Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Daytona bike course
Quote | Reply
Any Florida locals with feedback on the new Challenge Daytona middle distance bike course ?

It looks pancake flat but wondering if wind might be a factor ?

On a side note, the pro field on Saturday night should be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona bike course [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead flat but wind can always be a factor. One never knows, it can be quiet or it can be howling. It's rarely shifty, but can be puffy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice your left turns.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dead flat, probably windy. Usually early morning winds will be offshore and switch throughout the day, so depending on when you leave and come back could be headwind each way. Did the race last year which was modified due to storms and the lake was REALLY cold. I'm a Floridan, so clearly not used to cold, but it took me a second to get rid of the headache it gave me when I got to my bike. Also international blvd outside the stadium is a complete shit of a road. That and the run was 1/2 mile short.

All that aside I'd do it again because it really was cool riding in the stadium, and the pro field looks fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona bike course [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Dead flat, probably windy. Usually early morning winds will be offshore and switch throughout the day, so depending on when you leave and come back could be headwind each way. Did the race last year which was modified due to storms and the lake was REALLY cold. I'm a Floridan, so clearly not used to cold, but it took me a second to get rid of the headache it gave me when I got to my bike. Also international blvd outside the stadium is a complete shit of a road. That and the run was 1/2 mile short.

All that aside I'd do it again because it really was cool riding in the stadium, and the pro field looks fun to watch.

Looks like air temp could be in the 40s or low 50s. Water temp may be in the low 60s

Any suggestions for staying warm in the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona bike course [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did IMFL wearing socks on my arms and a bag down my kit, so I'm not the best to give advice on staying warm. Just wanted to point out that the temp in the man made lake drops quick because it's shallow. If it's sunny it may not be bad. I was okay once I got going but only had a 20 +/- mile ride due to the modified course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
I just did IMFL wearing socks on my arms and a bag down my kit, so I'm not the best to give advice on staying warm. Just wanted to point out that the temp in the man made lake drops quick because it's shallow. If it's sunny it may not be bad. I was okay once I got going but only had a 20 +/- mile ride due to the modified course.

Thank you for the info

I don’t do great with cold water/air temps

Swam 30 min today in a heated pool in Orlando. Was shaking and lips were blue

Maybe get one of ROKA’s thermal Maverick wetsuits for Daytona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:

By "stadium" do you mean speedway?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona bike course [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

Thank you for the info

I don’t do great with cold water/air temps

Swam 30 min today in a heated pool in Orlando. Was shaking and lips were blue

Maybe get one of ROKA’s thermal Maverick wetsuits for Daytona?

It really could go either way weather wise. North Florida is bipolar, especially the last few Decembers. It's 40 one day and 85 the next. A couple days in the 80s and it won't even be a wetsuit swim. A day in the 40s and it's freezing.

japarker24 wrote:
rjrankin wrote:

By "stadium" do you mean speedway?

Sorry, yes speedway. It was a neat experience and I'd do it again if we hadn't already planned a family cruise the week before.
Quote Reply