Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend
Quote | Reply
Let's say that someone is hypothetically 6'0" with a 33.5" inseam, slightly more legs than torso. Usually rides a bike with a frame stack and reach of 540/425 and has a current pad stack and reach of about 610/500.

Would the size M (medium) make the most sense for both the Canyon and TriRig?

... for a friend.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 13, 18 5:36
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No he is a L on the Canyon. I’m 5’10” with a 30” inseam and I am well fit on a Medium. I had to remove the 175mm crank the M comes with and drop to a 170. The L also comes with a 175.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully Dan or Cyclenutz (?) will chime in. If the pad x/y for your 'friend' are correct...

The way I read the chart, it looks like medium TriRig omni with the bars 'just' in the undermount position would work for your 'friend'.

And the way I read the chart, it looks like medium Speedmax puts your 'friend' more in the center of the adjustment ranges of the Medium. Canyon provides saddle height info too, so that could be considered.

Used to be easier to make a small bike big as opposed to a big bike small, but with integrated front ends, that has all changed. Again, assumes your pad stack/reach measurements are correct. I've never fit anyone on either of those bikes, and one of the fitters who is more versed with pad x/y may be better suited to answering.

You might also go to Velogic fit as they have a couple of free tools that might help...no association or affiliation at all.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandon, I was at Canyon last Sunday and Jay spoke to us about the sizing chart online. I would NOT rely on it and he said as much. We had a few Team Zoot Captains order smalls based on the size chart and they all have had to switch to medium.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I come up with a medium using the flat bar (570-625) with the short stem (462-516) to give him a good adjustable range if the Canyon geometry has not been changed since last year.

Edit: Looking at the large, you could fit on it but you wouldn't have too much room to move back and up should your fit change in those directions.

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Last edited by: al-gorithm: Apr 13, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You left that out of your previous post. It's a jump to say I ride this, you're on this. Given the information available to him and everyone else, GMAN is a medium. But I see your point.

Edit to add. I have done a fit on a Canyon. I can't remember the size, but I think that it was purchased from someone who had brought it from Europe. Getting extra/spare parts for a retro-fit was a PITA for the person.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Apr 13, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OR, you could buy my Dimond with a P5-3 fork SUPER CHEAP and know that it's going to fit perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Brandon, I was at Canyon last Sunday and Jay spoke to us about the sizing chart online. I would NOT rely on it and he said as much. We had a few Team Zoot Captains order smalls based on the size chart and they all have had to switch to medium.

100% The chart and their fit calculator told me I needed a small and I definitely needed a medium. I'm 5'8.5.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because of the stack or reach?

Take Bryan. He's only 2" shorter than GMAN, but his inseam is 3.5" shorter. You could math out that Bryan's torso is still longer than GMAN's depending on their individual morphology.

I'm not saying a Large isn't the right size. Given the info, it could be large or medium depending on the (in)accuracy of the fit chart for the Canyon, and depending on where in the adjustment range GMAN wants to go.

It's also possible that Bryan, who might have a 1.5" longer torso than GMAN fits well on the medium...therefore GMAN might also.

Amy, my wife, is 5'8". I am 5'9". When we raced, we both rode 54cm P4s and then P5s. She later went to a 51cm P5 because of the reach. I could have also ridden a 56cm P5. Again, I'm not saying that a large is not the right size for GMAN, I'm saying that it depends, and until better measurements are provided for the bike in question, it's not enough to say 5'9" with 30" inseam = medium, therfore, 6'0" with 33.5" inseam = large. Or 5'8.5".

Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Apr 13, 18 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size L for both

The GMAN wrote:
Let's say that someone is hypothetically 6'0" with a 33.5" inseam, slightly more legs than torso. Usually rides a bike with a frame stack and reach of 540/425 and has a current pad stack and reach of about 610/500.

Would the size M (medium) make the most sense for both the Canyon and TriRig?

... for a friend.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
OR, you could buy my Dimond with a P5-3 fork SUPER CHEAP and know that it's going to fit perfectly!

My friend already has a Dimond. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, that's just backward thinking.

Because you have ONE bike has nothing to do with whether or not you need another one just like it.

I personally ALWAYS feel better when I show up to a race with a fully built and ready to rock backup bike in the event that I flat or crash right before an event.

Did I mention SUPER CHEAP?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stack is fine, but I have maxed out my reach and I think I would benefit from the ability to go a bit longer. I don’t know my more specific body measurements, but all my fitters have told I’m more torso than legs.

I’m gathering (from generalized perspective) that simply fit numbers aren’t always enough and I didn’t take that into consideration when I purchased my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the 3 year cycle of the dimond already up? That flew by.....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan has written about what to expect from a fitter and what numbers you should get. I will admit that I do not provide pad x/y or bar x/y when someone gets a fit. Mainly because most are getting a fit on an existing bike and are not looking to change. I have done enough to know what I am doing, and if someone wants those numbers I can get them.

But, if they want numbers from a 3D motion capture and/or a fit bike fit and print-out...I'll send them to Trent at TriShop in Plano/Dallas.

If the fit measurements/numbers are good from your bike and from the bike in question, I see no reason you can't buy a bike one day (or week) and race it the next. But, some of that assumes that the numbers that have been provided to you are good AND that the numbers you are using to select a size of bike are accurate.

Ha...got the PM. Yeah, you're pretty maxed out on reach...seems super far forward though maybe not far enough?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle height from BB is about 790 mm.

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Nope. Still has another year!

I'm not giving up the Dimond. Just thinking in a n+1 kind of way.

Er... I mean my friend isn't giving up his Dimond.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-JBMarshTX wrote:
Because of the stack or reach?

Take Bryan. He's only 2" shorter than GMAN, but his inseam is 3.5" shorter. You could math out that Bryan's torso is still longer than GMAN's depending on their individual morphology.

I'm not saying a Large isn't the right size. Given the info, it could be large or medium depending on the (in)accuracy of the fit chart for the Canyon, and depending on where in the adjustment range GMAN wants to go.

It's also possible that Bryan, who might have a 1.5" longer torso than GMAN fits well on the medium...therefore GMAN might also.

Amy, my wife, is 5'8". I am 5'9". When we raced, we both rode 54cm P4s and then P5s. She later went to a 51cm P5 because of the reach. I could have also ridden a 56cm P5. Again, I'm not saying that a large is not the right size for GMAN, I'm saying that it depends, and until better measurements are provided for the bike in question, it's not enough to say 5'9" with 30" inseam = medium, therfore, 6'0" with 33.5" inseam = large. Or 5'8.5".

Are you calling me short, fat, or both? ;)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
stevej wrote:

Just race the specialized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Looks like I need to tune the Alpha One calculation to not use steerer spacers on the Omni, so the rise would be a little higher than that.

Note that I assumed your stated pad X was to centre, so took off 40mm for the search.
Before you base any decisions on the above, we'd need to know if your friends Pad XY is based on the bars being tilted or not. The level of tilt in the Dimond pics you've shown would change the numbers above quite a bit and may invalidate the Canyon
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Apr 13, 18 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Usually rides a bike with a frame stack and reach of 540/425 and has a current pad stack and reach of about 610/500

Assuming this is to the center of the pad?

Canyon:

There are 7 pad fore/aft positions per stem length. I'd call them -3,-2,-1,0,+1, +2, +3.

Medium: w/ 40mm spacers and pads positioned right in the center of the bar (position 0) w/ the stock 65mm stem.
Large: w/ ~25mm spacers and pads pulled back towards you between position -1 and -2. The -2 position leaves you ~3mm short and the position -1 leaves you ~10mm long

I don't know how you look on a bike, but I'd be ok with either of these depending on how you like ride.

Tri Rig: Medium

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:
Usually rides a bike with a frame stack and reach of 540/425 and has a current pad stack and reach of about 610/500

Assuming this is to the center of the pad?

Canyon:

There are 7 pad fore/aft positions per stem length. I'd call them -3,-2,-1,0,+1, +2, +3.

Medium: w/ 40mm spacers and pads positioned right in the center of the bar (position 0) w/ the stock 65mm stem.
Large: w/ ~25mm spacers and pads pulled back towards you between position -1 and -2. The -2 position leaves you ~3mm short and the position -1 leaves you ~10mm long

I don't know how you look on a bike, but I'd be ok with either of these depending on how you like ride.

Tri Rig: Medium

And in the Speedmax Large or Medium you get a 175mm crank, no substitutions.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

Looks like I need to tune the Alpha One calculation to not use steerer spacers on the Omni, so the rise would be a little higher than that.

Note that I assumed your stated pad X was to centre, so took off 40mm for the search.
Before you base any decisions on the above, we'd need to know if your friends Pad XY is based on the bars being tilted or not. The level of tilt in the Dimond pics you've shown would change the numbers above quite a bit and may invalidate the Canyon

Thanks! I also just saw that PM you shot me about the PD plug. Sorry I missed that.

Yes, I have the bars tilted at max on the Aeria, in addition to the Zipp Vuka EVO extensions which allow an even higher hand position. Did the same with the TriRig Alpha X I had on the bike before. How does that swing your fit calcs?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
stevej wrote:

What happened to the SC - is it on backup duty?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax and TriRig Omni sizing... asking for a friend [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sold it like three years ago.

Quote Reply

Prev Next