Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cancun Multi Sport Options
Quote | Reply
My swim club is having a camp in Cancun during the third week of Jan.

I just signed up and plan 2x per day swims (7 days on the ground to swim, so target is 40K), at least one pool swim and the second may be open water. From you guys who have been over I would like to know:

1. Is it worth renting a road bike or take mine down.....riding looks fairly boring and flat
  2. What should I do for open water swimming. If I can rope some teammate in and get others who want to Kayak, I may try an open water 10K
  3. Mountain bike rentals?
  4. Hoping to do some 100/100 jogging on beach if my disc injury behaves

Camp is based at the Cancun Moon Palace Resort if that provides any context.
Quote Reply
Re: Cancun Multi Sport Options [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, I just got back from Cancun and saw zero cyclists mid-week. Very congested in the hotel zone. On the weekends the local cycling clubs were out in big pelotons with a sag car directly behind them with lights flashing. About forty five minutes south in Playa del Carmen, I drove by what looked like a mountain bike park just before Xcaret.

Safe travels,
Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the resort you're staying at is not in the Zona Hotelera, it's still on one of the main drags in Cancun and basically across the street from the airport. It's super congested around there. No way you'd want to be riding around there.

Your second question is a joke right? At last check there's a beautiful body of water right outside your hotel. :-)

Don't know much about pool swims nearby. How big are the pools at the Moon Palace? I stayed at the Live Aqua Cancun last April and their main pool was probably 200 feet long. There were a few people swimming laps early morning. The pool will obviously get super crowded once the "normal" people get up and moving but early morning there's nobody in the pools.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I just signed up and plan 2x per day swims (7 days on the ground to swim, so target is 40K), at least one pool swim and the second may be open water. From you guys who have been over I would like to know:

1. Is it worth renting a road bike or take mine down.....riding looks fairly boring and flat
  2. What should I do for open water swimming. If I can rope some teammate in and get others who want to Kayak, I may try an open water 10K

Dev, it's a swim camp. If you're doing 2 a days for a week, you should be pretty shelled, and one of your goals (if you are doing the camp to get faster, as opposed to an excuse to go to Mexico and out of the cold) should be to recover as much as possible between swims so you can maintain intensity in the workouts that you are there to do. I wouldn't bother riding. The beaches down there are supposed to be beautiful, if you do need to do something else in addition to the workouts, I'd take a mask, snorkel and fins and do some snorkelling. rent a hobie catamaran for an afternoon and go sailing. stuff like that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cancun Multi Sport Options [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev, it's a swim camp. If you're doing 2 a days for a week, you should be pretty shelled, and one of your goals (if you are doing the camp to get faster, as opposed to an excuse to go to Mexico and out of the cold) should be to recover as much as possible between swims so you can maintain intensity in the workouts that you are there to do. I wouldn't bother riding. The beaches down there are supposed to be beautiful, if you do need to do something else in addition to the workouts, I'd take a mask, snorkel and fins and do some snorkelling. rent a hobie catamaran for an afternoon and go sailing. stuff like that.

Dammit, and here I was trying to sneak in some other sports during a swim camp and got told by the real fish what I am supposed to do on a swim camp (I've never actually done an organized one, just my own ones at the London Aquatic Center over a 4 day stretch. You're right, if I do swim 5-8K per day, what will likely happen is that I'll be in the hotel either catching up with the guys at work or posting on ST and recovering for the next session.

There is a 50m pool at the hotel to answer GMAN's question. From what I gather the club has it for sessions

Does not really look that deep

Hopefully they have some lanes set up!
Quote Reply