Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Ft Worth Cycling off of Cherry Lane in Ft Worth. Ask for Jason if you go in for maintenance and James if you go in to buy something. Both are great guys, and FYI they like Miller Lite and Mt Dew ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [billhardin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checked before installing, but thanks for looking out!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See above post, just commented on another one about it.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks! I just bought a couple 29ers in there the other day. Glad to hear because I didn't know how much they knew about tri so ive been going all the way to plano or Richardson.
Last edited by: cbump: May 12, 14 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [power1369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2.. I had read something somewhere that the internal battery doesn't fit in the Cervelo seat post. The upgrade possibilities are never-ending
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah someone from cervelo was shocked when I said I had mine in there. Rumor has it you can get it up above the bottom bracket as well, the bigger one.......Can't confirm that as I haven't seen it. I will say there isn't a mount or anything other than force and foam securing it.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Over the top of steer tube cap. No drilling. Housing all the way through. Routed from rear to front.

Routed from rear to front? Are you saying that you fed the housing into the frame from the rear frame hole? If so, how did you feed the housing UP the small port hole in the nose?

**Edit**
I just realized that in the Let's see your ride! thread that you wrote the routing was done with the fork out.
Fortunately, old skills to get into the locked family station wagon with a wire coat hanger came in handy! I managed to feed a coat hanger from the front frame hole, up the port hole, then tape some string to it and pull the end back again. :)

However, did you widen the hole in the rear plastic insert in order for the housing to be one continuous length from front to back? Normally the insert acts as a housing stop.

/Howie Nordström
Last edited by: lllusion: May 12, 14 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
... There is some foam stuffed in there as well to keep it tight fitting. It has yet to fall out from hitting a big bump or from crappy Texas chip seal.
I taped a piece of inner-tube to my battery and it sits in the seat post quite firmly.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used the hydraulic hole cover that they have. Then it routes right through. Glad you got it through there! And I guess you could dremmel/drill it out.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
I have the same bento box. Did you make a hole in the front for the Di2 cables or run them in the front at the zipper?

Suggestion: if you need to make a hole in a Speedpack's rubberized bottom, you can make it with a sharp awl (or in a pinch, a large sewing needle; then you can slowly enlarge it with a very small phillips screwdriver). The hole does not need to be big, ideally it should be somewhat smaller than what you're going to put through it, then the fit around your wire or screw will be nice and snug. If you need to make a hole in a Speedpack's nylon panel, we suggest marking the hole location first and then using a very hot unfolded paperclip end (end heated by a match). Again, take care to not make the hole too big.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Power1369 said, thanks for the pic of the battery and description of how you did it. I've been searching for dimensions and meaning to pull the seat post out of my wife's NP2 to see if the internal battery would fit. Thanks. Now I can get the ugly battery off her downtube!

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Used the hydraulic hole cover that they have. Then it routes right through. Glad you got it through there! And I guess you could dremmel/drill it out.
Last question--hopefully, what cover did you use for the front frame hole? It looks to be perfectly symmetrical and not a standard (brake housing) cover.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mind disclosing the total $ estimate for this budget build?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
afbadbrad wrote:
Last question--hopefully, what cover did you use for the front frame hole? It looks to be perfectly symmetrical and not a standard (brake housing) cover.

The bike shop had it, not sure what it came off of. And no cover was used where the cables enter on the top tube, but you can see that in the picture.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winchester-

I am going to give you what I remember, but some things I will give you ball park figures on.

Frame- MSRP is $3000, I paid a bit less
Gruppo- (FD,RD,all electronics and wiring,)- $1,100
Bars- Confidential, rumor is you can get them MSRP for $1400??

I had everything else already.

I use the term "budget" build because for the amount of money that was spent on this, I think I got a really good bike. Now if I was really strapped for cash and couldn't afford the P3 I would have done the same thing with the P2..........

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not like the internal battery has to be used in the seat post (surprised this is a revelation for some on the thread - googles your friend). I've got it mounted in the seat tube of my S5. But it can also be stuffed into the down tube via the BB. Just be sure to zip tie/bubble wrap/foam all around it so its secure/not bouncing around.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completed a similar project about ten days ago. One key difference is my frame is a 1999 or 2000 (not quite sure which) P3. All the rest was stuff I already had. Well, had to buy the Di2 bar end shifters since I took the Di2 9070 off of a road bike. Also bought the internal seat tube battery. It was remarkable how easy and clean it was to internalize almost all of the Di2 wires on this old frame.

Very fast and fun little 650c bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice build -- some fresh air to an older bike. Did you have to modify the frame at all? Any tips that you might find helpful for someone trying this out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 is what I have. Plan on training on it stock for a while then posting about a month or two out from my 70.3 asking for tips on making it more aero. I have cables all over the place.
Think the FW cycling guy can help?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo NP3 "Super Bike" on a "budget" [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I go in there a lot and was really specific with what I wanted. I am sure if you know what you want and are willing to pay they will do it. I was really particular and told them exactly how I wanted it. If you just walk in there and say I want this more aero, I don't know if that would go over well. But they are really familiar with Cervelo, and Jason knows the new frames really well now.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
lllusion wrote:
And no cover was used where the cables enter on the top tube, but you can see that in the picture.
What was the reason for not using that cover? Was it to allow easier movement of the brake cable?

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Arduo bar I don't think you can use one. I looked at the P5 and there is no cover there. So if you don't have the Arduo maybe you can still use it? The Arduo goes over that area and the cables route right in.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Brad,

Exactly right. With the Aduro bar, DO NOT use the top tube cable keeper: it limits steering and will damage cables and/or hydraulic lines, either of which could cause a crash. The reason is the Aduro's tail binds when steering left or right.

With a normal stem (without the Aduro bar's tail), you can use the cable keeper if you like. It's only cosmetic, so strictly optional.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet ride! I'm glad you used quotations to describe budget.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
With the Arduo bar I don't think you can use one. I looked at the P5 and there is no cover there. So if you don't have the Arduo maybe you can still use it? The Arduo goes over that area and the cables route right in.
damon_rinard wrote:
Exactly right. With the Aduro bar, DO NOT use the top tube cable keeper: it limits steering and will damage cables and/or hydraulic lines, either of which could cause a crash. The reason is the Aduro's tail binds when steering left or right.

With a normal stem (without the Aduro bar's tail), you can use the cable keeper if you like. It's only cosmetic, so strictly optional.
Thanks Brad & Damon. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.
I have the TriRig Sigma stem and Alpha bars so the cover should be ok.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply

Prev Next