Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Daytona kudos
Quote | Reply
I’ve participated in the sprint distance race in both 2018 and 2019 and wanted to both congratulate and thank Challenge for putting on a terrific event. This might get a bit lengthy, but I want to both describe the race and give the event it’s due. I hope anyone who did the half distance race will weigh in with their thoughts.

The venue is without a doubt the draw, and riding and running on the track is a uniquely cool experience. Having said that, the organization and logistics of the race were also first rate. Lodging, parking, race registration/packet pickup were all easy. The volunteers were numerous and upbeat and there was a great positive energy everywhere.

Race morning began with a one hour delay due to a passing thunderstorm. Challenge quickly announced this onsite and sent an email regarding the change. The weather cleared nicely for the rest of the weekend. Challenge CEO Zibi Szlufcik was walking through transition pre race and we had the chance to have a quick but nice conversation about what a great venue this was for triathlon.

The pro am swim started on time and it was fun to see the pros do the swim leg. The age group race went off, tt start, three swimmers at a time. I had put myself near the front of the 10-15 minute corral and outside of the usual congestion before the first few bouys, it was fine. 68 degree water, no issues. A few friends said it measured a bit long on their watches and my time would probably suggest that, but the course was very well marked and safe.

Transition was just adjacent to the swim, big enough and well laid out, with individual numbers for your spot. You were quickly on the bike and onto the track itself. This is the one area of concern with the sprint race. It is absolutely great to ride on the track and the ride was changed this year to spend more than half the 20k ride on it, 3 1/2 laps. As the laps went by and more riders got onto the track, it did get crowded and you had to be very careful. Folks were riding at different speeds and as much as we are conditioned to never pass on the right, it was almost impossible not to as most people were trying to ride close to the track apron and not on the bank. I think there is a potential way to get the track experience for everyone without the safety issue by doing a lap and a half and then possibly using Midway Blvd. right outside of the speedway grounds to make up the mileage necessary. Having said all that, if you were reasonably cautious you were able to navigate the ride.

The run was straightforward...out of transition and one full lap of the track, with a bit of an infield detour to make up the full 5K. It left me with an appreciation of the scale of the place as the backstretch and last turn seemed to go on for a good long while...and it got warm!

Results were quickly available and awards started promptly at the announced time in Victory Lane. Nice upgrade to the awards this year from 2018.The race was competitive in nearly all the age groups. I went a minute plus faster than 2018 and dropped two spots in the 60-64’s. The AG winner Mike had a great race. Have to give props here to Triathlon Taren, who won his age group. One other bonus? We were sitting in the same bleacher row at awards as Reece and Lucy Charles-Barclay and got to say hi.

The twilight pro race was fantastic, stadium triathlon at its best. I’ve been in the sport for 35 years but it is always remarkable to see how fast the pros go in all three disciplines. As good as they all are, Starky and Lionel were noticeably faster on the bike, lap after lap. And what run duels for both the men and women! I walked away very impressed with it all. Oh, and watching this I don’t think we have yet seen Lionel Sanders best day.

The whole experience has been just great the past two years and I’d highly recommend it. Thanks again to the Challenge organization for putting it all together.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona kudos [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% with everything you said about the race. For the sprint race they will need to do something about the congestion on the track during the bike. Less laps on the track or use some of the run lane for more room, especially in the turns. I've done this race the last two years and it's now my favorite race of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
I did the half yesterday. Awesome race, I would definitely recommend this to anyone. The swim was a perfect 1 lap, wetsuit legal (68F?) a seeded start with no drama and the course measured accurately 1.2mi. Transition area was set up right next to the lake and the asphalt was covered with a rubber carpet thingy - nice touch.

The bike is safe - starts with 2.5 laps on the track then continues outside on mostly empty roads until do an out-and-back on the highway in a protected lane with no vehicle traffic, all coned off. Not a pothole on the entire course.

Run is nice, starts on the track then on the service roads around the track.. no shade but weather was a perfect max of 68-69F and dry.

I used to do Miami Man every year but it became a clusterf**k in the last few years with it becoming a championship race - I'll definitely do this one again.
Great location affordable accomodations and low key with none of the Ironman douchiness - just a well organized race in a great setting.

I skipped on the "Golden ticket" thing but if they really want to make this interesting they should give out Roth slots. No one cares about "the championship" :)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really good sprint race. Just about everything was top notch. Very much looking forward to next year.

The bike course was my only complaint. I think it would have been much better with the 2018 bike course or the originally planned course that has one lap and then left the track to go around the airport. The congestion was really bad but everyone had to deal with it and it was fun out there so I can’t complain too much. At least they allowed passing on the right while on the track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Wish I had went. I emailed them after the race last year asking if they were thinking about putting more of the sprint onto the track and never received a definitive response. Had I known, I would have been there in a heart beat. Be curious to see what they do next year. Personally, I'd rather have some congestion and ride around the track than have more open road and not be in the track. The draw is the track.

How many were in the race?

Fly-by-night is on the Watkins Glen course (slightly longer) and if you are a faster rider you do pass a lot of people but definitely not a problem. The track is wide but I think Daytona is wider.

You also can't expect people to only pass on the left on a NASCAR track unless you make the slower riders ride the outer lane which I'm guessing not many (any) did
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona kudos [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you include the sprint duathletes and relays who were on course at the same time as the triathletes, you had over 500 athletes. It got progressively more crowded each lap and there were some close calls. I did see one crash. It was difficult at times to stay in the aero bars and at race pace while passing slower racers. You could pass to the right, but couldn’t get too high up on the bank to do so without that also become a safety issue.
My guess, and hope, is that they will do a hybrid of both the past two years courses. Do a 2 lap course...a lap and 1/2 of the track, exit on an ancillary road (one that doesn’t have the narrow out and back component that has been used) reenter and do a second lap (track, ancillary road, finish). That would give you almost 5.5-6 miles of the 12.4 on the track and be far safer. Keep a full lap in the track for the majority of your run and you will have a great sense of racing on the Daytona track.

They'll figure it out. It’s a great event and I know that if you do get the chance to come down and experience it you’ll enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced the middle distance on Sunday. During the middle distance pre-race briefing they instructed athletes to ride on the left side (inside) of the track and to pass on the right side (outside), and then to go back to normal ride on the right pass on the left after the speedway laps. I'm not sure how many people actually heard this though.

I felt for some of the slower athletes approaching the cutoff times on the run course because there was not a moment of shade and by 1-2pm the sun was coming down pretty hard. Reminded me of IM Gulf Coast 70.3 but a little cooler weather. I don't think there's much that Challenge can do about that. The run course was great otherwise! And of course the swim and bike were well designed also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark M wrote:
If you include the sprint duathletes and relays who were on course at the same time as the triathletes, you had over 500 athletes. It got progressively more crowded each lap and there were some close calls. I did see one crash. It was difficult at times to stay in the aero bars and at race pace while passing slower racers. You could pass to the right, but couldn’t get too high up on the bank to do so without that also become a safety issue.
My guess, and hope, is that they will do a hybrid of both the past two years courses. Do a 2 lap course...a lap and 1/2 of the track, exit on an ancillary road (one that doesn’t have the narrow out and back component that has been used) reenter and do a second lap (track, ancillary road, finish). That would give you almost 5.5-6 miles of the 12.4 on the track and be far safer. Keep a full lap in the track for the majority of your run and you will have a great sense of racing on the Daytona track.

They'll figure it out. It’s a great event and I know that if you do get the chance to come down and experience it you’ll enjoy it.

Lets hope they do figure it out and put a little effort into advertising (or at least posting accurate info) The web-site still has the course from the 2018 race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our son did the kids Triathlon and got a shirt, a bag, the same full sized finishers medal and the same AG award. That was very cool for $25.00. Some lady started bitching about kids going the wrong way on the course and her kids crying because they didn't place so the RD gave her Podium medals as well just to shut her up. Props to the RD for making it a great experience for all, even that whiny ass.

Absolutely amazing to watch the run battle between LS and PG. Those two were sprinting the whole way.

Lots of Pros mingling and smiling.

Hotel was $100.00 and 1/2 mile from venue. Lots of places to eat. Near the beach.

Raced modified 1/2 last year. Watched this year. We will go every year even if we don't race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona kudos [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn’t do the race, but am very happy Challenge is having success with it. Would love to see them become a more aggressive competitor to IM. Having a series with Roth slots would be a game changer.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona kudos [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in the middle distance and agree with a lot of the comments about the uniqueness of this event. Challenge Family has done a good job of making this a weekend destination race that's spectator friendly and allows you and the spouse to both compete.

This was my first CF race and I sent them a bit of feedback.

- The athlete guide contained errors about the nutrition that would be provided on the run. Only water, mix and gels at some of the aid stations. Guide also mentioned there being oranges, bananas, soda and ice. I would have carried more with me on the run had I known the stations wouldn't be stocked with much.

- Pretty stoked about the cool medal design but the rest of the swag was all a bit cheap. I was browsing the merch tent after the race, also nothing to be desired, and even heard one of the pros remark that they didn't receive any shirt etc in their registration kit. I think it only can strengthen CF's brand to have a finisher's hat or shirt that we athlete's will be proud to rep.

On the plus side the local police did an outstanding job with traffic control. I felt extremely safe the whole ride with a dedicated lane.

I would expect increased registration next year after the improved weather, positive feedback on the pro race and coverage from Talbot and Bob.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona kudos [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
B.McMaster wrote:
Interesting. Wish I had went. I emailed them after the race last year asking if they were thinking about putting more of the sprint onto the track and never received a definitive response. Had I known, I would have been there in a heart beat. Be curious to see what they do next year. Personally, I'd rather have some congestion and ride around the track than have more open road and not be in the track. The draw is the track.

How many were in the race?

Fly-by-night is on the Watkins Glen course (slightly longer) and if you are a faster rider you do pass a lot of people but definitely not a problem. The track is wide but I think Daytona is wider.

You also can't expect people to only pass on the left on a NASCAR track unless you make the slower riders ride the outer lane which I'm guessing not many (any) did

Watkins Glen is a road course if I'm not mistaken and I assume isn't banked. Much of Daytona is banked and the banks are steep. You can't really ride on them. The flat area at the bottom isn't very wide.

The track is the draw and probably why people didn't seem too mad but by the last lap I was ready to get off of it.

By no means did it ruin the experience though. I won't hesitate to sign up for the race again.
Quote Reply