Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canyon laps up the cream
Quote | Reply
Besides 'nearly man' Laidlow, yet another actual Kona champion besides Frodeno and Lange will ride Canyon next year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoHeI7aj29C/
More to come??
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 1, 23 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilde has just announced on his SM that he is leaving Specialized. Didn’t sound like it was mutual either. Will be interesting to see what he rides in Abu Dhabi in a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m interested to see what Kat Matthews will ride this year, sounds like an announcement coming soon from her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heather Jackson to Canyon too.
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Feb 1, 23 5:23
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat Matthews on Canyon. Pics on her SM of her on the new bike, you can work out from the distinct chainstays its a Speedmax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With their moves on riders this year, Canyon obviously had some cash to spend. Good on them!

It will be interesting to see if the predictions of plummeting sales & huge inventories comes true, and how that may affect Canyon and their athlete roster moving forward - especially considering the recent roster reductions of other competing brands.

I know there isn't a lot of motorheads on this forum, but it reminds me of KTM vs the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers during the sub-prime mortgage (SPM) crisis in the mid to late 2000's. KTM was a pesky gnat globally to the Japanese manufacturers in the early-mid 2000's. The SPM crisis hit. The world economy went into a huge recession. The Japanese retracted on all fronts, as most did during the time. They didn't shut down like Covid, but close. At the same time KTM literally doubled their R&D & marketing spend. It was a huge risk, but they took it. By the end of the SPM crisis, KTM wasn't a gnat any longer. They made the jump to get on level with the Japanese and have since become a leader in some market categories.

The similarity to me is 1) if the predictions are accurate - does Canyon see and agree with those too? And if they do, 2) are they doubling down setting themselves up to jump levels? They're not as far off the "top" brands today. Certainly nothing near the gap between them and the top of the cycling market like KTM was to the Japanese back when. It will be interesting to see it play out over the coming few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I’m interested to see what Kat Matthews will ride this year, sounds like an announcement coming soon from her.

She is on Canyon too isn’t she?

Emma Pallant is announcing her new bike sponsor today. Judging by the late timing I am guessing it is going to be American.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:

That makes zero sense tbh.

But damn maybe they should just sponsor alle pros and be done with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Herbie Hancock wrote:

That makes zero sense tbh.

But damn maybe they should just sponsor alle pros and be done with it.

It's completely for gravel. She's a gravel and ultra girl now - and I think she's got a pretty good following already with those crowds. It's a good pick up for them.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Canyon's best pick up is Alec Briggs or alec_pedaler in Instagram. Go check him out.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:
With their moves on riders this year, Canyon obviously had some cash to spend. Good on them!

It will be interesting to see if the predictions of plummeting sales & huge inventories comes true, and how that may affect Canyon and their athlete roster moving forward - especially considering the recent roster reductions of other competing brands.

I know there isn't a lot of motorheads on this forum, but it reminds me of KTM vs the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers during the sub-prime mortgage (SPM) crisis in the mid to late 2000's. KTM was a pesky gnat globally to the Japanese manufacturers in the early-mid 2000's. The SPM crisis hit. The world economy went into a huge recession. The Japanese retracted on all fronts, as most did during the time. They didn't shut down like Covid, but close. At the same time KTM literally doubled their R&D & marketing spend. It was a huge risk, but they took it. By the end of the SPM crisis, KTM wasn't a gnat any longer. They made the jump to get on level with the Japanese and have since become a leader in some market categories.

The similarity to me is 1) if the predictions are accurate - does Canyon see and agree with those too? And if they do, 2) are they doubling down setting themselves up to jump levels? They're not as far off the "top" brands today. Certainly nothing near the gap between them and the top of the cycling market like KTM was to the Japanese back when. It will be interesting to see it play out over the coming few years.
Interesting KTM comparison.
I got one in '98 390SX, then a '13 RC8R.
Yeah, the company was different, come to think of it.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are top brand. Full stop.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She’s with On shoes too. Wow On and Canyon are spending money. My gf just bought a pair of On and they look incredible. Not sure on Canyon bikes because I’ve only heard horror stories about the long and never ending wait in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting since they have a hard time actually selling bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a Canyon MTB and Roadie but Speedmax CFR & SLX are Vaporware in the U.S. Been trying to give them my money for 2 years...

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lehrn2Lose wrote:

Hard time making enough bikes to meet demand, just to be clear that the issue isn't having bikes in inventory that they can't sell.

A manufacturer would likely rather have the former problem than the latter. Though both are legit problems.
Quote Reply
Re: [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
Have a Canyon MTB and Roadie but Speedmax CFR & SLX are Vaporware in the U.S. Been trying to give them my money for 2 years...

A friend of mine sold his tri bike to buy Speedmax. Guess what Canyon bike never arrived so he didn’t race. He eventually got the bike after 2 years of waiting.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Lehrn2Lose wrote:

Hard time making enough bikes to meet demand, just to be clear that the issue isn't having bikes in inventory that they can't sell.

A manufacturer would likely rather have the former problem than the latter. Though both are legit problems.

You are correct, they don’t have a lot of inventory collecting dust which is better than the alternative, but I’ll stand on a limb here and say they would sell a lot more bikes if they could get them in stock. There are people literally buying other brands because they are sick of the dates pushing. I'm glad if they're hitting their projected numbers but they could be crushing those numbers especially with all the doom and gloom being projected elsewhere. I'm not sure if it is Shimano/SRAM or frames but across their lineup they are having issues supplying the US market. I was looking at getting an Aeroad but I’m not willing to chase their delivery dates.
Last edited by: Lehrn2Lose: Feb 1, 23 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The “date pushing” is literally inexcusable IMO! Bad business and makes Canyon look like they have no clue to what they are doing.. I’ve talked to countless customer service agents at Canyon and they are completely embarrassed about the situation. As far as the supply chain goes, likely more of a Shimano issue than Sram but they don’t seem to have issues with components for Gravel, Road, MTB… Been looking hard at Cervelo, Argon but would really love to get a SLX
or CFR. With today’s logistics, Canyon should know exactly when and where all inventory sits yet they give zero transparency to their customers..

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George Hincapie now on a Ventum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised that took so long, listening to his podcast with LA and Ventum are one of their sponsors/partners.
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you the On deal is down to the fact she's now managed by the same team as the Norwegians
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon now putting coffee in their paint and calling it a Frodissimo special edition. It is April 1st?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never seen a company win the marketing game so hard, yet have zero product to sell, at least in NA. They say a speedmax cfr is about a month out from being in stock, but it's said that since last summer. They just keep pushing the dates.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon laps up the cream [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
Never seen a company win the marketing game so hard, yet have zero product to sell, at least in NA.

Maybe in tri, but I see Canyons all over the place on trails and on the road. So it must be more than zero.
Quote Reply

Prev Next