Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest?
Quote | Reply

​​​​​Hi Everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted much information or commented on any threads about carbon fiber components, but over the last few months I have been getting more e-mails about the possibility of making carbon fiber wheel covers.

I have had people over the last few years ask me about making them, but at the time there were others making them (Wheel Builder, Catalyst, and a shop in the UK that I know of) so I never looked into going any further with a project. Lately I was told that Catalyst is no longer in business and has stopped making them, so I think that might be the reason I have been getting more e-mails about them.

The reason for this post to to gauge the interest in a project like this to see if it is a feasibly from a cost standpoint compared to the amount of interest of people wanting a cover like this. This type of part is pretty large so the tooling costs are not insignificant, so the volume would need to be large enough to pay back the tooling over time.

What I would like to get out of this post is any interest in a carbon wheel cover that would be very similar in design to the other covers that are (were) available and a reasonable fair market cost that people feel they would pay for a product like this. If you could please email me at my e-mail address below or on this thread, this would be great.

BTW, for the Cervelo P5 owners out there that have seen my thread on a bottom Bracket storage box over the last couple of years, I am still working on trying to get this project started up as well. It will still be awhile, but I have not completely given up on this yet. Sorry for the lack of updates on any of these projects, but life kind of took over and I had to put a lot on the side until I could come up with more time.

Thank you for everyone’s support over the years for all of my components, I can not thank you enough, Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest? [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gralden wrote:

​​​​​Hi Everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted much information or commented on any threads about carbon fiber components, but over the last few months I have been getting more e-mails about the possibility of making carbon fiber wheel covers.

I have had people over the last few years ask me about making them, but at the time there were others making them (Wheel Builder, Catalyst, and a shop in the UK that I know of) so I never looked into going any further with a project. Lately I was told that Catalyst is no longer in business and has stopped making them, so I think that might be the reason I have been getting more e-mails about them.

The reason for this post to to gauge the interest in a project like this to see if it is a feasibly from a cost standpoint compared to the amount of interest of people wanting a cover like this. This type of part is pretty large so the tooling costs are not insignificant, so the volume would need to be large enough to pay back the tooling over time.

What I would like to get out of this post is any interest in a carbon wheel cover that would be very similar in design to the other covers that are (were) available and a reasonable fair market cost that people feel they would pay for a product like this. If you could please email me at my e-mail address below or on this thread, this would be great.

BTW, for the Cervelo P5 owners out there that have seen my thread on a bottom Bracket storage box over the last couple of years, I am still working on trying to get this project started up as well. It will still be awhile, but I have not completely given up on this yet. Sorry for the lack of updates on any of these projects, but life kind of took over and I had to put a lot on the side until I could come up with more time.

Thank you for everyone’s support over the years for all of my components, I can not thank you enough, Glen

Always interested. Really liked my Catalyst wheel cover - it was too bad they couldn't turn a profit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you make a wheel cover out of carbon fiber and not just light plastic? You don't need structural strength in that application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in a carbon wheel cover with pricing along the same lines as the Catalyst offering (which I am still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest? [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love my catalyst cover. would love one for my road bike (just to troll my teammates and roadies) as well as my other wheelsets.

i would love a carbon option that attaches with tape and another option.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, good question on why does a cover need to be made from carbon fiber. The basic answer is that it does not need to be, plastic will work just fine. Based on my experience running a plastic wheel cover from a very popular source, I have found that I typically need to replace the cover after about every three years as the plastic tends to develop cracks over time. Also living in the Midwest where I ride in all kinds of temperature, from 30-90 degrees, the cover goes through a lot of thermal swings causing these cracks. Also, a lot of roads I ride on are chip and seal, so the vibration takes its toll on the plastic covers as well.

I believe the carbon fiber cover will last a lot longer than the plastic ones while more than likely coming in lighter as well, which is always a good thing :o)

I hope this helps, Glen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glen,

I have also used 3 plastic wheel covers from a very popular source. The first one used the plastic connectors and cracked near the hub within a few rides. The replacement had a 5-10mm gap around the hub and I also used 3m electrical tape against the spokes form the inside. I started putting electrical tape around the edge of the cover and the cracks never seemed to grow. It lasted pretty well and I sold it with the matching wheels.

The third set was ordered with no connector holes or connectors and a little small. I literally shaved the inner holes until the fit snugly onto the spoke flange of the hub. 3m electrical tape around the edge of the cover to the rim to hold it on. It's by far the most quiet of the three wheel covers and there hasn't been a single crack. I'm convinced it was the small movements of the cover that was cracking them. I have kept the current cover on with the same 3m tape since last summer. Probably a few hundred miles and that tape is still sticking like a champ.

