Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I'd want an all black or at least something other than this color. I have a white bike & won't ever buy another white bike...they keep the grease and marks showing up for years to come. Not sure why Canyon doesn't have at least a nude carbon look or black as an option. Guessing Lange had a custom paint job...options would at least be a step forward for me on that.


A man after my own heart. I too would have chosen the black bike if I one were offered.

Jan's bike is a complete custom paint job that matches his Frodissimo branding. Primarily a white bike, thin red racing strip along the bottom of the top tube, and trimmed in purple/blue. Beautiful machine if you are not the one washing it!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another part I don't understand is why anyone would go the sram version which is much more heavier and much more expensive?

The SLX Di2 seems to be a no brainier..?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also looking forward to seeing their new UCI legal bike (which has reportedly been delayed). I'm hoping it might provide more data-based reference points to their other current or previous bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that bottles on the down tubes are an aero penalty. The chrono élite and few others like it are an exception depending on the bike. BTA depending on how you do it can come in at a zero aero cost. Other than ascetics, which I can argue are important when buying a bike, internal water storage is not a deal breaker aero wise. I'm not bagging on internal H2O storage at all. I just don't place a lot of importance on it when long course racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always struggled with the elite chronos bottle...wet hands, 180km brain fog, general lack of coordination in any circumstance :) :) :)

But you are right...having the right fuel/hydration for the distance will offset the aero penalty if not on bike speed, then certainly on run speed!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
The thing is a rocket!

After taking it out of the box and riding around the parking lot lionels first words when he rolled up was “I’m going to f$@in destroy these guys”. Night and day difference.


PTO..........this quote didn't live long.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you got the Canyon?

I am still torn and waiting to see if we finally see a new speed concept.

Having bought and sold the shiv disc after 4 rides I am a little more gun shy.

I wish canyon had copied the front end of the cervelo, would have made the decision easier. If I could get the Scott for the price of the Canyon I would buy the Scott. I still think the Cerevlo P5D may be the best deal out there, as you can negotiate discounts and have dealer support for any issues.

Need a sponsorship deal in 2021 from someone! lol

#decisions

2023: unknown
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
talbotcox wrote:
The thing is a rocket!

After taking it out of the box and riding around the parking lot lionels first words when he rolled up was “I’m going to f$@in destroy these guys”. Night and day difference.



PTO..........this quote didn't live long.

So the 3rd fastest bike split @ over 30mph in the men's field is a failure?

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May I ask why you sold the Shiv Disc? Also waiting for Trek to move but considering the Shiv as the Canyon won't work with this shorter reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but this is a triathlon you still have to run. He came in 4th. I like the guy but there is a difference in performance and marketing hype.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
So you got the Canyon?

I am still torn and waiting to see if we finally see a new speed concept.

Having bought and sold the shiv disc after 4 rides I am a little more gun shy.

I wish canyon had copied the front end of the cervelo, would have made the decision easier. If I could get the Scott for the price of the Canyon I would buy the Scott. I still think the Cerevlo P5D may be the best deal out there, as you can negotiate discounts and have dealer support for any issues.

Need a sponsorship deal in 2021 from someone! lol

#decisions

Go on then, why did you sell it so fast ?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t wait for a new Trek to come, at least not for ‘21 and tbh i would be surprised if they ever will bring out a new disc equipped tri bike.
My guess is they hold on to the current SC for as long as it reasonable sells and take the C’dale route and depart from triathlon.
If they still would have a serious interest in tri that launch should have been done.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belgian_Waffle wrote:
May I ask why you sold the Shiv Disc? Also waiting for Trek to move but considering the Shiv as the Canyon won't work with this shorter reach.

The Shiv Disc: this is just my 2 cents on it and everyone I am sure would have a different thought.........

My personal issues with it:
- base bar was to wide for me
- felt clunky in daily riding: sure it would have been fine for racing
- did not like the overall feel of the ride of the bike: I ride my bike a lot and need to like how it feels and feel confident in the bike, I just did not feel that with the shiv.... I am sure plenty of people would disagree with me but thats how it felt to me.
- to truly get the front end how I wanted it would have had to look at the aftermarket and had been looking at speedbar: was at a cross roads of put 3k more into the bike and be stuck with it and maybe get something the felt better or cut my loses more on and see what else comes out.

I have sold the Shiv and one of my Speed Concepts.... have a road bike and one speed concept left now.

2023: unknown
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would think that Trek already knows if it will reasonably sell by 2022 which I'm assuming is "no" and assuming the market doesn't change trajectory. I personally think that disc brakes are unnecessary on a tri bike but I see where the market is headed and so can Trek. They either have a new Speed Concept up their sleeves or like you said going to get out of the business. I don't think that sales of the current SC will matter because they will only go down because regardless of my opinion disc brakes on a tri bikes are the new normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc is unnecessary unless it is your only bike and you live somewhere where breaking power does make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
One would think that Trek already knows if it will reasonably sell by 2022 which I'm assuming is "no" and assuming the market doesn't change trajectory. I personally think that disc brakes are unnecessary on a tri bike but I see where the market is headed and so can Trek. They either have a new Speed Concept up their sleeves or like you said going to get out of the business. I don't think that sales of the current SC will matter because they will only go down because regardless of my opinion disc brakes on a tri bikes are the new normal.

I used to think the same till I started riding disc.... and while I did not love the shiv disc I did love the disc part of the shiv. For me its kinda like crack....

2023: unknown
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you to toothengineer.

Literally everyone I know, including friends who HATED disc brakes, changed their tune after riding disc brakes for a while.

I've tried a few bikes with disc brakes, and enjoyed them, but still comfortable on both my rim brake bikes. Now that my tri bike will be disc, I am interested to see how extended riding on discs changes my feelings about my rim brakes on my Scott Foil.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked P5, over 10K for similar config as 2021 CF SLX which is $8K....
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
No but this is a triathlon you still have to run. He came in 4th. I like the guy but there is a difference in performance and marketing hype.

Sorry for continuing offtopic. A very good point actually to look at the bike+run combo. Where does Sanders end up in this category?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [AlexB78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexB78 wrote:
I just checked P5, over 10K for similar config as 2021 CF SLX which is $8K....

Yes, it's still a good deal when we compare the parts list. But people were just caught off guard because the bargain shrunk quite a bit relative to the old model. Though, this bike does seem $2K better than the last model. Really well thought out.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [mart1n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mart1n wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
No but this is a triathlon you still have to run. He came in 4th. I like the guy but there is a difference in performance and marketing hype.


Sorry for continuing offtopic. A very good point actually to look at the bike+run combo. Where does Sanders end up in this category?

He ends up 1st. He had the fastest bike/run split that day.

People say this like 4th is bad in that field... I think everyone in the top 5-10 of a stacked race deserves kudos
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I suspected aswell. :)
I think it lived up to the hype quite nicely, tbh.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said I hated disc brakes. I said they are unnecessary on a tri bike but, again, I see where the market is going and I have no aversions to that. I will continue with my rim brake bike until it comes to the point that is can no longer be maintained and make the switch. I'm in no rush because right now disc do not make a bike faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [TriBoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBoom wrote:
Canyon might not be the most innovative brand but I was always really happy with the price. But the new Speedmax is now as expensive as the high end brands which is quite disappointing.
But the thing that sets me up the most is the fact that Canyon just went shopping at all the big brands and copy+paste it on the new Speedmax. I always thought also, that Specialized has a patent on the hydration system in the down tube (that´s why felt wasn´t allowed to use it). Why would Canyon be allowed to use it?







And especially since there are so many other parts that are simply copy+paste. I would expact way more innovations for this amount of money!
Sorry Canyon, but this time I am out.

although you're correct and i was thinking the same thing when the bike was unveiled, if you blatantly steal everything good from every option out there and put it into one attractive package you arguably have the best product out there.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anywhere I can get information about the aerobar pad and grip widths?

From the photos I have seen, it seems that the aero position is too narrow for me, but numbers would help
Quote Reply

Prev Next