Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon wheels and gravel, rocks
Quote | Reply
Anyone put a hole in a carbon wheel on gravel or gnarly rocks?
Am I risking my rims?

I can't say I worry about it much, but I suppose it could happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon wheels and gravel, rocks [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon fiber is incredibly strong, and the odds of a rock hitting the side of your rims is pretty small to begin with, unless I suppose you’re riding in a group and someone to the side of you kicks up a rock.

The bigger risk is if you have a flat tire or low pressure and smash into a rock or pothole, and crack a rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I got into gravel this was a concern. Yes in races I have heard rocks hit my rims. And my frame. I run the HED Vanquish 6 and have had zero issues and see no more aesthetic issues than on the road.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 12 years I have graveled Jets and Vanquishes (not aero disc wheels) fairly extensively. Probably 7000 miles. In the 90s we made a Jet wheel for mountain biking called the cross country. I rode those for years too. In that time, I have certainly heard some rocks whack my wheels, but it is not common. No cracks or holes from rocks flying around. Ever.
I have run into things like logs and rocks - and potholes and curbs. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. Impact on a static object can dent an alloy rim or crack a carbon rim - I have done both. At some point you're going to leave a mark but damage is less common than you might think.
We design our carbon rims to be more impact resistant than alloy, but not unbreakable.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply