Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3X too responsive?
Quote | Reply
I'm a long time triathlete, but I'm just now on my second bike. I spent about 18 years on a Cervelo P2k. It was a great bike. It handled like an aircraft carrier, and that never bothered me. I didn't notice crosswinds at all. I recently bought a P3X and I'm finding that it is very sensitive. The P3X is like a formula 1 car, strong cross winds have me nervous and getting out of the aerobars frequently.

I'm hoping you guys with more bike experience can help me figure out why it is so twitchy. I'm wondering if I got the wrong frame size. I bought a medium frame, but I would fit in a large frame as well. Is this the reason for the bike being overly-sensitive, or is there a frame geometry change that explains it?

Here are my numbers from a well respected fitter:
Arm Pad Reach (mm): 439
Arm Pad Stack (mm): 663
Saddle Ht (mm): 804

Last edited by: tomljones3: Jul 3, 20 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I'm a long time triathlete, but I'm just now on my second bike. I spent about 18 years on a Cervelo P2k. It was a great bike. It handled like an aircraft carrier, and that never bothered me. I didn't notice crosswinds at all. I recently bought a P3X and I'm finding that it is very sensitive. The P3X is like a formula 1 car, strong cross winds have me nervous and getting out of the aerobars frequently.

I'm hoping you guys with more bike experience can help me figure out why it is so twitchy. I'm wondering if I got the wrong frame size. I bought a medium frame, but I would fit in a large frame as well. Is this the reason for the bike being overly-sensitive, or is there a frame geometry change that explains it?

pad reach measure to where? center or back? otherwise, i'd say with a saddle height of 804mm, i don't know why you'd think size M.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 3, 20 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
pad reach measure to where? center or back? otherwise, i'd say with a saddle height of 804mm, i don't know why you'd think size M.

Pad reach was measured from the BB to back of pad.

I got a medium because I fell within Cervelo's size range for a medium.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

you're about 480mm to back of pad. i don't believe you wrote anything about your morphology, but i'm guessing you'd be about 6'1" and fairly leggy (slightly longer legs than torso). yes, you could ride an M. but you fall into cervelo's size range for both an M and an L. you're at the very top of the size range for an M, which means your center of mass is quite high as a function of the wheelbase of that bike.

the size L has a stack/reach of 524mm/423mm, as i recall. something like that. you're down under 500mm for the stack on the M, and 404mm. the front/center on the M is really short, like 587mm or something like that. that's fine, but not for somebody who's saddle is more than 80cm away from the BB.

i hate to say it, but i really do think you got a size too small.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I suspected as much. I am 6'1" as you surmised and I should have known that I don't fit a medium anything.

For the record, the problem is not the Cervelo P3X, it is a great bike. I should have done more research before buying the medium. In fact, the medium is ride-able for me, just not the perfection I was hoping for. If I had a roadie background it might not even bother me. Sadly, I have the bike handling skills of the average triathlete.

I think LOML is about to get a bike upgrade to a size medium P3X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
part of that could be the front wheel. How deep is it. When it stalls in cross winds you're going to get a twitchy front end.

Now if you're in the market to sell it, lmk. It's one of maybe 6, maybe, bikes I'd ride if I ever ditch my Plasma 3

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
part of that could be the front wheel. How deep is it. When it stalls in cross winds you're going to get a twitchy front end.

Now if you're in the market to sell it, lmk. It's one of maybe 6, maybe, bikes I'd ride if I ever ditch my Plasma 3

Sadly, it is not the front wheel. I switched from my 60mm front back to the stock wheels and it did not make much difference. It is even too responsive when there is no wind. I think the problem is as described above, the center of gravity is too far forward and too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5’10” and have a large. Loving it. Handles much better than my 54 P5. I was between sizes and went with the large. I would try to find someone who bought a size too big and try to swap or by a frameset if you can find someone. There are also the occasional deals to be had on new bikes if you find the right shop who is ready to move inventory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and ride a medium pretty much in everything so I wouldn't have thought it would be overly small. I have ridden Dimonds for the last 6 years and the P3X is pretty similar frame so maybe the extra side surface area especially with frame attachments is what has you nervous. I just upgraded to the Dimond Mogul that has more side area much like the P5X and I certainly notice strong side winds a bit more.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 3, 20 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm 6' and ride a medium pretty much in everything so I wouldn't have thought it would be overly small. I have ridden Dimonds for the last 6 years and the P3X is pretty similar frame so maybe the extra side surface area especially with frame attachments is what has you nervous. I just upgraded to the Dimond Marquise that has more side area much like the P5X and I certainly notice strong side winds a bit more.

I’m sure that the extra surface area has something to do with it. Especially since using the stock front wheel does not make much difference compared to using a 60 mm wheel.

I have been riding it for eight months So it is nothing terribly wrong with it. I had assumed that when I first got the bike that it was just the feel of a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm 6' and ride a medium pretty much in everything so I wouldn't have thought it would be overly small. I have ridden Dimonds for the last 6 years and the P3X is pretty similar frame so maybe the extra side surface area especially with frame attachments is what has you nervous. I just upgraded to the Dimond Mogul that has more side area much like the P5X and I certainly notice strong side winds a bit more.

Pretty sure a medium dimond is sized more like a large in other frames, including the Cervelo P3X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
tomljones3 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

you're about 480mm to back of pad. i don't believe you wrote anything about your morphology, but i'm guessing you'd be about 6'1" and fairly leggy (slightly longer legs than torso). yes, you could ride an M. but you fall into cervelo's size range for both an M and an L. you're at the very top of the size range for an M, which means your center of mass is quite high as a function of the wheelbase of that bike.

the size L has a stack/reach of 524mm/423mm, as i recall. something like that. you're down under 500mm for the stack on the M, and 404mm. the front/center on the M is really short, like 587mm or something like that. that's fine, but not for somebody who's saddle is more than 80cm away from the BB.

Hi Slowman,

sorry to hijack the thread - I am pondering over the same question ...

Arm Pad Stack 680-690mm (depending on distance and not getting any younger)
Arm Pad Reach 450mm (BB to back of pad)
Saddle Height 820mm (from BB, 175mm cranks)

I was contemplating buying L, but the sales guy from a reputable dealer (and being a Cat 1 cyclist himself) is 95% sure the XL would be the way to go. I am ~1.92m tall (6 foot 3), long legs, short torso. Both look feasible from the Cervelo site with my measurements being towards the low end of the XL spectrum. I am currently riding a 2006 P3C in 58cm with a medium Zipp Vuka Stealth in a fairly backward set-up.

I could return and change the P3X, but obviously would prefer to get it right first time.

May I ask for your opinion on the right size?
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Jul 23, 20 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

i've got one i'll sell you
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Slowman wrote:
tomljones3 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Hi Slowman,

I was contemplating buying L, but the sales guy from a reputable dealer (and being a Cat 1 cyclist himself) is 95% sure the XL would be the way to go. I am ~1.92m tall (6 foot 3), long legs, short torso. Both look feasible from the Cervelo site with my measurements being towards the low end of the XL spectrum. I am currently riding a 2006 P3C in 58cm with a medium Zipp Vuka Stealth in a fairly backward set-up.

I could return and change the P3X, but obviously would prefer to get it right first time.

first off, we have a thread just for this. it's curated by ericmpro, he's very good at this. these curated bike fit threads are run by some of the very best fitters i know, there's one for canyon, one for quintana roo, one for cervelo. for anybody who has this question, you can't go wrong by asking on these threads. that said...

i would probably do the XL. you're way high for an L. i'd like to see you have some wheelbase underneath you if your center of mass is going to be that high off the ground. there's nothing you can do about that height. you can't shrink yourself.

however, let me add this. the L is perfect for you lengthwise, the XL heightwise. this is because you're long in leg, short in torso. this is typical of someone with your morphology. you have exactly the same height and saddle height as jordan rapp, and he would ride and L. but he doesn't have the bars as high as you. i don't know, i'd have to math it out and i haven't had my coffee this morning, but i would guess if you sat one end of a level on the saddle, and hovered the other end over an armrest, the elevation difference on your setup is probably something like 13cm? if you pushed the saddle forward a couple of cms and dropped down to, say, 15cm of armrest elevation, you'd have a nice aero position and the length of the XL would be pretty good for you.

but i don't like to fit people over the internet, esp if i haven't even seen your position. and, while this is the position i would've ridden a couple of decades ago, it's hard for me to ride that now unless i get some sort of surgery that reverses the impingement in my neck that keeps me from looking forward. if you have that same issue, then i can't recommend you adopt a position that i can't adopt. and, my math might be off anyway.

you're on the bubble. you could go either way. you probably wouldn't make a mistake either way. but i like the XL for you, and i like the possibility of a little more forward and a little lower, provisionally, but i would like to SEE the position first before i stick my flag in the ground on that recommendation.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Slowman wrote:
tomljones3 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Hi Slowman,

there's a thread just for this question!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=cervelo#p6893963

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:

There is a thread just for this!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=cervelo#p6893963

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody is monitoring the Quintana Roo fit thread
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3X too responsive? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj, I am so sorry. I was oddly curious of the radio silence and now see my settings got tweaked some how and all responses were culled into my span folder. I'm back with a new doubled down dedication. I'm here - or really over that, at that other thread, for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Many thanks ... more than I would have hoped for even after the morning coffee. Will continue on the fit thread.
Quote Reply