Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speemax vs Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
Hi, total n00b here. I been riding in aero postiontion for the past 6 months mounting aerobar and forward saddle on an endurance bike and now, after research and reading this website, I came to a point where I found two options for my next bike, but I don't know which one to choose, and given that I cannot try neither of them I would like to ask the experts here what your opinions between

A) ~$3,700 Nearly new Speed Concept 2020 XL [from a trusted user] with HED JET disc and 9 front: https://www.trekbikes.com/...eed-concept/p/22054/
I never ridden a disc before, but I mostly ride on flat so I don't see any problem with that (as long as the wind is not crazy strong).

B) ~$4,100 Canyon Speedmax 2020 L . Also used, but almost new: https://www.canyon.com/...cf-8.0-di2/2140.html

Both bikes are out of my initial budget of $3,000 but I am trying to sell my older bike and eat beans for a while to save up the extra cash needed.

The pro and cons I seen so far is that Trek is a very reputable brand and if the bike breaks or I decide to sell it would be easier to find pars or buyers. Also it comes with 2 sets of wheels, even though the idea of riding a disk is something that gives me mixed feeling. I normally ride around flat areas, and sometime up and down the surrounding hills, but nothing with a crazy incline, so the disk could be beneficial, thoughts ?

The Advantage of Canyon is that comes with Di2 and although has only one set of wheels they seem to be more multi-purpose. Di2 was recommended for tri-bikes, as you can shift gears on both brake handles and aero bars.

They both have ultegra 52/36 but another difference is that TREK has a integrated brake and headset, which makes it look awesome and very aero, but since I need to take off the wheel and tilt my handlebar to fit my current bike in the car I wonder if is more difficult that a regular caliper like the Canyon one.

Any thoughts ? would you go for a Canyon with Di2 or a Trek with disc (plus training wheels). Have you ridden any of these bikes ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because unfortunately I cannot see these bikes or test ride them before the purchase, but I have done a fitting session and I know either bike would fit my sizes

Last edited by: diegotrazzi: Jun 15, 20 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speemax vs Trek Speed Concept [diegotrazzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the bikes themselves as I've never ridden either, but I don't get too wrapped up in Di2. It's a novelty. A nice novelty, but a novelty none the less. It won't make you any faster and the ability to change gears in both positions isn't that big of a deal (it is super convenient though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are others who have more expertise to help you, but as an owner of a Speed Concept I’d offer a few bits. As to riding a full disc in the back, I have repeatedly found the bike to be more stable with my Super 9 than with my Enve 6.7 rear (I keep the 6 on). In addition to racing I have done 3-4 hour training rides with the disc. Also consider the cockpit for both. I did not like the mono bar and it didn’t suit my fit so I had to get the adaptor and add extensions. With a bottle cage mounted between my arms I find the front end bulky and not well sorted. Just some thoughts. Both are excellent bikes. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Speed Concept that had mechanical shifting, that I later converted to Di2. The Di2 is more than a luxury on a TT bike and is pretty expensive to add later, as I did. Assuming both bikes fit you, I would lean towards the Canyon for this reason alone.

As for riding a disc wheel, it will make the bike more stable in cross winds, not less. I have a Flo carbon disc wheel that I leave on my Speed Concept because I'm too lazy to switch it out, so I'm that guy who rides a disc wheel on his weekend long rides.

Also keep in mind that, while the Speed Concept has a large range of adjustment, that often requires buying new parts with different fit dimensions and changing them out. You can't just remove spacers or flip the stem like on a road bike to raise / lower the front end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
diegotrazzi wrote:
......but since I need to take off the wheel and tilt my handlebar to fit my current bike in the car I wonder if is more difficult that a regular caliper like the Canyon one.

I would say Trek especially with the two wheelsets included, HOWEVER, no, you cannot simply tilt the handlebars on the trek to fit it in your car. Maybe I am misunderstanding?
Very easy to remove the wheel from the trek, no different than any other bike. But if you literally mean you need to adjust your handlebars every time you put it in your car, no that would not be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for the Trek. First, in basic trim, it is probably a faster frame and cockpit than the Canyon. Throw in the wheels, and it is eons faster. I have a set of HED disc/9 wheels as my everyday wheels on my bike. Riding a rear disc is not a concern.

It would cost you more to upgrade the wheels on the Canyon than Di2 on the Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own the Canyon. It's amazing- highly adjustable and high quality.
Di2 on a Tri bike is more than a luxury, it's definitely a game changer, and that alone would sway me.
You can always buy a Disc wheel down the line- however the expense of upgrading to Di2 from mechanical is quite large, as well as annoying.

