Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canyon VS LBS dilemma
Quote | Reply
This is a bit of a existential question, but I'd like some input

So I'm in the market for a new bike. They bike the checks all my boxes is the Canyon Aeroad. My problem is I have a local bike shop that I'm a big fan of. I've ridden for their team before know the guys in there, and they've helped me out a bunch over the years. They do have some bikes in the same category, but honestly I just think the Canyon is the best bike for me. I feel like I'm cheating (haha) on them if I buy a Canyon over a brand they carry. I'm sure I'm not the only person that's had this battle, but curious to know what you all think about it or what conclusion you came to.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't think twice about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for getting the Canyon. You’ll need them for repairs so that should make them happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I do. I own 3 Canyon bikes and I am very happy with them. Also, my LBS gets excited when I bring it for repairs, tuneups, etc. They don't get to see that bike everyday, and I've own Canyons for the past 4 years, so they know my preference, and they appreciate my support.

I don't see the problem, TBH. Margins for LBS on bikes are getting thinner every year, so it's not that you're killing them with your decision. (a completely different story is if you buy everything else online. THAT will kill them for sure)

Hope this helps!

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by my LBS that they don't make much on bike purchases. Maybe a couple hundred after building up the bike. Theh said they make a ton off of apparel and accessories. So I always try to buy small items from them.

So I'd buy the canyon and then go pick up a couple cages from your LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a bike you like.
And you can always leave a generous tip or send a gift to a LBS to support them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of this is because I do almost all my own maintenance, but I don't understand why people feel like they owe a bike shop anything. If i'm paying you to do work, I'd expect they'll do just as good a job as they would to anyone else's, completely outside of any personal relationship. If the crew at the bike shop decides to stop being friends with you over this bike purchase, they really werent your friends anyway. Buy the bike you like, ride lots, have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only person you need to do the best for is yourself.

It’s as simple as that.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Part of this is because I do almost all my own maintenance, but I don't understand why people feel like they owe a bike shop anything. If i'm paying you to do work, I'd expect they'll do just as good a job as they would to anyone else's, completely outside of any personal relationship. If the crew at the bike shop decides to stop being friends with you over this bike purchase, they really werent your friends anyway. Buy the bike you like, ride lots, have fun!

it's not necessarily owing them something, it's considering whether it is important to you that the business exists. If you are truly self sufficient and keep adequate spares of everything on hand, it is undoubtedly cheaper to buy everything on-line and do all your own repairs. However, if you may need help at times or may need some kind of emergency repair or part, it's great to have a LBS available and its only available if the community supports it. I definitely try to buy some items from them (that I know they stock) that I could probably buy cheaper on-line. Likewise, I have them do some repair work I could do myself, but honestly some of it is a PITA, so in addition to giving them some business, I'm also giving myself a break. For most of us (pretty well off), its not such a hardship to pay above the lowest possible price we can find to support our local economy and our friends and neighbors in the community.

There needs to be a critical mass of business for them to survive. As you say, I would expect a professional to do a professional job on any work they accept, but I also understand that if a professional cannot find enough work to do, they may take up an alternate profession.

And to the original point, they usually make much higher margins on accessories and clothing than bikes. So buy the bike you need (because honestly, even good shops usually only carry select brands, so even if you are loyal its not always easy to buy a bike from your favorite shop) and support the shop with smaller purchases and repair work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be in the market for a new bike in a couple years. My lbs is baffled by areobars so it’s a long drive to anywhere I can get tri stuff done anyhow. Canyon is in my top 3 for sure. The only advantage of the LBS is when you bring it in they might turn a bolt free of charge since you just dropped a huge sum of money there. If you’re someone that can change their own chain and cables go Canyon for sure. If you can’t be trusted to change your own tire might want to look at the LBS.

I actually had to go to out of my way to a place that specializes in all tri equipment (where I bought the bike years ago) just to get a decent tune up. So depending on what the LBS has for deals and leftovers a good chance I’d go Canyon (although I love the felt B series) anyhow since my LBS is more like a drive an hour awayBS.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to buy a new mtb. Its between the bike the shop can get me, which is an awesome bike or go through Canyon.

Canyon has a few better components but I'll probably go with the bike from the shop.

It's a dual suspension, so more moving parts, more chances of needing parts or adjustments so I'll go with the bike the shop has.

