Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference?
Quote | Reply
The day has finally come for me to stop riding clip-ons, get a tri bike, and let my road bike be a road bike once again. Primary use for the tri bike is half and full IM.

I am strongly looking at the Canyon line, but I can't figure out why the $1,500 difference between the CF and the CF SLX. The integrated water bottle might be nice, but apparently that can be purchased aftermarket, which I would do. The bars are a little different, but the basic frame seem to be the same with the exception of shrouded brakes. Personally I'm fine with normal brakes, as they will be much easier to service.

I would be fine with purchasing the SLX version, but I can't see any real reason to. Am I missing something here?

Any advice is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You listed most of the differences already. The differences are that the SLX has the following:

Integrated brakes
Integrated flat
Integrated Aerobar
Different fork
Integrated hydration, the one that comes with the SLX does not fit on the CF version.

I bought my SLX before the CF existed so I diden't really have to choose. There isn't a huge difference between the two and like you said the normal brakes are a bit easier to service. I would personally still buy the SLX if I had to choose today because of all the integrated features which makes it a super clean bike. But you won't go $1.500 dollars faster on the SLX compared to the CF. If you have any questions about the SLX I will happily try and answer them.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the U.S. the SLX is just a mythical creature that may appear at the end of next month (not sure which year).
But I am in no sure rush- obviously!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ehr62 wrote:
I am strongly looking at the Canyon line, but I can't figure out why the $1,500 difference between the CF and the CF SLX. .

According to Tour data the difference is ~1min on a flat 70.3
Much of which could be addressed with a hydration upgrade.

It's actually not a bad cost in terms of speed per $ - there are a lot of things that are much higher $ per second.
However - the CF has the advantage of more adjustable bars - potentially allowing you to get into a better position which would wipe away any equipment advantage of the higher model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sizing is different between the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone got some hands on experience with both? There seems to be more to it than just components.
The slx seems to have more reach and stack so allows a more aggressive position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've already received some high quality answers in this thread but I can add a big picture view.

I'm sure someone could argue on behalf of some of the stuff that means little to me (and I suspect to you) - the "carbon layup", the drag of the drag at the rear dropout, and lots of other stuff that to many is minor.

The SLX is a flat out, in-arguable super-bike, and let me define that. A super-bike is a bike where the handlebars are connected to the frame using a proprietary designed "stem". This means you can't just put any old stem (Profile Design, Ritchey, Enve, Thompson, etc) on there and make it work. Because of this the bars (both aero and base) are often OEM too (Original Equipment Manufacture). And the upshot of all that custom stuff is that cables/ewires/hoses are all hidden from view (read: wind). Most super bikes also have brakes that are hidden from the wind. The SLX has only two stems: one short, one a bit longer. It's front brake hides inside the front fork. The rear brake hides under the bottom bracket.

The CF is not a pure "mortal-bike" but it's pretty close. It comes with three stem possibilities from Canyon ,but you could whip out some other brand stem and make it work. It might not sit as flush or sexy to the spacers and the frame but it would still work. The front and rear brakes are visible (mon dieu!)

Yes the hydration system on the SLX is built-in - but one could be added to the CF to make it pretty sleek. And we've seen a post somewhere on here where somebody sly took a Profile Aria Ultimate stem/bar/hydration system and stuck it onto a CF and make it sexy as hell - so there's that.

I'll also say that the new blue on the SLX is very sweet.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. So you're saying even though not a super-bike by this definition because parts are not as integrated as on the SLX the option to fit the CF aggressively and ride it as aerodynamically as the SLX is still somewhat possible? That maybe goes especially for the 2019 model which seems to allow for a lower position than the previous model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference, aside from integration, is of course the geometry. The SLX is a longer and lower bike - in fact, the longest and lowest superbike if you get the long stem and drop bars. At least to my knowledge.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think it was mentioned yet, but the slx has an integrated flat kit storage compartment. CF does not
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
The biggest difference, aside from integration, is of course the geometry. The SLX is a longer and lower bike - in fact, the longest and lowest superbike if you get the long stem and drop bars. At least to my knowledge.

Comparing the geometry (size L) on the website it seems that the stack of the current models is pretty much the same with the CF being able to get higher.

SLX Stack: 628 - 681
CF Stack: 627-714

The reach is quite a bit longer on the SLX.

SLX reach: 498 - 572
CF reach: 488-513

Compared to other tri bikes, like the P5, the CF still seems to be quite a long bike though. Edit: just saw that Cervelo measures the reach to the stem and Canyon's reach goes to the armpads. So it's difficult to compare I guess
Last edited by: cmart: Jan 13, 19 1:06
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CF is made in an XL the CF SLX is not (for whatever reason?!)
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
mortysct wrote:

Comparing the geometry (size L) on the website it seems that the stack of the current models is pretty much the same with the CF being able to get higher.

