Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Aeroroad recall
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a "stop ride" not a recall.

It needs to be a recall though. The bars need to be redone as to be able to use normal clamps and the frame needs to be redone to raise the clamping area for the seat post. Canyon needs a do-over.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:

It needs to be a recall though. The bars need to be redone as to be able to use normal clamps and the frame needs to be redone to raise the clamping area for the seat post. Canyon needs a do-over.

I don't have one, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious how they do this when they are direct sell. It's not like you can just go to your local shop and get a new Canyon cockpit or bar....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
KKG wrote:

I don't have one, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious how they do this when they are direct sell. It's not like you can just go to your local shop and get a new Canyon cockpit or bar....

Has not been out very long, so they know who ordered one and I bet 95% plus still have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:

Not a recall because they don't have a solution to repair it with (not surprising considering the "failure" is only a couple of days old). I'd assume that would change once a solution is in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of glad I didn't buy one. The Campy Record bike looked really compelling for the price ( I can't believe I am thinking that because even 9K for a bike is nuts).
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this comes on top of the yet to be resolved seat post issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair to Canyon (I have no interest in them, and don't have a Canyon bike) at least they have accepted it and not tried to brush it under the carpet.

I picture taking a 'regular' bike back to the LBS under warranty. Pound to a pinch of shit the response would have been ...
- you crashed and damaged it
- you've moved the shifter and damaged it
- you damaged it during transport
- never ever happened before.

And shown the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I still ride my Aeroroad bike on Zwift too? [pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. My shop was happy to replace a recalled Shiv cockpit a few years back. The shop was as glad to know the rider wasn't going to get injured as much as they were happy to receive the labor credit from Specialized and any fees for incidentals like cables and tape.

I'm not sure where the vitriol comes from. I've always felt the shop which is "customer facing" was on the rider's side. Why wouldn't the shop do everything it could for their revenue source?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how does Canyon handle this. They can't tell you to take it back to the shop where you bought it. I can't imagine they have you ship it back to them for repairs. I can' imagine they send owners the parts and hope they install them correctly. I think this could get interesting. But I am interested in learning how well they handle this around the globe as it could be a huge benefit or hindrance to their direct to customer business model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure either...maybe just send the parts to the consumer? It'll then "be on the rider" to either do it themselves or take it to the shop of their choosing and pay "out of pocket"? I'm sticking to my Specialized and my LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they ship a new part and give a voucher for getting it installed in a local shop. At least I vaguely remember something like that happening before. And I think that would be the best way to handle it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The previous generation of Aeroad was a simply thing of beauty. It had no gimmicky seat post or handlebar. I don't know what happened to the design team but they messed up royally with the new Aeroad. All they had to do with the old Aeroad was increase the tire clearance and clean up the front cables a little bit and they would have had a simple, elegant, clean machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I thought!
It seems to me that they try to fix a problem that nobody had with this “adjustable” handlebar!
If it is not broken, don;t fix it!
Still love Canyon bikes but the price gap they once had is diminishing vs other brands!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably makes the most sense.

The adjustable design probably plays to their benefit if the issue is just with the drops and lever clamp interaction, as you can send out just the drop pieces. They also have an existing relationship with Velofix they can probably leverage for a portion of users.

On the point made in another comment about being SOL if something breaks as a result of user error: I broke the basebar on my Speedmax in 2018, I emailed canyon, and they quickly had a replacement basebar shipped to me. As a big bike shop hater, I was very happy with how easy canyon’s customer service was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Aeroad, not Aeroroad. just saying ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the new Speedmax disc (ordered the long cockpit and extensions) and Canyon insisted I needed the short cockpit and short extensions.

When the bike arrived and was too short, they admitted their error.

They shipped a new base bar with the stem, large extensions, and a new stem cover. I think the retail cost for these parts is approaching $600USD.

They offered me $200USD to cover the cost of a shop replacing the parts and re-doing the brake cables. I asked them to extend the credit to the large arm pads that I have on order waiting for them to be available. ($330 plus shipping.) Canyon gave me the arm pads and shipping totally free and it did not cost me $200USD to have my shop swap the parts. I also have a brand new short base bar and extensions that Canyon did not want back.

Sucks that they have had these problems, but like others have said, they seem to be out front in terms of admitting the problem and hopefully equally proactive in mitigating the problems for affected owners of Aeroad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience you are both right and the problem being discussed is not about bad bike shops. Once a warrantee is officially issued I don't see an issue with LBS assistance. But the real hassle is getting original companies to admit problems fall under the warrantee. Early versions of the Shiv Tri are prone to a seat post clamp delamination failure that is an engineering/design defect but Specialized has never considered this a warrantee issue. I personally ran into issues with a TRP brakes that fail in a very specific way due to their design but according to TRP its a wear and tear issue so not their problem. I had better results with Garmin following a failure of my Vectors but Garmin's policy here in the UK meant that because my unit wasn't under recall I my LBS, from whom I purchased pedals, had to stump up the cash up front to send it to Garmin. Only once Garmin was happy the unit was defective under their terms and conditions did they refund the shop and send a new unit. Given the failure was a text book example of the well known battery door problem this seemed a bit excessive. Its they grey area that is extremely frustrating for both shops and consumers. Manufactures effectively thrust their failures onto consumers and shops.

Canyon gets off the hook on one front for immediately acknowledging the problem. What is yet to be seen is how well they address the recall. The part being recalled only impacts super expensive bikes. If the solution is send off a super clunky not-aero cockpit I think the owners will rightfully be pissed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monastero wrote:
I disagree. My shop was happy to replace a recalled Shiv cockpit a few years back. The shop was as glad to know the rider wasn't going to get injured as much as they were happy to receive the labor credit from Specialized and any fees for incidentals like cables and tape.

I'm not sure where the vitriol comes from. I've always felt the shop which is "customer facing" was on the rider's side. Why wouldn't the shop do everything it could for their revenue source?

In my case, it comes from bitter experience. A particularly a fatigue failure of a frame and total evasion of the warranty replacement. Whilst under warranty. Also a past legal case in the UK of handlebar failure due to a manufacturing flaw, which caused the rider to be paralysed in the resulting crash (eventually won by the injured but after a long fight).

Maybe then your reply would (understandably) be 'shop somewhere else'. Which I now do.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon is pretty well forced to do something, it was a high visibility incident. Had this happened mid race and he swapped bikes, we would hardly know about it, but a lot of us watched it live and saw a rider with a lifetime contract roll across the line with 2/3rds of his handle bar.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As rider for the team, he did the right thing and went to the front to pull to give his teammate a shot at the win. From the sponsor point of view, not so much; he gave their product failure a lot of air time vs. just fading into the middle of the pack.

I do give credit to the team for not making up some lame story about his handlebar getting banged on the cobbles, or throwing the mechanics under the bus by saying the clamp was over torqued.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Aeroroad recall [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solution: New handlebar in July + 1000€ compensation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't see this earlier but I've had my Canyon Speedmax for less than a year and base bar cracked. Talked to another speedmax owner at a race last week and same issue. Yikes!

And as far as great service- have not seen that so far. Fast bike but don't see buying again.
Quote Reply