Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration??
Quote | Reply
By way of background, I am propertly fit on a aluminum tri-bike. I love the fit and the ride - my lower back, however, does not. Major back pain following any ride of 50-plus. I can run through it, but it ain't pleasant. I've been contemplating a softride, but wonder whether there is another alternative. I've been reading about the dampening affect of carbon components (such as seat posts) and frames. Any thoughts on whether this could be a solution? And yes, I stretch before and after every ride, so much that I should be a yogist. I also do routine core body exercises.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. This is interesting. First off, saying the cause of your problem is an aluminum frame is likely to not be 100% accurate. It sounds like you are making the supposition that aluminum frames ride "rough" or more harshly than other materials. That is an inaccurate generalization. The most comfortable riding bike I have ever been on was made of aluminum tubing, and the harshest riding bike I have ever been on was also made of (different) aluminum tubing. So, stay away from the automatic generalization it is your aluminum frame. I read what you said about the bike fitting you, but I would more likely suspect the bike fit as a cause or contributor to the issue. Now, carbon: The very nature of carbon fiber composites is that they can be "engineered" to perfrom like darn near anything. Unlike metals, where you can only exert so much influence on their basic properties (especially at the "elemental" level), carbon fiber composites are largely controllable (or at least more so than most metals) in their properties. Also, they can be configured to perfrom differently in different directions.
I know I always run back to this, but I would suggest your issues may be more fit oriented than material oriented. I've got a REALLY bad back, and I own a number of aluminum bikes and I have no problems with ride comfort. I wish I could give you more specifics.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an aluminum framed Aquila with an aluminum fork which was quite harsh on rough pavement. I put a set of Spinergy Spox which have carbon spokes on the bike and it made a big difference in comfort. With the dampening the wheels give me it is a lot easier to stay aero on rough roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert,

Speaking only from the seat of my bike shorts, yes carbon does dampen and the difference was significant. I went from a poly somethin or other, to a 5200, to a Softride. Each was a jump in comfort and frankly more comfort led to faster bike splits, I think -- hard to tear it down to one variable. I will say this about the switch from the 5200 to the SR, the first thing I noticed was how comfortable, how dampened the road shock was using a Profile fork. The beam ride is sweet but the biggest difference is the ability to run off the bike. I just don't absord as much punishment. That being said my fit-bike guy would not committ to any bike recommendation until we went through a thourough history, evaluation, and id'ing of goals. Based on that x,y,z, in x,y,z, sizes were recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this screwy way to test dampening ability of different bikes, and/or parts.

Hold the bike about one foot off of the ground and drop it so that it lands on both wheels simultaneously. (Don't completely let go of the bike as it bounces around!) The combination that obviously bounces less will act similarly on the road...at least on the bumpy stuff. It is absorbing those jarring shocks better.

This doesn't say anything about fit, or strength, or flexibility of the tubing, etc. It does show differences in dampening ability.

Really try it! You might be shocked (pun intended) at the differences between bikes/wheels/forks.

The most comfortable aluminum bike I've had came with a carbon front fork. This bike was almost springy-feeling...in fact, there was a particular dip in the road that I would actually have the rear wheel come off of the ground if I pedalled hard while I crossed it. That same bump doesn't ever make the wheel on my carbon fiber bike break traction. My carbon bike is REALLY better at dampening the road "noise", but it feels sort of dead...in a good way. I also am much more comfortable for longer rides on my carbon fiber bike.

As you might guess, the Drop and Bounce test is very accurate at predicting which of these bikes filters out the vibrations the best.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spinergy PBO spoked wheels (Xaero, Xaero lite, Xaero Carbon, *new* Tilium) = instant, dramatic comfort enhancement without replacing the entire frame and assorted goodies. I ordered a set of Xaero lites with my new bike and absolutely love them, especially on longer training rides. I love them so much I'm ordering a 700c set for my road bike, and some 650c Tiliums for Tris/TTs.