Someone posted about the wheels making the trek 'eons' faster. Would have to disagree. The DT Swiss wheels are very high quality and very fast. 62mm front and 80mm rear and have glowing reviews from everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Owned a Trek SC and built it up myself from mech to Di2 and can vouch for the SC; its a fast bike and you can always upgrade to Di2 later. Assuming you fit both bikes. the SC is the faster bike; its basically up there with the P5 if you can dial it in. If you sell the training wheels and the old groupo and pocket the 400$ difference, you can likely upgrade to Di2 later with throwing in a bit of extra cash and you now have one of the fasted bikes on the market (hitting at or above much more expensive super bikes) for basically the same price as the Canyon, with Di2.

You should be aware though that the integration of the front end of the SC is a bit of a pain to work on and the mechanical drive-train makes changing positions and such quite time intensive, but again for the price you really cant beat it and if you are willing to do your own wrenching/learn how to do it, you can save a ton of money and get a stupidly fast bike to boot. All TT bikes suck to work on though and unless you get a very expensive rig, you have to just live with it (Cheap, top performance/specs, engineering design/ease of maintenance; pick 2)

Never rode the Canyon but I would pick the SC over the Canyon any day for performance alone. Also note that as another poster mentioned, you will need to get small parts to fiddle around with the fit. You can change the pitch of the cockpit but the mono plug in is way better than the mono extensions. If you are performance orientated I would go for the SC. If you want an easier bike to work on, you can get a cheaper bike or go for the Canyon; traditional fork design, cockpit and exposed standard brakes are easier to maintain and work on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have not ridden Di2 yet, i'd go with the Trek. I agree with Di2 being a luxury, but I will never buy a non-Di2 (or maybe etap) bike again now that I have ridden it.

I own that same model Speedmax, its a great bike and it is very easy to work on since most parts are standard vs. proprietary/integrated. Training wheels are cheap - I bought a pair of Shimano RS100 wheels for $135.

However, in my opinion, the front end on the Canyon sucks - messy cabling and standard clip on aerobars are annoying to adjust. Every time I would see a Trek SC in transition I would be immediately jealous of the front end. I recently upgraded to a Tririg Alpha One, which is worlds better; but, at that point the price difference doesn't make much sense vs. the Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speemax vs Trek Speed Concept [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mate got a speedmax at about the same time I got a SC and we have ridden each others bikes. They are both very similar. I like my SC front end a bit more and the aero brakes v his normal mount brakes. But overall both great bikes we train about the same, race about the watts and get about the same time splits so I call it even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Di2 SC and have ridden some fast times on it.

But I would get a fit and figure out which bike is for you. A few hundred dollars now will save you a lot of potential headaches in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speemax vs Trek Speed Concept [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
The front end on the Canyon sucks - messy cabling and standard clip on aerobars are annoying to adjust. Every time I would see a Trek SC in transition I would be immediately jealous of the front end. I recently upgraded to a Tririg Alpha One, which is worlds better; but, at that point the price difference doesn't make much sense vs. the Trek.
I'd argue that your Alpha One is by far the easiest setup to adjust, of any front end on the market, bar none. In most cases, it's not a price premium compared to an integrated front end. But even if/when it is, I'd argue its value proposition makes it worth the premium.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speemax vs Trek Speed Concept [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I have a Di2 SC and have ridden some fast times on it.

But I would get a fit and figure out which bike is for you. A few hundred dollars now will save you a lot of potential headaches in the future.

This is the wisest answer. Get a fit first, and then have the fitter tell you which bike fits you best. Get this wrong and you're in for big issues.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
diegotrazzi,

Please, please hear this. The fit matters more than anything. Discussing a disc or aero-ness of the bike or Di2 vs mechanical before fit is a bit like saying you have a hang nail, spinach in your teeth, and a pimple that you need to deal with before you can address the fact that your femoral artery is cut badly and blood is gushing out at an alarming rate.

Where do you live? Let's see if we have a quality fitter in your area where you can be fit BEFORE you buy. Understand that the fit will (should) be expensive (maybe $300) and that when you're finished not only will you know which bike to buy, not only will you know what front end you'll need (on the Trek or the Canyon), but you'll all have the entire fit finished: seat height, set back, arm pad elevation, cockpit distance, pad width, aerobar tilt, etc. etc.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply