Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3 help
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have just bought a cervelo p3 online, which is due to be delivered next week. The bike shop have given me the option of gluing in the steerer insert or leaving it unglued and me using a compression bung instead. I am new to this, and not sure what the best option is or what the pro’s and con’s of each are too. From what I understand is that once the insert is glued in, the fork cannot be later trimmed to size, is this correct? Am I also right in thinking that the compression bung is only a temporary option?
Please can someone advise me on what’s best.

Many thanks,

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [Triplesteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't want it glued in.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your reply. Really, How come? The fact that it seems permanent does seem a little drastic. Is a compression bung a viable long term option? Also, if I get the fork trimmed, will I have to glue the insert in then?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or....you do want it glued in, but after you determine where you want it cut. it adds support to the carbon steerer
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your thoughts too. If I got it cut and glued in, would leaving enough fork to play with the stem height by a spacer or two either way, be a good idea in case my flexibility changes a bit over the years to come.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The longest steerer allowed is 90mm longer than the head tube, so in that case the 75mm insert doesn't even reach the stack/reach point. So your understanding is correct: the stem should always clamp on the insert under the carbon.

and

Quote:
To cut a fork, don't remove the sleeve. Tap the nut down to its final position, then cut the fork steerer with sleeve in place.

both from the same trusted forum persona
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 8, 19 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You don't want it glued in.

terrible advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. So is the consensus best to get it cut to just over the right size to allow for flexibility in position and the have the insert glued into place for added security and warranty.

I really appreciate all of your opinions as I’m new to TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't want it glued in now.

Better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You don't want it glued in now.

Better?

Clear as mud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tripsteve,
You can choose to use an expander plug if you wish, but we definitely recommend gluing in the insert. It adds strength to the steer tube which is always good. You can trim the sleeve as long as you leave enough height for the stem clamping area, typically 40mm or so. As a previous poster stated, simply tap the starnut down below the cut line.

Enjoy your P3.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 help [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, thank you everyone for your help! Brilliant forum too, with lots of people keen to help each other.
Quote Reply