized cars, the base models in Europe are extremely small and getting a bike bag/box inside one, even with only a driver could be an interesting logistics situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a ton! I'm European btw., aware of the existence of scooter-sized cars and traveling without a bike, so we're good. Never had issues with rentals (be it Italy, Spain or Jordan), but there's always some stress about whether they've marked all the pre-existing damage (even if I've bought the extra insurance).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, sorry - I can relate to the same bus in Barcelona Airport (Also A1) which would take a bike box in any day, no probs.
Looks like the bus is the AEROTIB A11:
And here is your time table

And here is your bus :)

On car rentals - I never heard of any problems. If it sounds too good to be true (pricewise) it probably is too good to be true. Use Kayak to search for prices, some of the bigger companies have good rates on there.
Last edited by: Mulen: Jan 27, 23 22:22
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google maps didn't give that option. So there is an airport bus that goes all the way to Peguera. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Mallorca - by bus from airport? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Thanks a ton! I'm European btw., aware of the existence of scooter-sized cars and traveling without a bike, so we're good. Never had issues with rentals (be it Italy, Spain or Jordan), but there's always some stress about whether they've marked all the pre-existing damage (even if I've bought the extra insurance).

Spanish car rental has a terrible reputation for MASSIVE add ons when you arrive to pick up the car. And also for charging for existing damage when you return the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Nada :)
Quote Reply