Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help
Quote | Reply
Hello Everybody,

I am doing my first Ironman this year and I need help getting my bike setup for it? I am a lot nervous so I have tons of questions. I am in the military and I am training to take part in the military nationals as well. I should also mention that I have been deployed for the last year so I am really not in the loop. I signed up for an ironman to keep me focused while I was gone.

I have access to a Cervelo P5 etap, what do i need to set it up:

What would you recommend for behind the seat hydration, down tube bottle and between the arms hydration? I have a zipp between arms hydration right now but the torhans looks interesting.
Do people still use xlabs stuff, none of the local stores seem to carry it?
What do you recommend for a bento box?
What should I do for a repair kit? The bike has the typical hed jet black 6 so will 80mm stems on inner tubes work?
What do you think of those pit stop type products that can potentially seal a flat and re inflate and do you have a product suggestion if they work?
Should I change tires to GP4000s 25mm tires or keep the Attack/Forces 25mm/23mm that comes with it?

What do you think of the new Giro Vanquisher MIPs helmet?

Any recommendations for power meters and computers. I am not hearing great things about the vector 3 dual side?

Am I missing anything?

Thank you,
Last edited by: zander1976: May 27, 18 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help [zander1976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are going to get a ton of different answers. Each responder has found the setup that works for them.
Here's my setup after tinkering with it over the last few years

• Bento box: Specialized Remora, I have played around with Torhans, and Dark Speed Works. I have found that the Specialized Remora has the most volume and is the easiest to access.
  • Behind the seat: During IMC last year, I opted to go with a single bottle behind the seat. However the TacX Saddle Clamp that I have been using supports dual cages as well. Super cheap and rock solid
  • For a repair kit: i rolled my own with the Torhans VR Series. Took a soldering iron and a hacksaw, then used Sugru and neoprene from an old wetsuit to make a no rattle downtube flat kit to mount in that trapezoid.

• BTA: I have tried the Torhans BTA (both of them) was using the Aero 30 and its a really great product. However with the Alpha X, the Xlab Torpedo with the include computer mount is hands down amazing.
  • Tires -- its a no brainer - to switch to the GP4000S. However, be careful with the 25mm tires. Check the clearances.
  • PowerMeter : If you have a default P5 - it probably came with a Rotor crank - Rotor and Power2Max are made for each other. Unless you want to switch out the crank to something else.
  • Computer: Whatever DC Rainmaker is recommending these days. Plenty of options out there.

Hope that helps
Last edited by: harshc: May 27, 18 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another P5(6) rider here, my personal setup below in Blue. I love comparing notes with fellow owners, always so insightful.

zander1976 wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I am doing my first Ironman this year and I need help getting my bike setup for it? I am a lot nervous so I have tons of questions. I am in the military and I am training to take part in the military nationals as well. I should also mention that I have been deployed for the last year so I am really not in the loop. I signed up for an ironman to keep me focused while I was gone.

I have access to a Cervelo P5 etap, what do i need to set it up:

What would you recommend for behind the seat hydration, down tube bottle and between the arms hydration? I have a zipp between arms hydration right now but the torhans looks interesting.
I like keeping things clean and opted for a single bottle behind the seat using Xlab's Aero Pouch 300, this also functions as my tool / CO2 storage. I use a single BTA up front (Xlab Gorilla Cage) and an Elite Aero Bottle on the down tube.For BTA I have used all the various products over the years and my motto has evolved to 'just simplify', everything that can go wrong with a hydration setup at some point will. It has for me anyways. Using a simple bottle up front allows me to swap / replace hydration fairly easy. I flip the BTA cage backwards so the top of the bottle faces me, allows me to more easily remove it while staying in aero.

Do people still use xlabs stuff, none of the local stores seem to carry it? Absolutely, great company. They're active on here and even sent me some free replacement bolts after some had rusted on my Aero Pouch 300 setup.
What do you recommend for a bento box? Dark Speed Works makes a bag specific for the P5. I like that it has a zipper, keeping stuff in / out.
What should I do for a repair kit? The bike has the typical hed jet black 6 so will 80mm stems on inner tubes work? I keep most of my kit in the Aero Pouch behind me seat, a spare tube under my seat.
What do you think of those pit stop type products that can potentially seal a flat and re inflate and do you have a product suggestion if they work? Clinchers here, use spare tube.
Should I change tires to GP4000s 25mm tires or keep the Attack/Forces 25mm/23mm that comes with it? Yes on GP4000s, no brainer. I use 23 up front and 25 in back.

What do you think of the new Giro Vanquisher MIPs helmet?

Any recommendations for power meters and computers. I am not hearing great things about the vector 3 dual side? I'm using Quarq, set it and forget it. DC Rainmaker will have the best reviews for you.

Am I missing anything? Replace stock aero pads with Cee Gees Cushy's Aeropads (Amazon). Look up Tom Gerlach's write up on aero shoes.

