Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carpinteria RR
Quote | Reply
Well, as a 1st year newbie triathlete I have done one mini-sprint and two sprint triathlons to date. It was time to step it up a bit, so this weekend I entered the Carpinteria Olympic Distance Triathlon. First, let me get all of the excuses out of the way. I got sick about two weeks ago, it threw me off my training (more mentally than anything) and I fell off my nutrition plan big time – gained ~4 lbs L Not a good start when trying to take on a larger challenge, but the excuses don’t really hold water. The most damaging things (nutrition, weight gain) were in my control and I just had a momentary lapse of discipline.

The Race:

I don’t have any of the time splits yet, as they were not posted at the event (no chips) and I paid little attention to my watch during transitions, so all times except the final time are estimates at best. The swim was a modified out and back course in the ocean. Couple hundred yards out, turn right at a big buoy, ~600m up the coast, 180 degree turn 600m back down the coast, turn left and back to shore. The current was running against me on the way up the coast and with me on the way back. I had a GREAT start!!! Ran out, dolphined twice and was off! There were maybe 70-100 people in my wave. Started with a moderate pace and was able to hold it comfortably the whole time. No water fighting or anything just a nice well controlled swim – Unbelievable, was I really in a triathlon? Caught a wave on the swim to shore and rode it all the way to the beach. Now this is a great way to start a race J I think I got out of the water between 20 and 21 minutes, maybe 5th or 6th in the wave, who really cares about the placing I was enjoying myself.

Flew threw the transition, all that transition practice paid off!!! Maybe 2-3 minutes? By the way, Pam on the legs really helps get the wetsuit off fast.

Ahh, the bike. Did I mention I am a fish and very new to this cycling and running stuff? In my limited experience, I would have to say this was a super hilly course. Luckily, upon the advice of some more experienced triathletes I changed my rear cassette from an 11-23 to a 12-27. This very well may have saved the race and allowed me to finish. Two of the hills on this course had me in my very lowest gear going 7.5 mph, 10+bpm over my target HR, crying for my mommy! How the heck am I supposed to “spin” up hills like that!? At this point I knew my pacing plan was blown and there was going to be some suffering on the run. My legs were burning. I believe I rode to the best of my ability, however after only owning a bike since May (before that I had to borrow one or use the stationary bike at the gym) I think my engine is just too small. It is like that poor VW bus climbing the I5 at the grapevine, sure it is going to the best of its ability, however its ability is just not that much :P This off-season I definitely need to trade the VW in and at least get a Honda accord or something. Bike time was something like 1:16. About 19.6 mph, not bad considering my meltdown on two of the hills. I am optimistic there is plenty of room for improvement.

T2, man I am getting good at this transition stuff! For the first time I was able to yank me feet out of the shoes while still on the bike and run into the transition area barefoot. It really feels good to not waste time during the transitions. My loving wife, who inspired my recent transition practice after watching my leisurely stroll through the transitions at my last race, was even impressed. ~ 1 min.

Now for the run. My legs were fried. I had planned and trained to hold a HR of 160 for the run, this was not to be. During the first mile, I was very worried about finishing the race without having to walk. I think this taught me a lot about my mental toughness and the limited level of control my mind seems to have over my body while running. My mind was screaming at my body to go, but my body wasn’t completely listening and I was worried my legs would just lock up and leave me lying in a heap on the side of the road. I vowed not to walk, no matter what happened, time to prove to myself I am not one of those pansy fishes. I started slow but managed to increase my pace every mile. My HR range started in the high 140s and by mile 3, I was clipping along in the mid 150s, not my target but I felt as if I was winning the battle. Brought up my pace to target after hitting the 5 mile marker, and actually was able to lay down a sprint for the last 2-300 meters. Maybe I can learn to do this running stuff after all. ~48 minutes. Overall time 1:28, about 8 minutes slower than my target.

I am a little disappointed in the slow time, but more than anything I have a renewed desire to train hard and drop those last 10-12 pounds. Even though this wasn’t a perfect race as judged my disappointing time and failure to maintain my pacing goals, this race gave me a new confidence in myself. I now know that I have the ability to fight back when my body is screaming at me to quit. THERE IS NO QUIT IN THIS FISHY!!!
Quote Reply