Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Catalina OTILLO Swimrun, come on down!!
Quote | Reply
So less than a couple months out from this local LA race, well local in the sense that as the crow flies, it is just 20 miles offshore on Catalina Island. I finally pulled the trigger and entered the sprint race, the big race is just too much for me at the moment. It really looks like a super fun weekend, and just happens to fall on my once every 4 year leap birthday. I think I have Dan about halfway there too, so a reunion of the part of that first Catalina triathlon crew from 1984.

I looked over the courses and asked the RD lot of questions, so if you are going, or are interested in going, post them up here. I also have some ideas of doing some different things with equipment, and will be doing some tests on different combinations and their speed and impact on the various transitions in this sport. Got a swim run wetsuit coming my way, so this should be fun. The shoes are still up in the air, I know what the best swimming shoe is, but also have to be able to run in it too, so will be working that out in the next weeks.

I was also surprised that you can even do the short races on Saturday without a stay on the island. They have a chartered boat going over in the morning, you race, and it brings you back that afternoon. That's pretty cool if you dont have the time for an extended weekend stay, but of course not as much fun. Gonna make it a family vacation and stay a few nights, weather is usually pretty nice that time of year, early spring stuff..

So who is going, what are your plans, race strategies? Would be fun to hook up with some ST'ers over there, everything in town is walking distance, and the town is conducive for meet and greets.

I think you can still get in all 3 races too, here is the site; https://otilloswimrun.com/races/catalina/
Last edited by: monty: Jan 13, 20 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to enter the saturday race. I don't have any race specific equipment. Was going to get a swim run wetsuit, trail shoes and calf sleeves. The running part of the saturday race is primarily hardpack fireroads? I think you could get by using any lightweight running shoes that won't retain too much water. I'm not using a pull buoy but will use my swim paddles. I have a thermal cap I might wear if needed. Thats my plan for now, my running is so slow I'm not worried about being competitive in this thing.

For the accomodations, I tentatively convinced my friend to take his boat over Friday we will stay in emerald bay which is up west of the isthmus. He has a mooring there and we plan to hoop net for lobster Friday and Saturday night. Weather permitting of course but if my water taxi falls through then I'll just do the charter saturday morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone back and forth, was considering the LC but 1) Feb water temps and 2) December illness/injury threw that off track and 3) never really found a partner. Considering sprint race solo, there and back Saturday or if I can find a Sat only accommodation maybe stay until Sunday. Would love to get in on an inaugural race, doesn't happen often

I've done SOS in New York which is mostly swim run but no wetsuits or buoys or paddles.... ALways used the old Zoot TT, did one training session where I swam in them and it Sucked
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 13, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to get a swim run wetsuit, trail shoes and calf sleeves//

I was thinking about those calf sleeves, do you have a brand in mind? I know some dont like running with a buoy, so they opt for the sleeves. They probably give some nice compression too, just wondering if they slip at all? I like the buoy in the pool, but would like to get one of those monster ones I see the pro guys using, anyone know which one im talking about?

Sounds like a fun weekend, and who doesnt like lobster! Hope to see you on the starting line, I too will be soloing it most likely..
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering sprint race solo, there and back Saturday or if I can find a Sat only accommodation maybe stay until Sunday. Would love to get in on an inaugural race, doesn't happen often //

This was my thinking too when I first heard about this race, I have a lot of history on that island. Hope you can make it, we can talk shit about our pier to pier adventures over a beer! And the water should not be too bad, especially with the shortish swims, wetsuits, and all those runs to warm up in-between. I wish I had done that SOS back in the day, tried once when I was retired from pro racing, but they were full up and I couldnt scare up an entry...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, i've been leaning back toward Desert Tri that weekend, but luring me with beer - and Abergill's free lobster :) - makes it tough...

ETA - do you know if the ferry is the regular service times? And Avalon - TH? Sounds like they had something to /from San Pedro but wouldn't mind going LB to Avalon
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 13, 20 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I can gather, the boat will make a stop at Avalon, then head to TH for the race, and same on way back. I guess this way they can pick up and drop off those of us that are staying the weekend too. And then I believe there will be a shuttle type boat going back and forth from TH to Avalon during Saturday too, for different time departures to get back.

As far as the leaving point, not entirely sure where they boat is blasting off from, I will inquire, but I though it was San Pedro..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the website implies they have a direct A.M. SP to TH and P.M. return.

What kind of wetsuit are you using? Looks like they will rent an Ark suit on site for about $60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered one of the suits from Jonas Colting, figure he was one of the very first to do this sport, before it was a sport, so should have the wetsuit angles figured out by now. Should have it shortly, so will post up a report on what I think here. Renting is always an option too, but I figure if I like this thing, I will be looking for other races in cool locations, so may as well have the gear on hand..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very interested in the race, however it conflicts with a local trail race I wanted to do, so I'm going with the cheaper one this year. I will likely do some recruiting at the Odyssey Austin race later this year to maybe to the World Series distance at Catalina next year.

Good luck!

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have just got the Colting calf sleeves with your wetsuit order. Left lane has some orca calf sleeves for $22 if you fit in the medium which looks to be 34-38cm . The newer versions are getting really thick up to 18mm. Those Orcas are only 10mm. The blue seventy sleeves are only 5-7mm. Let us know how the Colting fits. I have to decide this week. I think I’m going to start swimming with an old pair of shoes soon kinda like a drag suit
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Ă–TILLĂ– Swimrun, come on down!! [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calf sleeves are overrated, and really do not take the place of a nice size buoy. If anything, they are a nuisance running. Which in most SwimRun events you still do more of.

And Monty I fixed your title. It is not OTHILLO it is Ă–tillĂ– or Ă–TILLĂ–
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heidi and I are in for the long course. Google Earth plot of Long Course Looks like it has some climbing. I'm not good at climbing... downhill, I'm fine. Uphill, Heidi's gonna be waiting for me at each summit.
We're both in the classic orange Orca SR suits. No paddles or buoy for me. I found no improvement with paddles and my legs are too bowlegged to hold a buoy proper - I have to cross my legs to hold one in place at the pool, and that's a lot of drag! I can get some useful kicking, even with shoes on. Those shoes will be Hoka EVO Jawz. Heidi will likely wear Skechers. I have the Orca shin floaties... not sold on them yet, but I have time for more trials with them.
You going solo or team? Team is way more fun!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Ă–TILLĂ– Swimrun, come on down!! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive convinced myself the pull buoy would be more of a hassle than the calf sleeves. I’m trying to make my race idiot proof. Not that concerned about being fast though I think Monty is looking for the fastest option.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAMN....watching that video has me rethinking my approach to the training I've been doing (G-U-L-P!).

John Stevens (my teammate for long course race on Sunday) and I have rented a 129 ft, three masted schooner, that will sail from Long Beach out to Catalina. Friday night in Avalon, Saturday night in Two Harbors and we'll take a vote on Sunday night. It sleeps 32 so we'll have a great bunch of folks who have been racing in our Odyssey event series for a few years.

Hope to see more ST'ers out there!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been tested at great length and the buoy (ideally a big one) carried on your back is the way to go.

They had to limit the size of them as folks pushed them bigger and bigger, clearly not seeing it as a hassle.

Join the SwimRun Experience group on FB and we share all kinds of videos, pics, tips and conversations there
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Ă–TILLĂ– Swimrun, come on down!! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. It looks like there is a training camp Jan 25-26. I think I’m going to sign up for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend that- and just to let you know, it has nothing to do with me
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, thanks for that video of the long course, just reaffirms why I'm not doing that one!! I have said it before, this is a legit tough course. Over the years I have raced everything you are allowed to over there, and there is just no easy trails or roads, unless you are doing a track meet. But the sprint race I'm entered in(solo by the way) seems like the most reasonable of the bunch. Looks like they hit all 4 corners of Two Harbors, with a bunch of out and backs, so they can use mostly rolling trails for the running. No surf of course on this one, cant have everything I suppose..

Starting to get really pumped with all the ST;ers coming out, hoping it is like racing in the old days. You know, when we used to just light tires on fire 50 miles away, and say first one there wins...
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Ă–TILLĂ– Swimrun, come on down!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,
A big reason why folks use the paddle / buoy combination, is so they can save their legs for running. It is clearly possible to swim and kick with shoes but why do that if not needed?

And as for testing buoy / paddles versus swimming without, many folks who compare the systems / gadgets do that in the pool in a swim suit and while doing nice flip turns, which aren't as easily done with a big pull buoy. Swimming in open water in a wetsuit, while also wearing a bib, socks and shoes is a very different matter. Plus in the pool, you are not carrying extra gels, a medical kit, a whistle and spare googles / swim cap with you.

And Heidi can't run ahead of you. You need to stay within 10 meters of each other or risk disqualification.

Herbert

HalfSpeed wrote:
Heidi and I are in for the long course. Google Earth plot of Long Course Looks like it has some climbing. I'm not good at climbing... downhill, I'm fine. Uphill, Heidi's gonna be waiting for me at each summit.
We're both in the classic orange Orca SR suits. No paddles or buoy for me. I found no improvement with paddles and my legs are too bowlegged to hold a buoy proper - I have to cross my legs to hold one in place at the pool, and that's a lot of drag! I can get some useful kicking, even with shoes on. Those shoes will be Hoka EVO Jawz. Heidi will likely wear Skechers. I have the Orca shin floaties... not sold on them yet, but I have time for more trials with them.
You going solo or team? Team is way more fun!
Last edited by: Herbert: Jan 13, 20 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re the question of calf sleeves vs pull buoy:

I did Casco Bay a couple times with the pull buoy. By rigging some bungee cords through it, I created an easy way of rotating from between the legs for swimming to the outer hip on the run. It worked fine.

Then I bought a pair of the Orca calf sleeves this past year. They provide comparable flotation, a little extra warmth, and are less noticeable when running. I would recommend that option.

All that said, many elite Swimrun teams still favor the buoys, particularly the torpedo style.

A big part of this sport is figuring what works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTHILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I bought a pair of the Orca calf sleeves this past year. They provide comparable flotation, a little extra warmth, and are less noticeable when running. I would recommend that option. //

Good info, how thick were your sleeves, any trouble with them staying put? I have a couple ideas on speeding some things up, but the sleeve thing may have other upsides. I want to try them just running and see if it is something that helps support the lower leg, a very important area on us old men. OF course warmth is a factor if you are prone to cold, so regardless of speed, they may be beneficial along with a buoy.

You coming to this race?
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if consideration was given to shoreline currents in selecting the date/time?

We did a course recon this summer, luckily with the current, and it seemed strong enough that it would be impossible to make headway if reversed on a few of the big loop return swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina OTILLO Swimrun, come on down!! [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Sunday that weekend low tide at 8:30am a 1.3 and high tide 2:30pm a 2.3 so there is barely any water movement during the race. i would consider that to be favorable but you can have all kinds of different conditions there I don’t think you Can predict it I found the same current you did when I swam there back in October. I also got home after my weekend at the island and found this

https://www.latimes.com/...eeth-catalina-island

You can tell which way the current is going by looking at the small buoys with the antenae sticking out of the water. Those small buoys are attached to the nearby large mooring can by a rope. The position of the small buoy relative to the mooring can will tell you which way the current is going. Also if the kelp is floating on the surface and is too thick to swim through that usually means no current and if you can’t see much kelp then assume there is a strong current cause the current pulls the kelp sideways underwater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Orca sleeves have a front panel with what I would guess is 10mm of neoprene, with maybe 4mm on the back. They are like soccer shin guards—you place the thick front panel on your shins, and the thin part covers the calves.

I first made the mistake of buying a large sized pair. They would fall down around my ankle. Still provided buoyancy, but not in a streamlined way, and I would need to keep hiking them up. I bought a pair of mediums and those work perfectly. I wear medium sized clothing most of the time, so I am not sure why I thought large was the right size at first.

If my partner was gung ho, I could be persuaded to do Catalina. I would love to qualify for Worlds, and this race is the best US option for doing that. I’m doing Kona this year, so a Hawaii / Sweden double would be a major stretch with work. Still tempting, though.

I have met the RDs at Casco Bay. These guys are great advocates for Swimrun. I really hope they are successful with this event.
Quote Reply

Prev Next