Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation
Quote | Reply
Two new kittens seem inordinately interested in my stuff--much more than the dozens of cat toys, scratching post, etc.

They eat my running shoe laces. They like to knock my speedo off the drying rack and drag it around the house. And now, the little plastic component of my Garmin heart rate monitor went missing from the table next to my trainer. I'm certain it's resting under some piece of crap in my large, dirty, poorly-lit basement.

Help!
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A German Shephard might eliminate the issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Release mice in your house. Cats will lose interest in your stuff quickly.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago, I had a cat that loved eating rubber and plastic, such as rubber bands and 6-pack retainers. But his favorite was goggle straps. Its possible your missing Garmin piece isn't under some piece of crap in the basement, but inside a piece of crap in the litter box...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they are attracted to your smell because you are the leader of the pack. Maybe they are trying to rub their smell over yours. But seems you are the common link and seems like a smell thing. Maybe find something lavender or citrus (which apparently cats don't like) that you can spray on stuff or find an in wash scent they don't like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't you keep your tri gear in a room/closet and keep the door shut? Hang your speedo in a place the cats can't get to it?

Never had a cat so I have no clue about training them, they seem untrainable aside from a litter box.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Mar 4, 21 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cats aren't even kittens and I routinely (at least 2-3 times per week) find my swimsuit and towel on the floor. I think my one cat likes to do it just to be a menace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a big black labrador that can help with your situation.
Reasonable hourly rates.
He'll clean up any cat food left behind in bowls too at no extra fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are jealous and want to be involved. Bring them swimming with you next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Release mice in your house. Cats will lose interest in your stuff quickly.
Haha. Friend of mine found out they had mice in the attic when all three of their cats perked up simultaneously faced the same spot on the ceiling and then jumped up to the top of a bookshelf and continued looking at that same spot on the ceiling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kittens are simply trying to drive you mad before they grow up and murder you

If my cat were to write a memoir ---

"Chapter One

I had always intended to murder my humans in their sleep. There was no question of that. It sounds so disloyal, so treacherous, after all they had done for me. But, to be fair, they never fully grasped the intricacies of the feline mind; the superior intellect of a fierce and massive jungle predator, concentrated into a compact eight-pound package.

Should they have died for their errors?

Sure.

Why not?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The kittens are simply trying to drive you mad before they grow up and murder you

If my cat were to write a memoir ---

"Chapter One

I had always intended to murder my humans in their sleep. There was no question of that. It sounds so disloyal, so treacherous, after all they had done for me. But, to be fair, they never fully grasped the intricacies of the feline mind; the superior intellect of a fierce and massive jungle predator, concentrated into a compact eight-pound package.

Should they have died for their errors?

Sure.

Why not?"

Did I ever tell you about the time my cat slit my throat in my sleep?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of suggestions - I've had many cats and we currently also have 3 dogs (1 of which is still a puppy).

1. Think of the kittens as kids and deliberately child-proof the house (if you haven't already done much of that). It's a bit of a pain to do and maintain, but as you're learning, so is buying new stuff because the old stuff is broken or lost.

2. One of our 2 current cats really likes catnip and gravitates towards those items that have it rubbed on them, even if he doesn't have much of an interest in those items without the catnip.

3. Baby gates to control access to parts of the house. These have worked really well for us in keeping pets out of areas (e.g., dogs only have limited access to the bedroom).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive found success with swift head slaps and aggressive tones of voice in cats, dogs and little humans

Seriously, its called discipline...dont hurt them but make it clear that what they did is wrong

If you baby them and work around the problem, theyll keep doing it and continue to do other bad things. They will always come back to love you

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew I had mice when every day I started finding tiny little thigh bones, tails, or the occasional head left in my office (normally she ate the heads too). Usually all that was left was the tail and a thigh bone or two.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My aussie puppy ate everything I would leave out- shoes, socks, towels, speedo, hr strap, but I finally learned to just keep the pain cave door closed when I walked in on her chewing through my trainer tire. Pets are the best/worst.
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Please, refresh us

Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Please, refresh us

Well, there was this one time... I was sleeping. My cat slit my throat while I was sleeping. I knew what happened because I woke up with a slit throat.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
My aussie puppy ate everything I would leave out- shoes, socks, towels, speedo, hr strap, but I finally learned to just keep the pain cave door closed when I walked in on her chewing through my trainer tire. Pets are the best/worst.

She was simply telling you to ride outside more. Taking her with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadPansy wrote:
Two new kittens seem inordinately interested in my stuff--much more than the dozens of cat toys, scratching post, etc.
Help!
They will grow out of this phase, in like 10-11 years.

Maybe.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
RandMart wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Please, refresh us

Well, there was this one time... I was sleeping. My cat slit my throat while I was sleeping. I knew what happened because I woke up with a slit throat.

Oh yes

Now I remember

You elaborated more, this time

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest thing to worry about is keeping the kitties away from the treadmill when running and bike trainer when riding. I make sure all three cats are upstairs so they don't get hurt. I still have an old Computrainer so I worry they could get injured on the back wheel.

As far as your stuff, just find a place to keep it out of reach of the kitties. They like our smells. One of our cats loves shoes and all the interesting smells. We don't wear them in the house so they are lined up by the door. And he rolls around on them. Loves it!! Also if you have paper bags and boxes from deliveries, that will keep them busy for a couple hours. Cats love boxes more than their toys. I think they are also intrigued by the new smells of the boxes and bags too.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Ladies and Gentleman we have a winner! ^^^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

I dunno...it depends on the cat and German Shepard. Cats can be pretty bold. My year old Maine Coon boy cat would probably bully a German Shepard or any dog for that matter. He's fearless and would put any dog in its place.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Cats Ruining Ironman Preparation [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

I dunno...it depends on the cat and German Shepard. Cats can be pretty bold. My year old Maine Coon boy cat would probably bully a German Shepard or any dog for that matter. He's fearless and would put any dog in its place.

I had a big tabby (19 lbs) that would charge out and attack any dog that wandered by. Unfortunately that's how he met his end, taken down by 2 pit bulls that had gotten loose from a neighbor's yard...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next