Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cancer warning on Orca wetsuits?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. I currently have an Orca Equip, but I've noticed that on some sites they display this warning:

"WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including DEHP, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, click in the warning icon, or visit www.P65Warnings.ca.gov."

DEHP seems to be everywhere - which in itself is a bit worrying, but is there any reason this warning only seems to appear with Orca wetsuits? Are other brands therefore 'safer'? I find that hard to believe - Don't almost all of them use Yamamoto neoprene, just in differing grades and positions?

I'm sure that in realty, the risk is extremely low, but I'd always try to avoid such risks if alternative options are readily available.
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer warning on Orca wetsuits? [Hiphophopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything in California causes cancer. (pink??)
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer warning on Orca wetsuits? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think even orange juice probably comes with that warning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no expert, but DEHP is a common plasticizer which makes plastics and related synthetics more flexible. I doubt that it is only in orca suits, more likely it is in all wetsuits made from neoprene. DEHP does not seem to be acutely toxic, but it is a known endocrine disruptor. That said, various potent endocrine disruptors are nearly everywhere; in canned food; in canned drinks, sodas, and beer; in nearly all foods packaged in plastic; and so on. So *probably* you will not get a hazardous dose from your wetsuit. But l emphasize the 'probably' part. We are all guinea pigs here in one of biggest experiment in history.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live in CA you soon learn to quickly ignore any of those labels. Literally everything you see and every where you go has one of those labels. The cancer wards at hospitals have big warning labels near the doors that warn you about the cancer risks of going inside.

They set the threshold so low that it defeats the purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: Cancer warning on Orca wetsuits? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
If you live in CA you soon learn to quickly ignore any of those labels. Literally everything you see and every where you go has one of those labels. The cancer wards at hospitals have big warning labels near the doors that warn you about the cancer risks of going inside.

They set the threshold so low that it defeats the purpose.

+1

Every building at the local mall has a Prop65 warning by the door. I work at a software company (the only thing we produce is code) and there is a Prop65 warning by the door.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiphophopper wrote:
I'm in the market for a new wetsuit. I currently have an Orca Equip, but I've noticed that on some sites they display this warning:

"WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including DEHP, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, click in the warning icon, or visit www.P65Warnings.ca.gov."

DEHP seems to be everywhere - which in itself is a bit worrying, but is there any reason this warning only seems to appear with Orca wetsuits? Are other brands therefore 'safer'? I find that hard to believe - Don't almost all of them use Yamamoto neoprene, just in differing grades and positions?

I'm sure that in realty, the risk is extremely low, but I'd always try to avoid such risks if alternative options are readily available.
The Disneyland Resort contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive garm.
Quote Reply