Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ceramic Speed oversized pulley
Quote | Reply
Just started looking at these as an option, and was shocked at how expensive they are. Are they worth the price? Is it a noticable upgrade? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Worth the price" is VERY relative

But Yes; If you have look at everything else (helmet, skinsuit, tire, tire pressure, wheels, clean chain, transition time, position, etc.) and you think $500 for 1-2 min on an IM is good value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having owned a Ceramic Speed cage I wouldn't buy one for the price. The cage is actually made out of some kind of plastic not carbon and it shattered on me. I would source one of the other brands out there with a aluminium or carbon cage. Minimal gains so depends if you have the $$$...
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
1-2 min on an IM is good value.

That's a pretty optimistic prediction, probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't give it even a moment's consideration personally. Immediate no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an oversized pulley system with really nice bearings that I bought for less than $100. I don't know that it really makes a big difference but no way would I buy a Ceramicspeed pulley as the gains at best are minimal from what I've gathered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Premier Bike OSPS. This post reminds me that I need to install it. I believe they are an improvement over standard pulleys, but there is probably little to no additional incremental value of a Ceramic Speed over many of the other options.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here, Ceramic Speed coated bearing pulleys and Premier chain....need to install.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy SLF Motion instead https://slf-motion.myshopify.com/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything about the aerodynamic drag of the oversized pulley? Even if you save 1-2w from friction, having it -1-2w as an aero penalty really defeats the purpose of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have started selling the ceramic wheels that are direct fit on Shimano cages. They are super easy to install, no flexing of the long cages, no long cage hanging down in the wind and cost less.

We found that some athletes were having trouble installing the full cage.

I think the wheels are a good compromise between performance, aero drag and cost.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
benleg wrote:
1-2 min on an IM is good value.

That's a pretty optimistic prediction, probably.

Very optimistic indeed. What you get in friction reduction you will lose back in aerodynamic drag from the larger pulley wheels and longer derailleur cage. The faster you travel, the more watts you will give up to aero drag since friction is linear but air resistance is quadratic. I'm very interested to find out where the cross over point is.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan,

Would the wheels fit with Ultegra 6800?
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Tweeks07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do not. The wheels fit DA-91xx, UL-R80xx and R70xx series.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it's worth $500 to gain a fraction of a watt. I also think a stack of $100 bills creates a good spacer for my TT bars. On a serious note, I've thought about, but then I imagine the hypothetical conversation with my wife, and I think better of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I also think a stack of $100 bills creates a good spacer for my TT bars.
They don't have the optimal shape or rigidity for headset spacers. You're supposed to use them as tire boots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told by pretty solid source that the ceramic bottom bracket is a far better use of your $$. A former world class rider, he says he can feel the difference. If I HAD the money, I'd put it there first and have less issues as well.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jun 19, 19 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I've been told by pretty solid source that the ceramic botox bracket is a far better use of your $$
Haha... this is probably an autocorrect result. But it adds so much to this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
I've been told by pretty solid source that the ceramic botox bracket is a far better use of your $$
Haha... this is probably an autocorrect result. But it adds so much to this thread.
haha! So true and I guess a very valid autocorrect!
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I've been told by pretty solid source that the ceramic bottom bracket is a far better use of your $$. A former world class rider, he says he can feel the difference. If I HAD the money, I'd put it there first and have less issues as well.
Even that is very minimal gains and I get sick of the rate you have to change out a ceramic bottom bracket compared to a steel one. A bearing is designed to reduce friction even steel ones so yes a ceramic one may be marginally better but yes it's marginal gains v cost. I do laugh at people getting caught up on the aero properties of a oversized cage though but that is slowtwitch for you...
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would do the BB first. I swapped out a steel BB for Sram Black Box, then my cycling instantly improved. For the first time, I had faster splits than guys I had no right beating, with no more training. It was a huge difference, so I'm not buying that gains are "marginal" with the BB, it's significant.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jun 19, 19 18:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Wood "carbonyte" bearings are just as fast as ceramic and they are steel.
Quote Reply
Re: Ceramic Speed oversized pulley [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You be the judge...

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/friction-facts-measuring-bottom-bracket-drag/

If you like spending the money then you go for it. I went back to steel based on I found no difference, they last a lot longer and they are a lot cheaper...
Quote Reply

Prev Next