Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cardiac Rehab After Aortic Valve Replacement
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on best practices for cardiac rehab after Aortic Valve Replacement. I am in a bit of a weird place due to circumstances of non emergency health care being curtailed by corona virus restrictions....I had my valve done just before everything shut down, spent 5 days in hospital, was discharged and have not physically seen a provider until being able to see Rehab this week. I am at week 10 post op. Activity prior to rehab: lots of walking, some running, cycling and swimming at levels not exceeding zone 3. Rehab's recommendations for exertion are much below where I have been functioning for 4 weeks now. They are looking at blood pressure values, which I have not been able to monitor during excercise, as the limiter.
Quote Reply
Re: Cardiac Rehab After Aortic Valve Replacement [craigmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would keep walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What procedure did you have? What type of valve? What is your age?

Don't rush things. You likely had your aortic root replaced as well, and it takes quite a bit of time to heal. It will be at least a year before you feel normal. At least. Are you on beta blockers and blood thinners?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cardiac Rehab After Aortic Valve Replacement [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 51; had bioprosthetic replacement with no root graft for stenotic bicuspid valve. No beta blockers, no blood thinners.
Last edited by: craigmt: Jun 6, 20 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a conversation to have with your rehab and your cardiologist. Discuss your prior activity level, and ask about appropriate recommendations. You should get a good explanation for WHY they impose whatever restrictions they impose.... And the risks of exceeding them.

I assume you've seen my thread. I had bypass surgery, not a valve replacement. I can't speak to what your experience will be or should be. I did not do cardiac rehab for the same reason. It was shut down the day after my orientation. By the time they called me to start back up... I was running 6-10 miles per day. So, I declined.

My recovery has been close to textbook. At 11 weeks, my long run was up to 10 miles... I was running 35 miles per week, 5-6 days per week. Ive run 42 miles this week. But, I have no idea if that's right or to be expected for you.

Are you Monitoring your resting, morning blood pressure?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 6, 20 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a Cardiac rehab unit. The best thing you can do is communicate with the staff. I for example like to get to know my patients and their numbers the first 3-5 sessions. It's not a steadfast rule but generally speaking if we are going to see a problem --arrhythmias, bp issues, medication issues, etc it is generally in those first five sessions. It's explained up front that it may seem easy, which is always fixable, but after those sessions the program will take off. You are younger and healthier than the average patient so again--communicate, and ask questions. What are the BP readings? What are your goals?

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's fantastic. I agree with others that you need to communicate with your doctor's and staff. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also don't be surprised if they don't wish to address your questions about training; at least not specifically. Your the age of the children of most of their patients. They're not used to a young active person who wants to be back to training asap.

Listen to your body. If you're tired, rest. This isn't a race. Don't worry about your fitness right now, just heal. Glad to hear your recovering well! Seriously, though, it will get better and better, but you won't feel quite right for a year. Just the way it is.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cardiac Rehab After Aortic Valve Replacement [randial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response. I was not taking any BP meds for six weeks after surgery; daily readings mid 120s-135s over 80s. Went back to work and my BP spiked...stress much? Cardiologist recommended starting meds again, within days BP lower to no higher than that range. Rehab reads 180 over 90 at moderately strenuous exercise level -not uncomfortable for me....and doesn't recommend this intensity at all. Pulse rate at that level: 130s. Resting pulse rate below 50 generally, regular rate in sixty's. I am really looking for some good guidance about acceptable BP rates for athletes while exercising....I do understand I'm not going to fall into normal category until more healed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, so with those numbers I’m going to agree with the staff, No increases until your BP levels out. Not so concerned with, some patients need a week, maybe two for the meds to be effective. What I would stress to you is: Forget the numbers you used to do, for now, been my experience that younger active patients always want to get right back to what they used to do. Be patient, it’ll come, and remember that you had a very invasive procedure. Your heart is recovering, you have new pathways now vs the pathways that did what was needed to do to get the job done. There’s a physical and emotional toll that comes with this remodeling. The good news is that you are in the best place you could be — there’s no safer place to get back to what you used to do. You have eyes on you, eyes on your rhythm, and ears available for questions or concerns. Use them, be an active participant in your care.
Check back in, love to hear how it goes

Use my name, randydial, in the promo/VIP code for 40% off @ http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three years ago the Cleveland Clinic replaced my Aortic valve with a bovine model. At 62 years old my rehab began 6 weeks post-op with three times a week visits at the clinic facility, slowly building my heart rate to 135 max. 12 weeks post-op I was allowed to ride outside on my own, still observing the 135 limit. After a stress test 14 weeks out I was cut loose to ride as much as wanted without doing any high intensity intervals. 18 weeks out I finished mid pack at Etape du Tour in the alps,110 miles with 13000 feet of climbing.

I followed the rehab team's instruction to the letter and never went harder that they allowed. Your results may vary.
Quote Reply