Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area for rear storage box testing
Quote | Reply
Hi fellow P5 owners.

I’m developing a rear box similar to the one for the Trek speed concept. I’ve 3D printed one for my P5 56cm. Looking to modify the design to fit 52, 54 and 58 frame. In order to do that I need to measure your frame and print a test version or a couple for your frame. Of course you would get a free print for your bike. I’ve been using mine successfully for less than a year, although I’ve made a few modifications to it to work/fit better on my bike.

If you are in Marin or the city that would be easier for all concerned, I’m in Marin.

Thanks

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Nov 19, 18 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you want to print a couple extras for a 56cm frame??

Quote | Reply
If you cannot find anyone in SF, I can measure my 58 for you...in ohio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would it fit on a NP3 frame by any chance?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in San Jose and have a 58 frame. Feel free to DM me.

Do you have a picture of the rear box you created for yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yann,

We all appreciate your efforts! Thank you for sharing your expertise and talents!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please let me know if you would consider selling a box, I am on the fence about purchasing a P5 and not having the box has been a low point. This may aid my decision. Do you have any pictures to share? Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [BoomerRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BoomerRocket wrote:
Please let me know if you would consider selling a box, I am on the fence about purchasing a P5 and not having the box has been a low point. This may aid my decision. Do you have any pictures to share? Thank you

Yes, my plan is to sell them. Currently, I've sold 3 for the 56 cm frame as 3d models to be 3d printed by the buyer. The cost to buy the 3d model is $40.

I've had requests for a 54 and 52 as well and have modified the 3d model best I could based on getting the owners of respective sizes giving me a template to go by.

The first image is the one on my 56cm frame.

The second image is a "test print" for a 52cm frame. As you can see it doesn't quite fit. Unfortunately, the owner is in Australia, so doing iterations on it to get it right is not economical or practical.

I've got a 54cm printed and about to send to David (commented on this post) in Virginia to see how it fits on his.

Once I have the 3d model right so that it fits properly on the different sized bikes, they can be professionally printed at shapeways.com, which means they will have a more finished look, not like what you see in the images attached, but also, they will be more expensive.

Note that these will probably not fit on the newer p5 since it seems like curve on the back of the frame behind the seatpost has changed.

short video here

Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Dec 1, 18 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, fits like a glove! Nice job!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:

I too would be interested in one for a 51 NP2, if the design works or can be adapted to the lesser frames.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

I too would be interested in one for a 51 NP2, if the design works or can be adapted to the lesser frames.

The problem with np2 and np3 is that the rear brake is in the way. Could adapt the box somehow to them, but it would not look as clean.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take a 58 for the red P5

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this looks really great. I would be interested in buying the specs for a 54cm.

I wonder, however, how this box would impact the P5 aerodynamics, since that down tube area was specifically designed to "pull" down air coming off the rider and reduce drag. Seems putting some new object in there might interfere with the aerodynamics.

Any thoughts or testing on your box's impact on CdA? Would love to hear the aero gurus' thoughts on this....
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Wow, this looks really great. I would be interested in buying the specs for a 54cm.

I wonder, however, how this box would impact the P5 aerodynamics, since that down tube area was specifically designed to "pull" down air coming off the rider and reduce drag. Seems putting some new object in there might interfere with the aerodynamics.

Any thoughts or testing on your box's impact on CdA? Would love to hear the aero gurus' thoughts on this....

No idea what effect it has on the aerodynamics of the bike. I have no easy way of testing it.

In theory, I could run it through the computational fluid dynamics CFD part of the software I use to design it. But it would mean having an accurate 3D model of the bike, which I don’t have. Although this could be a fun project to 3D scan the bike. I can have access to a 3D scanner through a coworker.

Problem is having the time to do it.

That being said, I designed it because I didn’t like the aesthetics/practicallity of a saddle bag when I have the 2 saddle mounted bottles.

I’m not an aero expert but I play one on tv. 😀

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you concerned about the attachment to the seatpost via a collar? I have a feeling that it might snap if you hit a decent pothole. Although the proximity to the frame would be help in terms of reducing the range of vibration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done design! WRT to aero, it's unlikely to have a dramatic impact one way or another. The P5's seat tube was designed to help fill in the area of low pressure behind the rider but for most I doubt that amount to more than a watt or two.

... you might want to put some foam on the inside to quiet things a bit. That's what I ended up doing on my Speed Concept's draft box.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Are you concerned about the attachment to the seatpost via a collar? I have a feeling that it might snap if you hit a decent pothole. Although the proximity to the frame would be help in terms of reducing the range of vibration.

I've been using this design for about a year now and haven't had any problems with it snapping. I've ridden some pretty bad roads north of San Francisco that are a great test for durability. The only time I broke the box off was when I hit it with my knee after fixing a flat.

You are also right that it helps that it sits against the rear of the frame. I think that helps a lot too.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Yannb ,

Thank you Brotha , just purchase used P5 a size 54cm , would love have one on my new P5 bike project for 2019.
Pls let me the detail on how to get one or two. I live in SoCal .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
No idea what effect it has on the aerodynamics of the bike. I have no easy way of testing it.

i will test for you...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area [Ironmar26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmar26 wrote:
Hi Yannb ,

Thank you Brotha , just purchase used P5 a size 54cm , would love have one on my new P5 bike project for 2019.
Pls let me the detail on how to get one or two. I live in SoCal .

Working on getting it to fit on a 54. I really need easy access to a 54 locally so I can do test fit. Meanwhile, I’ve sent one to another forum user today to try out.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Yann, hopefully everything works out . Would be stoke to own one.
Last edited by: Ironmar26: Nov 20, 18 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 owners in San Francisco Bay Area for rear storage box testing [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has a 48cm, I would be interested in getting one. If you need help on measurements we are in Dallas.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely buy two for 54 cm ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
Toby wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

The problem with np2 and np3 is that the rear brake is in the way. Could adapt the box somehow to them, but it would not look as clean.

It depends on the brake used. I have a shimano ultegra brake in the back and I am pretty sure that there would be enough space for a good size storage box - large enough for a tire, two levers, a cartridge and an inflator. At least on my size 58cm frame. I can measure it if you want to give it a whirl.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really slick design, I noticed that the P5 has a rear-facing seat clamp, have you considered fixing the draft box to this directly rather than around the seatpost?

I've been working on something similar for my Orbea, but rather than a whole box I'm just designing a hanger which you can then attach a box (or whatever you want for that matter.
Last edited by: Stevie_A: Nov 22, 18 4:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next