SLX Stack: 628 - 681
CF Stack: 627-714

The reach is quite a bit longer on the SLX.

SLX reach: 498 - 572
CF reach: 488-513

Compared to other tri bikes, like the P5, the CF still seems to be quite a long bike though. Edit: just saw that Cervelo measures the reach to the stem and Canyon's reach goes to the armpads. So it's difficult to compare I guess

Drop bars means 13mm lower stack or so.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In an attempt to keep things accurate for this thread and for bike fit in general...

#1) There are no longer drop base bars for the SLX. The new, 2019 bike has only a flat bar and a rise bar AND switching from one to the other no longer effects the height of the pads. The 2018 did have a drop bar and moving from rise to flat to drop did effect the pad height.

#2) The mixing of terms - while it's not as dangerous as, say, one doctor asking for a heart to transplant and another doctor handing them a liver, it does create confusion. "Cervelo measures the reach to the stem and Canyon's reach goes to the armpads" This is a common problem and we need to try and stay on top of it. Stack and Reach measures to the top of the frames head tube. Pad Y and Pad X measures to the pad.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experience with both. I bought both bikes in size M and took them to my fitter to figure out which would work better. I kept the SLX.

Th big difference for me was the SLX (stock, without swapping stems and removing the spacer/cutting stem of the CF) is indeed longer and lower. I have orangutan length arms and decent flexibility, so the SLX was a better fit lengthwise and was lower/more aero. I understand you can cut the stem of the CF but then the bento box is in the wind (or you can try to get a smaller one which would be less useful and good luck getting small parts from Canyon... that’s my one major gripe about the company but I digress).

The other major difference for me was pad width. It’s much wider on the CF. That was a plus for the CF for me. I’ve had a lot of difficulty getting the pads on the SLX wide enough for me and have resorted to a somewhat jerry-rigged system of Canyon switch plates and angle brackets to widen the pads which somewhat interferes with the bullhorn grips which is kind of annoying and I may switch to a wider base bar (which wasn’t stocked last time I called Canyon, getting the theme?) (Yes, narow is aero, but comfortable is even faster).

Ultimately, the CF probably would have been easier to dial-in fit because you can use 3rd party parts which are more widely available. The propriety SLX front end is very adjustable and with the right accessories you could probably adjust it however you want (it’s just US Canyon availability of those accessories is spotty).

In terms of adjusting / working on the SLX, I think complaints about working on integrated bike are WAY overblown. If you’ve changed brake pads on a car, changing brake pads on even the most poorly designed super bike is a cinch in comparison. Maybe it takes an extra 10 minutes to remove a couple covers or something and you might have to read the manual the first time you do something, but it doesn’t require an engineering degree as some will have you believe.

I took both for a short test ride and couldn’t tell any difference in frame stiffness, etc. The lower base bars of the SLX made the handling feel much more racey. It’s like the difference between a base 911 and a GT3, both are low and fast, but one feels materially lower/faster. The CF could probably be ridden around on the base bars for a recovery ride. The SLX, not so much, anytime I’m on that bike, I’m going all in.

So net net, I stuck with the SLX and am happy I did. The cable routing is neater. (If you go DI2 on the CF, you have this little rats nest of cables in the bento box which worried me, getting GU gel and going in and out of that all the time). And the bottom line for me is this, I want to get every ounce of speed out of my body as I can. Even though I’m a MOP-ish cyclist, I want to know that on any given day my time is as good as it couple possibly be. I also know myself and any time I compromise to save a few bucks I end up upgrading later anyway for a huge loss in the trade. I’ve never regretting spending more. Some more value-driven people are the opposite and always feel guilty about spending more. So you have to take your own psychology into account. For me personally, I just wanted the “better” bike which the SLX undoubtedly is. Even if you’re value driven, perhaps you could convince yourself since Canyons are 20% or so cheaper than a comparably equipped Cervélo/BMC/etc. the SLX upgrade is “free” by cutting out the middle man.

I’m not a fitter but I think both bikes would probably work for most people. The SLX might require some extra hoops to jump thorough but once you’re through the gauntlet (as I ALMOST am after months of tinkering and waiting on Canyon to get me parts) I think it’s worth it. The CF is probably slightly lower headache especially if the stock configuration could work well for you. If you’ll be switching to an aria stem setup, I’m not sure. You might want to look into how hard it is and how much it will cost you.

Canyon would probably argue otherwise, but given their great return policy, you might as well just order both bike, take both to your fitter like I did and decide for yourself.

Hope that helps....
Last edited by: wintershade: Jan 13, 19 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

cmart,

When you use the word "aggressive" I think you mean low, but maybe you mean long. And..yeah..the CF can get low and long. It is a tri bike after all and while there some tri bikes long/low and some tri bikes are shortish-tallish - we're still talking about a tri bike and not a Specialized Roubaix or a Trek H3 or some other road bike with a head tube as long as Lebron's femur.

The question can never be "can this bike get low and long?" the question always has to be "what is my position and can this bike meet me there?" The first step has to be a pre-fit with a fitter who is educated, experienced, and has a dynamic fit bike. From that comes our Pad Y and Pad X and then we can shop for a bike knowing what we need.

*Caution, rant ahead!

You ask..."can the CF be ridden as aerodynamically as the SLX". I have two answers 1) if you're talking about your body position, then yes. When your body is in your optimum position on the CF it's as aero as when it's in your optimum position on the SLX. 2) Is the CF it's self (standing alone in a wind tunnel) as aero as the SLX standing alone in a wind tunnel with no body on it - nope.

Does that matter? Not really. Here's how I know that doesn't matter. I like the Slowtwitch Forum, but my knowledge does NOT stem from the dense, hallucinogenic fog created by the 27 aero-obsessed fanatics that reside here. I'm a triathlon coach first and foremost and a bike fitter second. I know that a position that is comfortable and powerful is best. I've stood on the side of popular age group races and seen the HUNDREDS of athletes ride by while sitting up on their bull horns on their $5,000 tri bikes and $10,000 super bikes. Up in the wind with their aero helmets. Pushing air with their chests while using some dimpled cleat that claims to save 2 watts. Plowing through the wind at 19mph at threshold while wearing a sleeved, rear-zip, bonded neckline suit that costs $360. I have video of this and it happens all the time.

What athletes need is a good fit. Not more marketing BS about some wheel that has "negative drag". Man that sh*t makes me angry.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, great, thanks for your answer!!
Did you try the CF with removed spacer under the stem to get lower? Is that what you meant? That's when the lower bento box is needed. But yeah.. I guess the SLX is the faster bike.. Damn it, it's hard! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

However - the CF has the advantage of more adjustable bars - potentially allowing you to get into a better position which would wipe away any equipment advantage of the higher model.

there's no way... even with the new subsonic it's still a reach limited narrow-tall bike. The SLX can fit a myriad of positions, often on multiple sized bikes.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 13, 19 10:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I didn’t try it set up that way because it seemed like there was more adjustability with the SLX and that it would be easier to get me in the right position.

From a fit perspective, for me, it was easier to get “close” to perfect with the the SLX, but getting to perfect has been made somewhat difficult only due to limited availability of proprietary parts.

My other suggestion, regardless of which bike you order (including both, as I suggest) is make sure to order pretty much every extra fit accessory Canyon has in stock with the bike and bring this with you to the fitter so you can get as close to perfect in 1 session as possible. You can simply return whatever you don’t need (e.g. longer stem, angle brackets, extra spacers, switch plates, etc).

The SLX is hard to get. I checked the website nearly ever day for months. The fact that it’s kind of rare also had appeal for me, personally. It turns heads much the same as an exotic car. I’ve probably gotten more compliment on that bike than any sports car I’ve owned. The downside is most fitters (at least mine) won’t have worked on the bike (so fit sessions were slow going) another very minor downside.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..."the 27 aero-obsessed fanatics that reside here."

And the rest are aspiring, in that they, one day will be among that magical Round Table of Knowledge...(not pink).
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a bummer, so that fairing that is on the 2019 model does not have storage it is just for looks?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi what is the meaning of "CF and SLX"
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [angelitoy2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CF - carbon fiber
SL - super light. (More factory labor engineering on the frame to reduce weight. Maybe different layups?)
SLX - the premium version with all the best components

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the cf and friends had the slx. In my view almost no weight difference and to make the cf similarly aero add tririg brakes and an integrated bta drink system.

FYI the adjustability of the cf front end and the brakes is simpler for idiots like me, note u can get a lower stem riser and lower bento if u want to drop the basebar and not just the pads but u need to ask for everything when u buy the bike not after. The tiny in frame storage on the slx maybe useful but I think so so. If u want a different bento could maybe get the tohan. The general fit is slightly longer lower on the six but depends on size; width of Basebar from memory c.f. 42cm slx 40cm and six is slightly more slick with rubber handles etc but again nothing so major.

Personally I recommend buy the most basic cf and change out everything to tririg type parts.

Note the mechanical gear shift canyon eats up bottom brackets for some idiotic reason the cable holder fails and u end up cutting the bottom bracket with the gear or brake cable - the paint work on some canyons isn't so great either. The cranks provided are quite long. But other than this it's a great bike. Can't go wrong.
Last edited by: Kipstar: Apr 1, 20 2:15
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF vs. CF SLX - what's the real difference? [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kipstar wrote:
Personally I recommend buy the most basic cf and change out everything to tririg type parts.
You mean like this? :-)

Speedmax CF 8.0 shown with Alpha One bars, Gamma One extensions, dual Omega X brakes, and Delta front cover. Then the TorHans BentoX right behind the bars fits perfectly. Full gallery if you click the image.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next