Caveat: I don't think I'd use them in a crit. I like my 32 hole, rock-solid standard wheels in that application. Everywhere else, I'm a Spinergy convert.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't those PBO spokes something else... for me, there was also a significant reduction in vibration... smoooth. I only wish they were more aero... perhaps bladed version of the current PBO could be in offering...hmmm. Who knows, but I hope so. If they produced a blade version, then I'd consider using them for racing as well as training. Right now, I just use them for training.

From a confort standpoint, Spinergy hit it right with these Xaero Lites.

Let's all have a group hug... on second thought, maybe not.. ...it's just a wheel.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an alum. road bike that is pretty harsh. I put a carbon post and even carbon bars on it, I can't really tell whether it helped. IMO, more is to be gained from wheels, tires, and air pressure that in frame material with all things being equal. Anecdotal evidence of the spinergy wheels indicates such, and additionally, running lower psi will certainly improve your ride as well.

While I don't doubt that the post originator is fitted properly in a general sense on his bike, I would suspect that he is not fitted correctly given the added variable of his particular back issues. X + Y + Z = fit A, however, through in the added variable of a bad back (BB), and you get X + Y + Z + BB = fit B. Obviously, if BB is not present in the first scenario, fit A is proper at one particular time for a specific individual but fit A becomes not proper with the introduction of BB. I know it sounds stupid, but you get my point.

That said, having rode OCLVs and kestrels to an extent, don't notice a tremendous difference between them and aluminum. However, it is nearly impossible to quantify, especially in light of the multiple variables of wheels, tires, and PSI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Calfee road bike and a Softride Road Rocket, the Calfee is an awesome bike but for comfort the Softride is flat out more comfortable and I'm properly fit on both rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one poster said that he didnt notice the difference with a carbon fork, im writing to say that i did. And it was major. I went from steel to carbon. And on that first ride, i kept thinking i had a front flat tire cause it was so squishy feeling. Now i dont think a squishy fork will help significantly for back problems. It couldnt hurt though and neither could having your position looked at by another expert.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber bikes. Currently riding a Kestrel KM 40 which is as comfortable as a previous "beam" bike Zipp 2001. The main reason I believe is the lack of a seat tube in both the Zipp (or Softride) and the Kestrel. Lets face it, a seat tube probably transmits a great deal of road shock. As others indicate, wheels, seat posts and fit primarily will lead to a resolution for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon - Really Dampen Vibration?? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride 2 bikes, a Kestrel KM40 carbor fiber and a Specialized M2 aluminum road bike. I bought the Kestrel because I wanted a tri bike and loved it's ride qualities. I was tired of the Specialized riding so harshly with so much road vibration.

Later I started tinkering with the M2 to see if I could improve the ride. Here are some things I did that I feel made a big difference in the ride quality.

1. Try different brands/sizes of tires. In my opinion tires have the most effect on ride quality per dollar spent (it's a lot cheaper than trying out different sets of wheels). The Specialized originally came with Continentental Supersport Ultra 23c tires. They were fast but you feel every little bump in the road. I then tried a set of Michelin Axial Pro 25's and the bike rode like a dream. Very smooth almost "Cadillac like" ride. I could even ride it down a dirt road and feel comfortable. However, they felt much slower, and when riding down a steep hill on pavement, at high speed the bike felt squirmy and a little unstable. Next I tried a set of Michelin Axial Pro 23's and as you might guess they were "just right".

2. I changed the Specialized aluminum fork to a Kinesis Carbon fiber fork. I noticed significantly less vibration on the bars.

3. Get a really good pair of cycling gloves with a padded or "Gel" insert in the palms.

4. Try a more comfortable seat and/or get a Quintana Roo or DeSoto neoperine seat cover.

5. When training use a bib or bike short with a high quality road type pad.

6. I swapped out the stock aluminum seat post for a titanium forward-position one and think it may have improved the ride, but it's hard to quantify.

I hope this is of some help.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 12, 03 7:15
Quote Reply