Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous?
Quote | Reply
Can the experts have a look at this picture? Its looks a little bit funny, like overstretched carbon or however you want to describe it. However its totally smooth when you move your finger over it, I can not feel any problems with it, only the looks make me think.

Am I being paranoid? Its the brake track after all.

Or am I too lazy to send it back and risking my health? This one is already the replacement disc for another one that arrived last week and was really broken and splintered... I am starting to be upset with Zipps quality on their discs if this is again faulty.

Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry its the left brake-track, on the outside. Basically top view from standing on the left behind the wheel. Hope that makes sense =)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The picture is tough to place / assess. That said, it looks like a resin rich area to me. Toughened epoxies will get an amber tinge to them over time.

If no physical damage then it is likely fine. Just not a great example of workmanship.

If brand new then I would ask them to send me a replacement.

Edit: is this localized or around the entire brake track. If localized more likely to pursue a replacement. Also, if the resin rich area is near a radius then it is probably a pretty common defect.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Mar 12, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I’d request a new one, but not because of it being on the brake track but because of it being on the curve where the tire mounts too. If you gave me that wheel and I had nothing else to go off of I’d say you had an impact on a pothole and that section is now cracked underneath the outer layer of resin.

I doubt you’d have issues with it but it also looks wrong enough that I’d be concerned something wasn’t laid right. Extra resin may just be that, but it can also mean there isn’t enough carbon there for support. Obviously if that is the case it may be a big issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another picture that is less zoomed in might be helpful .
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for no better picture, I am being limited to 250kb =)

Its local in that area, and there are two other area where is the same appearance, but to a smaller extend. All of them are smooth on the surface and don't appear like structural damage.

I could send it back, but I found this one on Amazon (directly from Amazon) 200$ cheaper than in the other shops. So I could send it back but then I pay up, which of course I would like to avoid, if its just optical.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does this help?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and another picture from another smaller area about one third down the braketrack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like it is a resin rich area where the brake track is mated up with the fairing. I am less concerned that there could be structural issues.

You can do a coin tap around the area and compare it to other areas where the appearance is normal if the resin rich area sound duller, then there is damage. If not then you are back to making the call on your own whether or not to return / exchange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you contact your local Zipp dealer and have them send this photo to Zipp for an official answer?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon experts - is this Zipp Super 9 damaged and/or dangerous? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp is saying (great service via email, really happy with them):

"...but the color difference appears to be epoxy from manufacture. It's a normal part of molding. Since ZIPP doesn't paint its rims, some natural inconsistencies may be visible."

"Good-I'm glad there's no unevenness to the surface. What you note appears to be cosmetic.
The surface looks like normal manufacture to me, but if you want a technical n evaluation it would have to go through point of purchase and the UK Tech Center."

A friend of mine is using his Super 9 for three years now and he says his looks similiar.... looks like I am being paranoid after all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Zipp says it's fine, then ride it and quit worrying about it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply