Prev Next
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an elegant solution to a real problem. Why would you want to hide things under your seat, tape them to saddle rails, etc. when there are better options on the market?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go ahead and hop off your high horse dude, for IMLP last year i had a bta bottle, bento and single bottle cage zip tied to my seat with the flat repair kit attached that with 2 XLab straps. Walking the transition area it was pretty minimal.
I'm looking for something better and more secure, more easily removed & re-installed between races and training.

Second, I'm not a fan of the gels on offer on IMLP course having thrown up twice on the run last year, and am trying to get as many Huma gels and picky bars on my bike as I can for a 5.5 hour ride. There's not a bento out there that can accommodate that. If I decide to run my tubular 808's then we're talking a spare tire, or at least a can of CaffeLatex.

Having spent $4K, I'd like a better option than zip tying things to my seat.I'd like a cleaner more secure set up than the one I proudly cobbled together. like the ones that come STANDARD from other brands that don't lead the Kona bike count.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [brosenhammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only on Slowtwitch do people think homemade solutions are better than a properly designed piece of a bike. Yeah I spent $4000 on my bike but it has duck tape and zip ties! It's better!

Seriously? Companies should not get a free pass for not figuring out how to make bikes work for triathletes. Cervelo admitted in a P5-X design video their engineers had never been to a triathlon before designing the P5-X. That's a huge problem when your engineers don't understand their target market.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Cervelo admitted in a P5-X design video their engineers had never been to a triathlon before designing the P5-X. That's a huge problem when your engineers don't understand their target market.

Wow, really? Got a link to that video ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are saying that not having it is a dealbreaker, i.e. you wouldn't consider a bike without all of this extra storage. Like this is a REALLY IMPORTANT THING. I don't think it is all that big of a deal. If its an option, great, but there are about 50 things that are higher on the priority list.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been considering designing a mount for a draft box similar to this but instead of going around the seat post it would replace the seat post clamp piece on my P3C. I would 3D print a few to confirm shape and then order it in aluminum from a CNC shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I really? Did I not say that I love everything else about the P3?

The harsh reality is that a big part of Ironman racing is nutrition and making sure you can fix a bike mishap like a flat. These are not ancillary, random concerns, they cut to the core of success in IM. So yes, not being set up to run strong off the bike due to a lack of the right nutrition, or not running at all b/c I couldn’t carry a spare tubular is a deal breaker. Cervelo trails the other big brands in this regard.

Why be on this thread if you don’t share the concern?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Cervelo admitted in a P5-X design video their engineers had never been to a triathlon before designing the P5-X. That's a huge problem when your engineers don't understand their target market.

Wow, really? Got a link to that video ?

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

My bad! They said most of their engineers had never been to an Ironman event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Name those 50 things BTW, I’m really curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:
I have been considering designing a mount for a draft box similar to this but instead of going around the seat post it would replace the seat post clamp piece on my P3C. I would 3D print a few to confirm shape and then order it in aluminum from a CNC shop.

Sticking it behind the saddle seem's to offer the best opportunity to make it aero-positive.

For short course, something like a tri-rig beta with an x-lab aero pouch attached (but without the need for a bottle cage, so you've got a pretty decent sized bag).

Long course, as above but mounting a mini-bag on the middle of the beta (with a bottle cage on each side)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [brosenhammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2

vs

Cables all over the place on the P2 and no storage vs the clean looking Felt...

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

Sticking it behind the saddle seem's to offer the best opportunity to make it aero-positive.

For short course, something like a tri-rig beta with an x-lab aero pouch attached (but without the need for a bottle cage, so you've got a pretty decent sized bag).

Yeah, I'm a little surprised nobody's done this yet. There are plenty of triathlon/tt saddles that have standard or optional rear bottle cage fixing points, as well as aftermarket solutions (like the beta) for saddles that don't come that way from the factory. I don't need a rear bottle for short course, but I'd sure like to be able to put a flat kit back there in some sort of case, hard- or soft-sided.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 13, 18 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised nobody's done this yet. There are plenty of triathlon/tt saddles that have standard or optional rear bottle cage fixing points, as well as aftermarket solutions (like the beta) for saddles that don't come that way from the factory. I don't need a rear bottle for short course, but I'd sure like to be able to put a flat kit back there in some sort of case, hard- or soft-sided.

Sounds like you guys are re-inventing this thing called a "saddle bag" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've considered drilling holes in an old saddle bag so I could mount it on the beta.

I just don't like it hanging on the back of a seatpost.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Seyseys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want one!!!

P5 58cm

Seyseys wrote:
I am currently in the process of designing a custom fitted storage box for the new P2 and P3 frames. I used all 3 of the screws to help secure it, and I think the bottom screw is invaluable. Once everything is done up tight it doesn't move. That's with the weight of a few C02 cylinders, 2 tubes, minitool and some other puncture related equipment inside too.
Attached are some pics of my work in process, I can only realistically make this using 3D printing, as the internal design is quite unique. I've used 3D printing a lot so I'm confident it'll work.
Currently it's just to put on my own bike, but if others need it I may make a few.

Phillip

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was limited by the bounding box of the printer. I've since figured out that I can print the part at an angle and therefore can have the bottom match the wheel contour.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Mar 13, 18 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting an aluminum box CNCd cannot be cheap? What would be the cost?

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great, what will be the material for the final print ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yannb wrote:
I was limited by the bounding box of the printer. I've since figured out that I can print the part at an angle and therefore can have the bottom match the wheel contour.

Very cool! Bravo sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I mean I would just make bosses to mount a stock box from another manufacturer

edit: spelling
Last edited by: D4vid: Mar 14, 18 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:

This is great idea for the P5. But unfortunately it won't work for the n.P2 or n.P3 ... as they have a completely different seat clamp mechs.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you be open to sharing the CAD file?

Perhaps Damon could chime in on the prospects of placing a frame boss under the seat clamp.

I was also waiting on a solution, if nothing happens I will dust off my SolidWork's chops and take a shot at it myself and share the code. I think things like this are best to be solved by an open source approach via a forum like ST.

I have no issues for folks not wanted to go this route and want some return on their work, I just think a community effort will generate the best overall solution. There are a lot of creative folks out there with these bikes;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any news on this front? Sorry to dig this up! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess no need to be sorry - the P-Series is too popular and everyone potentially has interest in such a solution. I guess this topic will pop up regularly in the future =)

I was planning on ordering the drag2zero box they are making for the scott plasma 5 next week- does anyone have experience with how that fits on Cervelo P5? I trust ill have to do lots of work with a Dremel and/or Resin to make it fit well, but maybe that's a start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next