Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0???
Quote | Reply
Need some help, what would you choose?:
- 2016 (not new but in really good condition) Cervelo P3 DI2 with ZIPP wheels. Looks amazing! 4500 euros
- 2018 (new) Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 LTD with Ulltegra DI2 and ZIPP wheels. Looks more boring as its all black. 5200 euros
Pictures attached
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [Nicoderos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon, no brainer. It is probably faster. It has a better (meaning probably more aero and adjustable) cockpit. It has the latest (and new) drivetrain components. P3 has dirty cable routing. Canyon has nice integrated storage. Canyon dominates at Kona, so there is that.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks exxxviii, appreciated your reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the CF, I think the P3 is very equivalent or maybe faster. Both have back brakes in the same place. Getting the cable routing thru the top tube on the P3 is not difficult, and I think the P3 would test as fast.

The CF is NOT the CF SLX, and I think it's easy to say the Canyon is faster but truly, I wouldn't be surprised if the P3 is at the very least the equivalent of the CF.

Easy to get them confused, but it's like the CF SLX v the P5, CF v the P3.

My two cents. The CF is maybe less of the SLX than the P3 to the P5 in my estimation.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks dfru, its not the CF SLX........ so you would go for the Cervelo?
I have that thinking that Cervelo is more authentic and that in a few years if I change bikes it maintains better its value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say cervelo is more authentic...

I have LOVED my P2. It feels fast, it's comfortable, I've felt great running off it. Easy to work with. A wonderful bike. I never wanted a Cervelo because everyone has one, but I had a situation that led me to get one due to not really having a choice.

It's a great bike (same frame) and I would not hesitate a second to get one. I can't think of anything that I can afford that I would switch it for if that helps.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It helps! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly certain you mean to say that the Cervelo is faster and that Cervelo dominates at Kona.

exxxviii wrote:
Canyon, no brainer. It is probably faster. It has a better (meaning probably more aero and adjustable) cockpit. It has the latest (and new) drivetrain components. P3 has dirty cable routing. Canyon has nice integrated storage. Canyon dominates at Kona, so there is that.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I'm fairly certain you mean to say that the Cervelo is faster and that Cervelo dominates at Kona.

exxxviii wrote:

That's kind of what I was saying, just much more to the point ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't get me wrong, both Canyons are beautiful bikes and I love them.

dfru wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

exxxviii wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally get that! I love the SLX for the integration standpoint - but I look at the CF and think that it would be similar to the P2-3 from an integration standpoint. The beauty - thanks Lionel - is the integration of hydration etc with the SLX model for me.

That said - the P5 still holds it's own against anything out there aerodynamically and with some cabling and a couple tririg brakes, I feel like my P2 would stack up very well to anything I could do with the CF. And I love the way the P2 feels riding. Plus - 700 euros for other toys!

ericMPro wrote:
don't get me wrong, both Canyons are beautiful bikes and I love them.

dfru wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I'm fairly certain you mean to say that the Cervelo is faster and that Cervelo dominates at Kona

exxxviii wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
;) Cervelo still dominates at Kona in number of bikes. But, Canyon dominates in wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicoderos wrote:
Need some help, what would you choose?:
- 2016 (not new but in really good condition) Cervelo P3 DI2 with ZIPP wheels. Looks amazing! 4500 euros
- 2018 (new) Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 LTD with Ulltegra DI2 and ZIPP wheels. Looks more boring as its all black. 5200 euros
Pictures attached

My view :

Aero : P3 probably very slightly faster
Weight : P3 probably lighter
Cockpit : P3 probably easier to tweak, a little bit less integrated
Fit : up to you to say
Integration : easy to stick a bento on top of P3 horizontal tube, + bottle and aeropouch behind the ISM

The Canyon is new, but the P3 is less expensive.

Then, there is the look. Personal choice :-)

In your case, if you prefer the look of the Cervelo, go for the P3. And keep money delta for some other piece of equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So which one you would pick, the P3 or the Speedmax CF?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I kinda like more the P3 from an aesthetic but the Canyon is the latest...... This morning they reduced me 400euros form the P3 so now it makes a bigger difference (1100euros less than the Canyon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you go with the bike you like best - which seems to be the Cervelo. The CF isn't the latest and greatest either - it's a simplified version of their best bike too. The P2 was raced at Kona in the pro race (Teresa Adam) and the P3 is a tremendous bike. 1100 euro ain't nothing to shake a stick at either.

Get the bike that makes you want to ride it, the one that excites you more. Ultimately that's the best option.

If you are struggling to find somewhere to spend that 1100 euro, I can give you my paypal address and take it off your plate! HAHA!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha ha....... thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From Tour Mag testing in 2017

That's a difference of a little over 3mins in an IM. Compared to the P5-3 the P3 has the exposed rear brake and different TT-ST gusset. As far as anyone has been able to work out this doesn't make a particularly large difference. The P5-3 does have better bars than the P3 (though those still test well too) so there will be a performance delta - pretty unlikely that it is 3mins though.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always so much great information. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 or Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0??? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long time ago, like maybe 2014-ish, I think I remember reading that Cervelo said the P3 was about 5W-6W slower than the P5 (both as configured). And, others thought that if you upgraded the P3 to have better aero bars and better aero brakes, that the difference would be around 1W-2W. This chart is comparing CdA, so how would the P3's 5W and 1W theoretical differences from the P5 layer into this chart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When the P5 was released their data showed the P4 to be 39s slower over an IM. They said the NP3 was 68g slower, which is just under 2mins.
But that was with chunky Aura bars. As near as anyone could work out, upgrading the bits would take the NP3 to 10-20g behind (max 30g)

Tririg showed the optimised P2 matching the P5, it's just a pity that he tested at FASTER so the data is not 100% reliable. At the least it shows that they're very close.
Quote Reply