Just some thoughts/feedback for you from a neighbor to the left in Illinois if you go the route of designing your own cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
id be interested! I have your bta garmin mount and love it so always interested in your products that I have a use for.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Catalyst wheel cover which I really like, so not a potential customer right now. But I can strongly recommend the concept to other potential buyers, and it would be nice to have another source if anything ever happens to mine. Makes a nice light wheel that you can use on any terrain without feeling you're giving up anything on the hills, and there's no question in my mind that I'm faster with my 808 using the cover than without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested so long as the covers didn't attach via tape. I'll send you an email later tonight with an idea for modular tooling. In an ideal world, I'd be able to pop the freehub off of a Powertap G3, pop the cover on which would stay in place via friction fit, and pop the freehub back on.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x1 on the tape.

Went to IMTX with my disc cover and when I arrived to transition the morning of the race, I found that the non-drive side jacket came off due to the humidity. Pulled the rear wheel off and pulled off the disc jacket entirely. Was the last thing I wanted to deal with on race morning. But yea, if it is lighter and makes me faster, I am in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably be in! Been looking to get a new cover for my Jet6 PT wheel but don't want to get another unless it's carbon. And where in the midwest? If you are around the Chicago area I would love to check out some of stuff up close!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested. Since I can't see the price of the Catalyst anymore apparently, how much more over Wheelbuilder cover are you targeting? Total price $200, $300, $400?

Would they be trimmed to specific rims before they get shipped?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it will save somebody money, time, or something, great. I was mostly wondering what the motivation was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested. Agree with others on something better than tape or other push in type plastic connectors to secure it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely interested. I think the British firm you mentioned is Raltech. They never responded to e-mails or voice messages.

I like my Catalyst cover. It's definitely faster than no cover on RZR92s. But it doesn't lay flat on the non-drive side.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Jun 27, 17 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested, if the price is right and shipping to the UK.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Catalyst cover so I'm not in the market but I will add that I like the Catalyst one way more than the Wheelbuilder ones I had in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I am in the market.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested. Particularly if you offered a version dished to work with track bike wheels. It might be as simple as selling a track/fixed set comprised of 2 non-drive side road covers. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely in the market for a carbon disc cover for my Profile 78/twentyfour rear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also http://www.laminarcover.com/ingles/index.html
I've been using them since 2014 with zero problems. They are quite popular in Spain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, thank you to for the interest and input so far for this cover.

For the mounting of the cover, I think the leading contenders still need to be the plastic screws or the 3M electrical tape as these can be fairly easily applied across the cover size range, but I am always open to look at other methods from those that might have other thoughts. I use the tape method now on the plastic cover that I have on my training wheel and it works out really well, but it does take time to have the tape overlap look consistent around the cover.

I am starting to work through the design of the wheel cover to see how the mold costs are going to be and how many mold sets I will need. I am trying to see if I can have a generic drive side and non-drive side mold and trim to fit, but I need to measure up a lot more wheels at the local bike shop to see if this is possible to do. I am not 100% sure if Catalyst or the other cover suppliers use this approach or not, or if they have multiple mold sets for each side, so that is the biggest question mark I need to look at in making this project be a go.

If I can work through the base design of the two sides of the cover in the next couple of weeks then I think I will move forward with this project (assuming I can justify the cost of the tooling depending on how many mold sets I would need) as it looks like there is a real need for these covers. For those that wonder where I am located, I am in the midwest about an hour south of Indianapolis, in Seymour Indiana.

I will keep everyone updated as I work through what I need to do to get this to be a real project. Thank you, Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheel Cover Interest? [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
x1 on the tape.

Went to IMTX with my disc cover and when I arrived to transition the morning of the race, I found that the non-drive side jacket came off due to the humidity. Pulled the rear wheel off and pulled off the disc jacket entirely. Was the last thing I wanted to deal with on race morning. But yea, if it is lighter and makes me faster, I am in!

I have the Catalyst cover which I attach with high quality electrical tape. My last race was ridden in the rain and I had no problem with it, it stayed secured and there was no water intrusion inside (I also had the pump opening covered with tape). However, the Catalyst is very light, to the point of being flimsy if not properly secured. Because it's light and flexible, the tape seems to work well. I'm not sure I'd trust the tape to hold up if a lot of water got inside so I would always tape up the pump opening if I expected any chance of rain. I've never had the Wheelbuilder covers but I know they weigh a lot more, a pound or so vs. the quarter pound of the Catalyst, and are likely significantly stiffer. I suspect that if you're going to tape the Wheelbuilder covers you need to use a very strong and high quality tape like Gorilla tape (which is very sticky but less likely to leave residue than generic duct tape), or the weight and rigidity of the covers may pull the tape away if there's moisture. I think if I was running a heavier and stiffer cover I'd want to back up the tape with mechanical fasteners as well. And of course, if you're using tape you have to make sure the surface of the wheel is clean and dry, I cleaned it with alcohol solvent prior to attaching the tape.

One other point about the Catalyst is that it's flexible enough that mechanical fasteners would not work. I guess that's the price you pay for having something that essentially adds negligible weight to your wheel. Taping it is a bit time consuming, I presume fasteners are quicker but have never used them and I doubt they're that fast either. In my case the wheel cover lives permanently on the wheel and it's only used for races so for me that's a moot point.

So all of this is something for Glen to mull over as he plans his product.
Quote Reply

Prev Next