Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience?
Quote | Reply
So I'm fully willing to admit that it might be the $25 chainring I just got off ebay but for the first time ever I'm having an issue where the chain is getting essentially stuck on the chainring at the bottom where it would hop off and then throwing the RD forward and bouncing the chain like crazy. There are the correct number of links in the chain so that the NW teeth are falling in the correct chain spaces each rotation, I checked that. Do you think this is just a bad tolerance in the mold of my cheap chainring or have many people experienced this and does it just need a wear-in period?

For a visual check out this video I was testing of my fit. Happens about 18 seconds in and then continuously more or less: https://photos.app.goo.gl/D4PMhvUabj5yDQTr9

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: May 29, 19 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you check your quick link?

Side note don’t re-use those.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't aware not to reuse those but it looks great and it's not getting stuck there specifically. I tried to track if it was a certain tooth but it seems to happen pretty randomly.

Quote Reply
Re: Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check chain for stretch/wear?
Everything nice and clean with not too much lube?

You mighta got what you paid for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a brand new waxed chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is a bent chainring or tooth. Do you have another ring or crankset you can try on there?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Check chain for stretch/wear?
Everything nice and clean with not too much lube?

You mighta got what you paid for.
Wow. Ding ding.
Could have sworn I didn't have too many miles on this chain but maybe it was more than I thought or maybe the 1x ring I had been using wears chains down quicker. I guess it was stretched because I tossed my wife's newer chain on and it stopped catching but I wonder if that could possibly be a factor of the increased chain tension with a shorter chain (hers was too short to even get to my last 3 cogs).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok,

Not to tell you what you should do but...

With a new cassette, new NW chain ring and a new bike could you please consider buying a new chain and quick link?

Really don’t want to hear how you were in the mix for a pay check at Eagle Man and then had a “mechanical”

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Chain sticking to 1x NW chainring: anyone have this experience? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went out to the shop and got one the instant I realized what was up. I appreciate the advice though. I sometimes have tendency to try to save money in not the right ways.

Quote Reply