Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ?
Quote | Reply
Looking to enter the gravel bike market and the Topstone with the Kingpin Suspension appears to be my choice or the Giant Revolt .
Thoughts ..
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe so. Seems to get some good reviews. I think it’s tire clearance is 42mm which seems fine. I’d prefer a little more but I wouldn’t think that would really limit you in any major way. It looks like a solid bike to me. I’d considered it when I was looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both options look like good bikes. You should have alot of nice options in that price range.

You didnt specify which model revolt you were looking at. I'll assume you were looking at the advanced with Apex, and the carbon Topstone 105 (since the aluminum version does not have the kingpin suspension). The main differences I see are the 1x vs 2x drivetrain, and how big of a tire do you want to use? The Giant is 1x and has room for a wider tire (45c). The cannondale is 2x and fits a 40C or 47C if you choose to run 650b wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried out both of those and ended up with a Giant revolt 0, with 2X Ultegra.
They both rode great but I didn't like that the Cannondale had special dishing on the rear wheel.
Probably not a big deal, but wanted to be able to have 2 wheelsets for gravel and road and
wanted to be able to use a rear wheel as delivered.
The Giant has been a lot of fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good bike. I would also look at the SuperX. They are great long distance and fun to race. I have the Ultegra version and have done rides up to 200 miles on it. Frame is incredible on the '19 & '20 models.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the topstone 105 aluminium with a few upgrades like the ultegra rx800? Clutched rear mech and 11-40t cassette. So far it's been great and very comfy. Not done masses of gravel yet but what I have done with wtb 40mm nanos has been fine. And I don't mean USA gravel roads, I mean Scottish landrover/estate tracks, so pretty rough and wet. On road it's great for endurance rides too (38mm gravel king slicks).

My friend has the superX and loves that too. We did some good Scottish bike packing trips the other Year with him on the superX and 40mm nano tyres with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What tire size can you clear on the SuperX?

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend says you'd not fit more than the 40mm nanos with a good tread for wwt/winter conditions , maybe 42mm with a slicker tyre in dry conditions. Not sure the official cannondale line on size.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
The main differences I see are the 1x vs 2x drivetrain, and how big of a tire do you want to use? The Giant is 1x and has room for a wider tire (45c). The cannondale is 2x and fits a 40C or 47C if you choose to run 650b wheels.

Yeah, the Topstone Carbon has a fairly restrictive maximum tire size. The flip-side is that, at 415mm, it has shorter chain stays than most other gravel bikes. The chain stays on the Revolt Advanced are more typical for the segment at 425mm.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [Old man driving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old man driving wrote:
They both rode great but I didn't like that the Cannondale had special dishing on the rear wheel.
Probably not a big deal, but wanted to be able to have 2 wheelsets for gravel and road and

This is correct - the carbon Topstones appear to all have an asymmetrical drivetrain. This means that any rear wheel going into that bike will need a re-dish. Admittedly, this is only important if the OP plans on sharing wheelsets with that Cannondale. The Q-factor on those bikes also appears to be 10mm wider than normal. Also, Cannondales appear to have had some trouble with creaking, perhaps more than other brands. I'm drawing this from a Cyclingtips review on the Ultegra-equipped Topstone.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
And I don't mean USA gravel roads
What's "USA gravel"?
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The largest I've run is a Rene Herse 38 Barlow Pass. It will handle larger tires, but I'm not sure where it will max.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, sorry, it was a bad way to phrase that HTupolev.

I mean the sort of smoother gravel/unsealed roads I generally see in articles and videos from events in the US as a opposed to rougher rocky tracks. I guess I was just trying to say it was great on rougher stuff.
Last edited by: Longdog: Feb 17, 20 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, i think the Topstone looks really cool.

It's interesting to me that Ted King has been racing gravel with his SuperX instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
Old man driving wrote:

This is correct - the carbon Topstones appear to all have an asymmetrical drivetrain. This means that any rear wheel going into that bike will need a re-dish. Admittedly, this is only important if the OP plans on sharing wheelsets with that Cannondale. The Q-factor on those bikes also appears to be 10mm wider than normal. Also, Cannondales appear to have had some trouble with creaking, perhaps more than other brands. I'm drawing this from a Cyclingtips review on the Ultegra-equipped Topstone.

Ugh. Creaking. Press fit bottom bracket? Annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd need to check but I'm pretty sure my 105 topstone isn't push fit bb. I wouldn't have knowingly bought a bike with push fit.

Edit. FSA omega English threaded bb
Last edited by: Longdog: Feb 18, 20 0:45
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
I'd need to check but I'm pretty sure my 105 topstone isn't push fit bb. I wouldn't have knowingly bought a bike with push fit.

Edit. FSA omega English threaded bb

Ah. That’s good.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Topstone 105 Legit Starter Gravel bike ? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon model comes with a pressfit BB, alloy models come with threaded BB's. IMO this is one of the many reasons I think the alloy version of this bike is the way to go.
Quote Reply