Canyon is out of rear derailleur hangers, something I'd buy an extra of if I went with them.

I also think the shop will be on my side for warranty issues. If I went through Canyon. I'd be on my own.

If it was a road bike I might be more open to Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
csb146 wrote:

So I'm in the market for a new bike. They bike the checks all my boxes is the Canyon Aeroad. My problem is I have a local bike shop that I'm a big fan of. I've ridden for their team before know the guys in there, and they've helped me out a bunch over the years. They do have some bikes in the same category, but honestly I just think the Canyon is the best bike for me. I feel like I'm cheating (haha) on them if I buy a Canyon over a brand they carry. I'm sure I'm not the only person that's had this battle, but curious to know what you all think about it or what conclusion you came to.

This is your answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
csb146 wrote:

This is your answer.

Agreed + I've got a Aeroad CF SLX and it is great!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same boat to a T.

I'm leaning towards the Canyon, but as mentioned, I'll buy a power meter plus all other items from my LBS and they'll be doing all the work on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you buying a power meter from a bike shop?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I get your views on this type of issue, but even as someone that has done full bike builds and maintains a double digit fleet of bikes, I am really grateful for being able to physically go into a bike shop and get stuff. And for that to continue then it means I need to spend some serious money there. So that means that in order to get a bolt to hold my DA bar end shifter lever the week before a race when it fell off whilst training, it meant I bought my quarq from them too, then so be it. Equally, when I wanted a new helmet, I was grateful there were 2 stores in town to be able to try on and check fits, and then I bought from them. Quite often I even order stuff through them, making sure they get the trade. One of the shops does a lot of work in supporting our tri-club, both with prizes for events, but also providing the mechanics and vehicles to do the on-course bike repairs. Each year they run a maintainence session The other shops sponsors several of the clubs top athletes, including juniors, elites and masters.

Now I don't say no-one should ever buy on-line. I do when I just can't get what I want locally (Ie the silca speedwax, hiro chuck or my de soto kit, LG-7 helmet and yes, paying all the import duty too). But for me tri is part of community, and I'm happy to support where I can.

And in terms of powermeter - I was grateful when I had the dreaded chaindrop of death on my first ride on the Quarq that I was able to just drop it back to the shop and then pick it up with a brand new quarq spider on there a week later. If I'd bought direct, or anywhere online, then I would have offset any cost savings with the time it would have taken me to sort.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy a power meter online, save a few hundred dollars, and have it installed by a bike shop if you aren't mechanically inclined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You can buy a power meter online, save a few hundred dollars, and have it installed by a bike shop if you aren't mechanically inclined.

Indeed. Or just buy that with the bike through the bike shop. I've found the prices quoted for things like that to actually match that for direct purchase anyway - as they are special order then the shop isn't carrying stock. Will vary place to place, but for me then it's been the same price last twice as I could get them as standalone, but with simplified ordering / support. As I say, a few hundred dollars (actually non existent saving) is a lot less than my time would have 'cost' sorting out the failure and postage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy from the LBS. you wont regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitly got for the LBS!

Once you drove a lot of bikes you´ll now that it dosn´t matter that much what groupset is on your bike or how deep your rims are. It is only about the the fit and the comfort. The bike needs to suit you. How could you possible know that a Canyon bike is the right choice? You can only see the bikes on a website. There is no testride and only a chatbot or hotline that could help you. But they never never saw you, they don´t know about your fitness or flexibility.

I know the Canyon marketing is tempting especially since you get a good aero bike with an Ultegra while other brands offer a similiar bike but "only" with a 105 for the same price.

But you´ll be better on a 10 year alu bike if it is the right size, seating postion and components for you.
Always better than a random bike from a webpage.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How could you possible know that a Canyon bike is the right choice?"

Get a proper bike fit and see if the Canyon's geometry works for you.

But of course, you would want to do that before buying any bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After all the input I'm going to go with the Canyon. I do almost all of my own work anyone, unless I'm feeling lazy. I'll still purchase all my accessories at my LBS, and I'm not worried about the fit. I've had several fits from my LBS and have all the measurements from those fits that all line up with the Canyon bike I'll be buying.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you purchase the accessories from a bike shop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why would you purchase the accessories from a bike shop?

Broken record

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon VS LBS dilemma [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike shops are on the verge of becoming service centers because online stores are taking over the parts business.
Quote Reply

Prev Next