Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian Radio Station - guess what.
Quote | Reply
This morning at about 7:35 a.m. Q107 in Toronto discussed the recent situation in the U.S. regarding the comments about getting cyclists off the road.

The hosts agreed with the Americans views saying cyclists should not be on the roads because they don't pay gas taxes and in order to get them off the road, motorists should either open their door or put a stick through the spokes. They commented that it is humerous to wath a cyclist flip over a car door.

Complaints can be made to the C.R.T.C (Canadian equivalent of FCC) at www.crtc.ca.

Q107 can be found at www.q107.com

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Radio Station - guess what. [Dan3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote the CRTC about this and amazingly, they replied. I have to say I am impressed, even if it turns out the e-mail should have been directed to somebody else. I figure if the CBSC gets my e-mail through the CRTC they will probably at least read it. Their response is below.

Gerard

-----------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Vroomen:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC.

The broadcasting industry has its own self-regulating organization, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC), which administers codes of industry
standards and mediates complaints from members of the public.

Given the concerns you have raised, I have asked the CBSC to pursue this matter with Q107 (CILQ-FM) on your behalf.

Should you wish to contact the CBSC directly, you may do so by emailing info@cbsc.ca or by writing to P.O. Box 3265, Station D, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6H8.

I am also providing you with a link to the Fact Sheet entitled 'How to file a Broadcasting Complaint' which explains the CRTC complaints process :
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/G8.htm

Yours sincerely,
Audrey Burke
Client Services
CRTC

1-877-249-2782 /info@crtc.gc.ca/ télécopieur/facsimile (819) 994-0218
Conseil de la radiodiffusion et des télécommunications canadiennes / Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2

Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission / Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2

c.c. CBSC

Attachments:
1.DOC
November 3 - Incoming complaint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I missed that. I am suprised that Derringer would say things like that. He is usually someone that is well spoken on topics and I often agree with his views. He is a self admitted fat ass though and obviously doesn't get the many reasons cycling is better for everyone.

Looks like I'll stick with Humble & Fred in the morning from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Radio Station - guess what. [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, all these counsils don't seem very busy, or they are well organized. I am flabbergasted that these people actually provide customer service and respond to complaints. Here is the response from the CBSC, which got my complaint from the CRTC. Now I'll have to wait for Q107 to respond.

But already this whole thing leads me to believe that complaining works, I don't think the radio host will be too thrilled to find out he can be held accountable and has to justify his remarks to his station boss.

Gerard.

-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Vroomen,

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) has received your correspondence concerning comments made against cyclists. It was
forwarded to us by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC). At the outset, I would like to take this
opportunity to provide you with some general information about the CBSC, the codes it administers and the complaints process.

The CBSC is a voluntary organization set up to consider complaints about programs aired by its members, Canada’s private sector
broadcasters. Four industry codes, namely, a code of ethics, a code concerning television violence, a sex-role portrayal code and a code of
journalistic ethics, serve as guidelines for television and radio programming.

The CBSC considers that direct dialogue between a complainant and a broadcaster is the best means of resolving a concern. This dialogue
is most productive when engaged soon after the broadcast in question, as broadcasters are only required to retain tapes of their
programming for 28 days following its broadcast. When a broadcaster receives a complaint, it replies to the complainant within 21 days
and must retain the tape(s) of the broadcast until the complaint is satisfied or until any Council process is concluded.

We have asked CILQ-FM (also known as Q107) to respond to your concerns. You should be receiving the station's response soon and we
hope that this will resolve your concerns. If you are not satisfied with the broadcaster's response, please return the Ruling Request Form
provided below within 14 days of receiving the broadcaster's response.The CBSC Secretariat will then consider your request to have your
complaint adjudicated by a Panel of industry and public representatives.

Sincerely,

Via email

Deana Connelly
Correspondence Officer,
Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just one more reason why I stopped listening to Q107. I basically stopped the day that they took Stern off the air here in Canada. Love or hate Stern, I have never heard him promote violence to that extent.

Gerard, very commendable that you sent the note to the CRTC. It will be interesting to see Q's response on the matter. They took A LOT of heat when Stern was on the air, so I would guess that Q107 is still on their "hot list". Keep us informed as to what Q's response is, and also if Derrengier says anything tomorrow morning.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Radio Station - guess what. [Tri-ing in TO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sucks.. I am (was) a huge fan of Q107, and whenever i'm in toronto i listen to it, and i am definatly going to complain to the radio station, its advertisers and the CRTC..

I just can't understand why radiohosts would say things like that.. makes no sense..

David
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Radio Station - guess what. [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just can't understand why radiohosts would say things like that.. makes no sense..

It makes sense if you subscribe to the "any publicity is good publicity" theory. They want a buzz about their station, good or bad, so they say things that'll tick people off.

Hopefully, the only publicity they will get is when the DJs are fired.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Radio Station - guess what. [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I just can't understand why radiohosts would say things like that.. makes no sense..
[/reply]

There are a lot more car radios than bike radios, that's probably why.

Gerard.
Quote Reply