Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cell phones in the locker room?
Quote | Reply
When is it acceptable to show/use a cell phone in the locker room. In one week, I have twice seen guys sitting in the locker room scrolling around on their phones. Naked guys moving to and fro. The official stance of the gym does not allow "recording devices" in the locker room. I don't think the guys are trying to be perverted in any way. But it definitely makes me uncomfortable. Is it just being rude? Am I too uptight?
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my wife is texting me and I'm in the locker room, I answer her text. If I want to show a picture of my cute kids to one of my friends, I'll show them. But I'm not "scrolling around" either, and I don't turn the camera on. I'd rather get home than hang out in the locker room anyway.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Have you ever been in a cockpit before? Ever seen a grown man naked? Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
"Have you ever been in a cockpit before? Ever seen a grown man naked? Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur

Have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison?
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, I think some folks are a little too comfortable in the birthday suit.

Hang your towel over the shower rod/curtain, dry off and around the waist and to your locker. It's amateur hour if you can't put on boxers under your towel sarong. If you can't/don't, then don't walk all over the damn place getting towels and items and talking to people while your dong is hanging out.

Any self respecting road cyclist can do the towel/sarong change-job in a parking lot and never achieve anything or offend anyone worthy of a ticket from a cop.

You don't have to be ashamed, but at the same time it's a bit silly for endless dong-city in locker rooms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

Do you like gladiator movies?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insert obligatory “old men in the locker room” comic here.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 11, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
4Ring wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

Randy: Excuse me sir, there's been a little problem in the cockpit…
Striker: The cockpit…what is it?
Randy: It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Mar 11, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Hang your towel over the shower rod

If they can hang their towel over their shower rod, I might be concerned. Oh... Maybe that wasn't a euphemism.

I don't think twice about seeing someone on the phone, but if they start holding it out like they're filming, I might get pissy.

But as to being naked, it's a locker room, it's OK to be naked there. No need to do a deck change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't even have towel rods . . . just the old fashion group showers, and yes guys bring phones in the shower. I guarantee you that I am just as busy and just as important (at least in my own mind) as them and I have NEVER taken my phone into the locker room. Twice in the last week guys were facetiming from the locker room - they seemed shocked and put off when folks told them to put it (the phone) away. Personally, I think it absurd to take your phone in there. Plenty of weirdos there and how do you sort out who is who?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my most "WTF" moments while working at Life Time Fitness was to stop someone from filming the locker room. She had her cell phone out and was filming a panorama shot of how beautiful the cherry wood and granite was, "better than her apartment!" I quickly stopped her, reminding her that filming naked children is illegal, that she had nobody's consent, and that signs were posted to of this fact approximately every 5 feet in the room.

She slunk off without apologizing for her lack of judgement, hopefully never to return.

So, to answer your question, you are not alone and since people can Facetime anyplace, I am now quite uncomfortable in locker rooms. My wish is for someone to write blocking software that disables phones and especially their camera features inside places that are supposed to be private. I imagine cell coverage and wifi access is poor in these areas for this reason as well. Get in, get out, and get on with your life elsewhere.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever have to pull my phone out, I just make sure to keep it pointed down so no one gets the wrong idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
One of my most "WTF" moments while working at Life Time Fitness was to stop someone from filming the locker room. She had her cell phone out and was filming a panorama shot of how beautiful the cherry wood and granite was, "better than her apartment!" I quickly stopped her, reminding her that filming naked children is illegal, that she had nobody's consent, and that signs were posted to of this fact approximately every 5 feet in the room.

She slunk off without apologizing for her lack of judgement, hopefully never to return.

So, to answer your question, you are not alone and since people can Facetime anyplace, I am now quite uncomfortable in locker rooms. My wish is for someone to write blocking software that disables phones and especially their camera features inside places that are supposed to be private. I imagine cell coverage and wifi access is poor in these areas for this reason as well. Get in, get out, and get on with your life elsewhere.

They have already developed blocking software, it's called 'the towel'. Pretty much impervious to all forms of hacking and spyware...
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cellphone jammers would do the trick nicely but are unfortunately illegal. I would like to see them in gyms, movie theaters, and fine arts theaters. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont have any problems with guys walking from the shower to the locker without a towel.

While my gym has a sign up that says no cell phones, guy are texting all the time, even in the Sauna, I dont really have a problem with that either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are signs in our change room that say no cameras or cell phones. I have called people out on it. Invariably their reply is they are not "that guy" who would take somebody's picture. My reply is I don't know what "that guy" looks like.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the acceptable time to be using a cell phone in the locker room is NEVER.
Way offside IMO for anyone to be using a cell phone in changing room.
You might not care about your privacy but others might.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Cellphone jammers would do the trick nicely but are unfortunately illegal. I would like to see them in gyms, movie theaters, and fine arts theaters. Oh well.

Not sure if true but read a story where a guy had a heart attack in the stall at work and had tried to call 911 multiple times. Company had jammers to block phone usage in the bathroom and he died. There is a reason cell jammers are very illegal.

Edit: they would also only block transmission not the use of the phone as a recording device which is the actual issue.
Last edited by: ntc: Mar 11, 19 15:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't care less. If you want to record me, whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. NYSC and the local college both have big warning signs, plus the college has several signs on the pool deck. The pool deck has an exception for coaches but they can only film their athletes. I've used my GoPro to film me and my wife and all I did was let the lifeguard know what we were doing. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a phone in the locker room, other than to check it on the wat out.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in the locker room? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Couldn't care less. If you want to record me, whatever.

That is my personal philosophy, but I understand why others might differ.

Two things-

Deck changing in the locker room is asinine. While shaving your balls in the sink is a bridge to far, the whole point of a non coed locker room is to be able to free yourself while dressing.

Phones area no go. On the rare occasion I get to my locker and think I need to check out a text, or email, phone stays inside the locker while I briefly skim the message. More than that and it waits until I get outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my gym has a tv in the locker room. that's just inviting people to spend way more time in the locker room than is necessary. I come in, change, head to the pool. come out of the pool, shower, change, then leave. I don't get why people are loitering around in there. After I change, I have my phone and am typically checking messages as I'm walking out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I dunno, I think some folks are a little too comfortable in the birthday suit.

Hang your towel over the shower rod/curtain, dry off and around the waist and to your locker. It's amateur hour if you can't put on boxers under your towel sarong. If you can't/don't, then don't walk all over the damn place getting towels and items and talking to people while your dong is hanging out.

Any self respecting road cyclist can do the towel/sarong change-job in a parking lot and never achieve anything or offend anyone worthy of a ticket from a cop.

You don't have to be ashamed, but at the same time it's a bit silly for endless dong-city in locker rooms.

*knock knock* "Who's there?" "It is me! The 50's"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On occasion I've seen people using their phones in a locker room. If I can see the camera lens then I'll say something. A simple, "hey man, please don't point that camera at me" usually suffices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next