Thank you,

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What nutrition and fluid is concerned: first you have to decide what, when and how much you want to take on the course. Gels? Solid nutrition? Water? Electrolytes? Of your own or do you want to use nutrition from the aid stations? Once you know all that, you know how much bento-boxes and bottles you need and than you can start the question which ones and how to mount them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, everyone will be a little different with their needs and what works best for them. I primarily do short course but this set up seems to work for me when I do a long course event on my P5:
.....Profile Design HC up front.....the bottle sits between the arms using velcro on bottle and extensions....no holder needed. Garmin computer sits on top of the bottle filler cap using velcro and small screw.
.....Xlab bento to hold gels
.....Xlab carbon 400i double wing bottle holder behind the seat....use one side for regular bottle and a Xlab Mezzo Pod for repair kit. The Pod holds two tubes, two CO2 cartridges, lever, and a couple #4 and 5 wrenches.
Have used Conti gp4000s last few years but switched to TTs this year on my Enve 8.9s.
Good luck and have fun.
Last edited by: gphin305: May 29, 18 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the great tips.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on the best racing wheelset for this bike? When I initially bought this bike I already had Zipps 808 Firecrest from 2015. That wheelset is too wide for this bike, i wish they were slightly more narrow to allow more space between the rear brake pads. I did noticed the new firecrest are not as wide. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help [npoland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npoland wrote:
Any suggestions on the best racing wheelset for this bike? When I initially bought this bike I already had Zipps 808 Firecrest from 2015. That wheelset is too wide for this bike, i wish they were slightly more narrow to allow more space between the rear brake pads. I did noticed the new firecrest are not as wide. Thanks

Wide 808s are not a problem for this bike. If you have problems with the brake pads you must solve the problem there. Either shave the brake pads or adjust your rear wheel slightly rearwardly, than you also have to slide your brake pads rearwardly which automatically brings them more outwardly ("magic" :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi zander

After a number of years of trying things out, I find the following works best (for me), is simple and I think is the most "aero" hydration setup for a full Ironman.

1 bottle BTA mounted on the P5 bridge between the arm pars (I use X-lab Torpedo Cage).
1 bottle behind the seat - I use a Specialized Sitero saddle which has the built in rear bottle cage mount, matched with a X-Lab Gorilla XL cage (I have found this combination to be the best "non-launch" setup to date). If you don't use a Sitero, you may have to use something like an X-Lab Delta 200 to mount a rear cage.
Bento box - Profile Design Attak - matches perfectly to the P5, but is not the best ito access and capacity, but I don't carry that many gels. Also recommend the Specialized Remora as another option.

I typically don't run a third bottle, but I have in the past run with an extra bottle cage on the down tube (either standard cage, or an aero bottle) if its a hot race...

So I typically only have two bottles on my bike, with 3 gels and some chews etc. in the bento box for 1st half of the ride. I then have two replacement bottles and some gels at special needs. Takes 10s to stop, replace bottles and get going again. I also grab water or an extra bottle at aid stations if I need.

My repair kit is just a tube, CO2 canister, valve extender and 2 tire levers taped together with electrical tape, and then held by a Velcro loop (one of the X-lab ones) between the saddle and rear cage.

That's it.

Oh, and keep the Attack/Force. They are (slightly) faster than the GP4000s and in my experience no real difference in puncture protection... they are great race tires
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What wheelset do you use for your P5? Do you have a disc wheel recommendation for the P5?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Ironman Setup Help [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone through a bunch of permutations, have had the bike for 5 years. It was a 2012 model I bought much later after they switched to 11spd Di2.

last year I replaced the original 10spd Di2 with Etap.
I have the hi-V mount installed and the bta mount there an xlab torpedo bottle sits in the gorilla cage. Make sure you use a velcro strap to tighten it.
one rear hydration bottle on the xlab delta mount.
Profile design Bento which has my spare kit in it (Conti race lite tube, valve extension, 2 CO2s and a small multi-tool,valve extension wrench)
taped to the rails of the seat are my crack pipe for disc wheel and regular tube filler (now that I write that, I really only need the crack pipe)
stuffed under the seat between the rails is a 2nd cont race lite tube
I will add a bottle on the downtube for training rides.

I also usually race with a super 9 disc and a 404 up front if it's windy

I live off the "fat of the land" and eat on course nutrition. drill is to enter aid station, toss remainder or empty bottle from rear hydration, grab a new Gatorade bottle, rack it. Grab a banana/clifbar or Gel from a volunteer, put under leg band, grab water, hose self off, swig some, toss it.

when i hit a good flat spot out of traffic, i refill the torpedo on the go with the bottle in the back.

as a frame of reference, I am in the top 5% of 50-54 AG, but not yet KQ.

Last edited by: SDinhofer: Sep 12, 18 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Zipp Super-9 disc (always), with either a 404 or 808 front depending on if I'm worried about wind or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npoland wrote:
What wheelset do you use for your P5? Do you have a disc wheel recommendation for the P5?

When I did Kona, I used my set of Enve 8.9s with Conti gp4000s. This past season I ran a HEDJet+ disc and 4+front with Conti TTs......very happy with this combo.
Quote Reply