No broadcast this year. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanders and Charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paula seems to be going very well right now, but may not be fully recovered. Lucy should be the favorite, wire to wire. Same with Lionel, after his last race, seems to be going really good, and he does fine in hotter weather, if they get it. Dont see anyone beating him. Eric had trouble in the heat in Cabo, so for sure he is hoping for a cool winter day in Florida. I will go with:

Sanders
Lagerstorm

Charles
Findlay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad they can’t broadcast it. It’s nearly the perfect setup to broadcast the event. Swim in the infield lake, bike something like 20 laps around the track and then run around the infield. Logistics would be easy. That’s a really cool pro race setup imo to get it to the public.

Is Roth even broadcast? I’ve watched that challenge “championship” event a few times but that’s about it for Challenge events.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they will have coverage on Facebook Live? They just posted this on Instagram less than an hour ago: https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

Quote:
challengedaytonaBe sure to tune in LIVE for all of the history making race action during "Daytona Distance Under the Lights" we will have a live broadcast providing you all the start-to-finish action!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the notification on Facebook as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Is Roth even broadcast? I’ve watched that challenge “championship” event a few times but that’s about it for Challenge events.

Yeah but only 9hrs 30min worth...:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8hadlVFTk
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sanders is doing two 70.3’s within 7 days?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

And?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

No

Pro race is under the lights on the track

1-mile swim; a 15-lap, 37.5-mile bike; and an 8.2-mile run

Does it seem to favor bike riders?

Should be interesting as faster riders lap the slower riders

https://challenge-daytona.com/races/daytona-distance/
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 11, 19 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured it did, just didnt recognize a bunch of Roth threads that had second by second play by play that Kona does. I'm sure there is plenty of comments on Roth, I've not paid as close attention to Roth that I do Kona. Hell I've even tuned in for the challenge champs...although that likely has to do with the time zone im in. German time zone vs eastern US time zone means absolutely middle of night live coverage for myself. If it's on past 1am, I'm usually not going to tune in, and will just watch the recap/highlights/splits (unless of course my own athletes are in it).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the women side, my pick is Findlay...short course and she is on fire.
For the men, I would pick Pablo Dapena Gonzalez who has more pedigree than almost anyone, but he had a muscular tear in his leg two weeks ago...so instead, my pick is Joe Gambles. Sanders??? this distance is too short for him..

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this distance is too short for him..

-------

I would actually think it was pretty close to ideal distance considering how short the swim is. The shorter the swim is, the more you can "fake it" and keep a closer gap. And considering they want to showcase the big track as the backdrop you can understand why it's cycling heavy. Not to say he will win, I just think it's about as good of a setup you can get for this distance.

This is like an extended olympic except they didn't extend the swim out to 1900-2000m, they kept it at the 1mi distance; but they increased the bike by almost 1/2 and run by 1/3rd. So for a weak swimmer and strongest biker, this is ideal course modification for him.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 12, 19 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women: Charles, Findlay, Sodaro

Men: Butterfield, Sanders, Lagerstrom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to you figure that? The swim is the longest leg relative to a normal 70.3

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do i figure what? Where are you getting 70.3 from anyways? This is closer to an olympic than a 70.3

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess, but Lionel doesn't race olympics. It makes more sense to me that he's losing a larger percentage of bike/run time than swim, relative to the distance he usually races

Put another way, these are the least favorable set of distances LS has raced at

Last edited by: Birdmantris: Dec 12, 19 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure but I would also say that this is the most ideal bike course for him. He's going to see the competition the whole time from T1 because of the massiveness of the track. So my point was he gets a shorter swim compared to the other 2 events for the "distance" they are doing. So my guess is that he's going to be in great shape off the bike.

Or shall I say, I'm sure Lags would have loved for the swim to have been ~1900m to make it more equal in the "extended olympic" distance they made the bike/run. That would have basically balanced it out proportionally.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too like this distance for Lionel, he will be about 1 1/2 down on the swim, and have 37 miles to make that up. Being a shorter run I have a feeling it is going to be a group pretty early, guys will be drilling themselves to just hold whatever pace someone is setting, like an ITU race. It is too short to pace, and 5 or 6 of those guys can run really fast for short distances, will be interesting to see what kind of short speed Lionel has when pressured.

His 1;12 last week(more like a 1;10 with two bathroom stops) is pretty quick on its own, so I think he can still win this in the run if need be. I just think he will run out of room on the bike to cause much of a gap after making up his swim deficit, so better have some fast shoes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put another way, these are the least favorable set of distances LS has raced at

----

I guess the point I was making that for the least favorable distances, they did him favors by having the shortest swim comparable to the other 2 distances in what we normally compare with "olympic" distances. That they "extended" the bike and run while not extending the swim was the point I was making.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
How to you figure that? The swim is the longest leg relative to a normal 70.3

I did a little math:

Swim - 83% distance of a 70.3 swim
Bike - 69% distance of a 70.3 bike
Run - 62% distance of a 70.3 run

So it does help the swimmers, guys like Lionel won't have as much real estate on the bike to close down the gap to the uber swimmers, i.e. Lagerstrom.

I think we could get a good showdown between Paula and Lucy.
Last edited by: CementBottle: Dec 12, 19 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually wish they'd have allowed drafting to get the full "nascar" affect going.

*ducks*

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah i get what you're saying. Guess it depends on frame of reference mostly. Think he'll do well regardless

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a little math: //

Do the math compared to an olympic distance, you will get the exact opposite of what you just posted. This race is much, much closer to an olympic than a half, so it will be raced that way as opposed to the half..
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona, last big race of the year [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No love for Starky? Good enough swimmer, if he blasts the bike, he can only lose so much time on the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next