Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Candence / zwift workouts
Quote | Reply
I'm new to cycling training... I thought you just ride a bike and eventually get quicker at doing it 😜

Doing an FTP builder over 4 weeks on zwift (did a ramp test before and will do once after)...

my issue is the candence requirements seems rather high.... even in the warm up and rest intervals the - keep it steady at an easy 85rpm - isn't very comfortable for sustained periods and 100 ruins me fairly quick but I can do higher power output at lower candence (and smoother) when doing just free rides....

Now I know each rider has. their own style with plus and minus points... but I find it frustrating struggling to reach the higher target rpms and maintain them smoothly...

I think I might have just answered the question I was going to ask in that...I suck at high candence so need to train at high candence but also make time for just comfy pace rides...it's the same for running...I'm no sprinter... wonder if it's because I'm a taller person.. these long legs take some time to turn over ...or as za newbie...I just suck 😢😂 (starting to train has humbled me alot these last 12 weeks!)

merry Christmas!
Quote Reply
Re: Candence / zwift workouts [skutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit the power numbers and don't worry about the cadence. As your power goes up over time it's likely cadence will follow. Doesn't work the other way round though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a product of the 1980's high cadence era. It was spin 100+ all the time, i got good at it. I took time off (from cycling) in the 90's and got back into it in 2002.

I started spinning like i used to and it tired me out so i spun slower and was able to ride well. In 2006 i got my first power meter and that reinforced the spin slower thoughts. That has worked well for many years.

Enter 2020 when i get into track cycling and am fixed to a max gearing of 88 inches (50x15). Now back up to 95+ rpm producing more power for short 30 min periods than i have in years.

The point is that there is more than one way to do things. Perceived effort says slow cadence is easier, science says slow cadence is more economical, experience says power can be produced at different cadences and finding out what's best for you is worth the time investment.
Last edited by: jaretj: Dec 25, 20 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Candence / zwift workouts [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Hit the power numbers and don't worry about the cadence. As your power goes up over time it's likely cadence will follow. Doesn't work the other way round though.

^^^^^^This.

Cadence is highly individual (LS held mid-80s during his recent hour record, Wiggins was well over 100). Racing cyclists typically maintain high cadence for three reasons:

1. They have high power outputs so it puts less strain on the legs (I recall Alex Dowsett doing an "easy" 8hr endurance ride at 250W).

2. Similar to #1, it helps them keep their legs fresher during 160km races for the big efforts that come in the finale (high cadence fatigues the legs less, but has higher cardiovascular demands).

3. It's easier to accelerate from a high cadence, which is key when you have to launch or follow attacks.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm the opposite...the minute i start dropping into the low 80's, i'm fading. on average i keep ~90-95.

i compare it to bench pressing. quick fast reps are much easier that slower controlled reps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good advice above, but the key is that cadence is a bit of a personal thing, but I'd not say that height (tall) is a reason you can't spin. I've always been a spinner at 6'4" and all legs, where on my old 15 mile each way commute journeys I would consistently be at 94rpm an hour each way, uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind. Now, 20 years later I have actually gone up slightly, 98rpm in real world and 103 on zwift unless I concentrate to get it down (erg has the habit of reducing the resistance as your cadence goes up, so can drift above where you want).

Indeed for me, a couple of rides with lower cadence and I know something is wrong - I'm getting sick or I've a hip/ham/back issue that my physio is going to find next session.

All good with the 'just ride', although if you are down in the low 80s, be careful about your technique. Low cadence is fine, if it's low cadence good technique. Less so to help you get better if it's low cadence pistoning. You can ride low cadence with good or bad, but you've got to have good technique to hold 100rpm for a while.
Quote Reply