Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update
Quote | Reply
Hi Everybody,

I was inspired by a post by Synthetic in the I Can't Change a Tire thread to puchase a Tannus wheelset. These are some sort of foam insert that takes the place of a tube on the tire. They are guaranteed for 5000 miles and I'll never have a flat again. So far I'm very happy with them.

I realize there's an increase in CRR and my CdA, but I'll still be able to bang out my patented 18 mph sprint bike splits!

They say they corner better than regular tires. I haven't attempted a high speed, wet road corner yet, however.

The tires in turn inspired me to get photos of the beam on my Softride.

There appears to be some delamination between the top and bottom halves of the beam.

To be sure, I don't know anything about carbon fiber. Possibly the rubber gasket between the halves is deteriorating due to age (I would guess the bike is nearing 30 years).

I thought I'd ask the forum if they have any ideas about the beam. Does it need repair?

Thank you!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Last edited by: themuse1: May 10, 21 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themuse1 wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I was inspired by a post by Synthetic in the I Can't Change a Tire thread to puchase a Tannus wheelset. These are some sort of foam insert that takes the place of a tube on the tire. They are guaranteed for 5000 miles and I'll never have a flat again. So far I'm very happy with them.

I realize there's an increase in CRR and my CdA, but I'll still be able to bang out my patented 18 mph sprint bike splits!

They say they corner better than regular tires. I haven't attempted a high speed, wet road corner yet, however.

The tires in turn inspired me to get photos of the beam on my Softride.

There appears to be some delamination between the top and bottom halves of the beam.

To be sure, I don't know anything about carbon fiber. Possibly the rubber gasket between the halves is deteriorating due to age (I would guess the bike is nearing 30 years).

I thought I'd ask the forum if they have any ideas about the beam. Does it need repair?

Thank you!

Mark

Beam is shot and can't be repaired. common issue, if you google it. Did you replace the beam bolt every 5K, as Softride required?
Good luck finding another one, as they are no longer made. You could replace it with a Titanium custom.

Tannus is a competition product to what's promoted and beaten to death on this site already. It's great for touring and backcountry, but not so much fun to ride on the road, IMO.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nevertoolate,

Good information!

I bought the bike used and never thought to change the beam bolt. It has been a fun bike.

I appreciate the information.

Thank you!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest you read this thread (re: ride quality and safety) before making the commitment: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ss_tires%3F_P7177376
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the thread link.

Yes, the tannus tires will work for me when I'm riding rail trails and packed gravel. They certainly aren't a racing tire.

Thank you!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you must ride in the rain keep a set of rubber based tire wheel set.

i just got a new set of tannus and will finally put them on my tri bike ! (all my road bikes have them). No more begging people for a ride to tri races cause of my paranoia of flatting on the way. Will just bike to them :) . And will finally be able to get you folks some power data.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
if you must ride in the rain keep a set of rubber based tire wheel set.

i just got a new set of tannus and will finally put them on my tri bike ! (all my road bikes have them). No more begging people for a ride to tri races cause of my paranoia of flatting on the way. Will just bike to them :) . And will finally be able to get you folks some power data.

I will likely get these for my commuter bike.

It rarely rains here, but just as a heads up, how do Tannus wheels function on wet roads, since you seem to warn against it?

I never thought I'd become an aeroweenie, and was actually against all that minutiae as I'm not a stud cyclist and still believe training is paramount, but I gotta admit through experience of riding many training loop repeatedly over the years - I can DEFINITELY immediately notice the difference between a slow tire such as a Gatorskin (prob similar to Tannus) and a GP5000, and I can also DEFINITELY immediately notice the speed gain, albeit small of 50mm+ wheels vs training wheels. As verified afterwards by the speed boosts, prob in the 1mph range each. So no Tannus going on my tri bike!!
Last edited by: lightheir: May 12, 21 9:09
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

It rarely rains here, but just as a heads up, how do Tannus wheels function on wet roads, since you seem to warn against it?

From other thread:

Warbird wrote:
One thing we discovered, and found mentioned in a few reviews, is the traction when wet. The entire tire is made of foam, including the tread. There is no rubber. On smooth wet surfaces, traction can be unpredictable.

lightheir wrote:
I never thought I'd become an aeroweenie, and was actually against all that minutiae as I'm not a stud cyclist and still believe training is paramount, but I gotta admit through experience of riding many training loop repeatedly over the years - I can DEFINITELY immediately notice the difference between a slow tire such as a Gatorskin (prob similar to Tannus) and a GP5000, and I can also DEFINITELY immediately notice the speed gain, albeit small of 50mm+ wheels vs training wheels. As verified afterwards by the speed boosts, prob in the 1mph range each. So no Tannus going on my tri bike!!

What's the triathlon analogue for "butt dyno"?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Fiber Question and Tannus Tires Combo Update [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I'm not a stud cyclist and still believe training is paramount, - So no Tannus going on my tri bike!!

1) definitely a no on the slicks model in the rain. in the rain i ride slower - so yea its possible, but i have some PTSD from being hit by a car in the rain.

2) use them to train with on tri bike... good training is watts based :) - I am just putting them on my stock wheel set , not carbon

aravilare wrote:
What's the triathlon analogue for "butt dyno"?

well.. many on here ride with the dyno attached.. power meter :)
Quote Reply