Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

I have a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0, plus a Biknd inflatable travel case from my old tri bike. As the season starts and I am getting ready to travel internationally with the bike, I just realized that disassembling the handlebars could take me ~45mins and a lot of sweat, just to put it in the box. I don't want to do that twice every time I travel, so...

Is there anybody with the same bike + travel experience around? I just gave Canyon a call, and they recommend the Scicon Aerocomfort for tri bikes... Any ideas for fixed-handlebars bikes?

Thanks!

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it so hard to disassemble the front-end to get it into a box. Doesn't Canyon ship all their bikes 98% pre-assembled in a standard cardboard box with handlebars secured to frame? At least that's how my Ultimate and Aeroad came.

I've considered buying either a Speedmax CF or CF SLX, so I'm very interested in 1) why it's so hard to travel with, and 2) what the ultimate solution is. When I spoke to the rep on the phone, he made it sound like the bars just popped right off and in the box it would go....
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes in a large cardboard bike box, not a “standard” box. Not sure you could travel with it.
Scicon would be my best guess to use.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question!

I spoke with them today as well and, you are partially right. The bars will drop right off on a Speedmax CF. However, the SLX has the stem integrated to the bike's frame, so they said it takes their mechanics like 45 mins to disassemble that.

I have the Biknd Jetpack case, but a friend just sent me pictures of his SLX inside my box, so I will give this a try during the weekend.

The hard part is a bunch of cables, and screws that are too close to the frame, so I had to buy L-shaped allen wrenches.

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's correct, Karl. The bike comes pre-asembled inside that huge cardboard box. The Scicon is currently my plan B. I'll try to tear it apart during the weekend, will post pics in case that works out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take some pics. Trying to figure out what to do with mine. I did Tribike Transport to Hawaii. Worked great.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will!

I'm racing a couple of the 70.3s in China later this year and I'll be flying from NYC, so I better figure this out. No bike transport makes it to China. They were the first ones I called.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
commandersnake wrote:
I spoke with them today as well and, you are partially right. The bars will drop right off on a Speedmax CF. However, the SLX has the stem integrated to the bike's frame, so they said it takes their mechanics like 45 mins to disassemble that.

Wow, thanks very much for this intel. Destination races are stressful enough -- last thing I need is to worry about bike brain surgery. This definitely has me leaning in the direction of the CF if I add a Speedmax to the collection. I have the Evoc Bike Bag Pro which has protected my bike great for 3 trips so far.

Good luck getting yours sorted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other option, a great one for what I see, is the Premiere bike hard case. If I had the room to store it I’d get it in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Other option, a great one for what I see, is the Premiere bike hard case. If I had the room to store it I’d get it in a heartbeat.

If it'll fit in the Premier case, that is definitely the way to go. Really nice case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, inquiring minds want to know, did you get the bike in the new box? I have a similar problem. My Cube Aerium doesn't fit into my BikeBoxAlan without dissembling the pads/aero bars, which is not an easy re-assembly process not to mention fit issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just traveled to Europe from San Diego with my Speedmax w/ new Scicon Bag..It's perfect! With the new bag all you have to do is remove your pedals, loosen your extensions, and pull them towards your saddle..I like to also wrap a pull buoy under the bars with an old tube as well as sticking one between the rear fork, also use old tube to secure in place...No issues at all other then United $200 fees that stung...$25 from San Diego to Newark however...

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [sdiycdiycdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Scott! That's very useful to know.

I am still waiting for eBay to deliver the Allen Wrenches (looks like there was a problem with the previous delivery, so they sent them again) then I'll give the Biknd JetPack a try and see if the disassembly is not too complicated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I too have a CF SLX 8.0, size large and I have a Thule 699 Roundtrip case. It BARELY fits length wise. So what I do is wheels off (obviously), then I take off the rear derailleur, seat post out, then I take apart the stack and put that in a baggy, take out the 4 screws that hold the base bar to the stem/frame bit, disconnect the rear brake at the rear brake (so squeeze the brake arms and move the triangle thing out of the middle of them) to get as much slack as possible, then I strap the basebar to the fork/head tube area using one of the padded straps that came with the bike when they shipped it. Its kind of a pain but its the best way I've found so far. Then you don't have to disconnect the cables or anything from the basebar cause re-running those cables would be a PITA. The key is getting the basebar off and tied down. I hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF SLX + Bike Box = FAIL [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

Actually picked up the Premiere bike case last month and have used it a few times now. Works great, just have to remove the extensions, but the base bar can stay on which was nice.

The reason I had to go this route is because I run the max amount of stack, and when doing so the pads/spacers stuck out a bit too far for my liking on the EVOC case I had previously. I also found taking off the base bar to be a bit more time consuming than taking off the extensions/spacers. So that is why I went the Premiere Bike case route and couldn't be happier.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply